SiouxSports.com Forum

(Almost too soon) 2022 season

undVBfan

I watched a little last night also. 

What I saw is a mostly new group* with a new coach trying to figure it out. Given that's what they are, they are what they are right now. 

*I say 'group' because they didn't appear to interact as a 'team' yet. They didn't seem to "just know" how teammates would react in situations. 

Even just being able to win the third set and force a fourth was a sign of improvement.  UND had set point at 24-23 in the first set, yet gave up 3 straight to lose.  In set three, it was same scenario, UND at set point 24-23 and UND won 26-24.  Those are the little things that help make you believe.  We're probably a little too optimistic for Tupac's first year (I know I am), but I think if we let him build his team over the next 1-2 years, he'll bring us to where we want to be.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, undVBfan said:

It's way too early for the crap, and not needed. I see signs the ship is starting to change directions. The change is not going to be instant, as much as you might want to. Keep looking for little improvements, enough of them will turn into a big improvement. And I thought they were competitive, just little spurts of giving away a couple of points that made the difference. Cleaning up those will turn close losses into close wins.

Ball control is still an issue, when isn't it? Both middles are new (transfer and freshman) and good connections take time. Norris hitting seems to be new, and why wasn't she hitting last year? And I didn't see much of a legit non-last resort backrow attack, that would take a lot of heat off the outsides when not in system.

Did you see #1 for Fordham? Hits a *very* heavy ball (ask Carney) with a lot of range, fun player to watch.

Just need to keep getting better every week.  Then the results will start to come.  

If they are showing some fight and competitivness that wasn't there last year, that already is a great sign.

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, undVBfan said:

It's way too early for the crap, and not needed. I see signs the ship is starting to change directions. The change is not going to be instant, as much as you might want to. Keep looking for little improvements, enough of them will turn into a big improvement. And I thought they were competitive, just little spurts of giving away a couple of points that made the difference. Cleaning up those will turn close losses into close wins.

Ball control is still an issue, when isn't it? Both middles are new (transfer and freshman) and good connections take time. Norris hitting seems to be new, and why wasn't she hitting last year? And I didn't see much of a legit non-last resort backrow attack, that would take a lot of heat off the outsides when not in system.

Did you see #1 for Fordham? Hits a *very* heavy ball (ask Carney) with a lot of range, fun player to watch.

Agreed. Change does not come overnight with a new head coach give him time to implement his goals and letting everyone adjust . I would give it a bit before judging the team too harsh. 3 seems to be really fitting into the libero spot and I have been impressed with the middles thus far. they haven't done amazing things but are having some decent plays. wondering why they keep switching them around so much. 11 has played in half the matches and the 2 freshman middles keep getting switched back and forth. does anyone think they will play the graduate from Sweden more? No position seems secured except libero and setters.

Anyone have thoughts about the 9 new players they brought in?

On 9/10/2022 at 2:06 PM, SiouxFan100 said:

Lost 2nd set to fordham

25 - 20

zero timeouts taken

I guess our coach said something about letting the players “figure it out”

I say I could coach as well if I just let our players figure it out

What would you have said to them? It was our sides mistakes but they will iron out through the season. I am holding out hope for this hire good credentials, and his wife played professionally so she is bound to know the game. Looking forward to watching our lady hawks this fall. 

I would give it another year before the team really makes their turnaround, new coach needs to bring in his own recruits.

Well, you call a timeout to change the momentum - maybe ice the server - call a play - get your players focused -discuss what you anticipate your opponents will do - idk - what does a coach say at timeouts

I just find it odd

of course it will take time

of course I am impatient 

that all said

I believe we have hired the correct coach and they will turn this thing around 

looking forward to UND volleyball being a thing again

50 minutes ago, SiouxFan100 said:

Well, you call a timeout to change the momentum - maybe ice the server - call a play - get your players focused -discuss what you anticipate your opponents will do - idk - what does a coach say at timeouts

I just find it odd

of course it will take time

of course I am impatient 

that all said

I believe we have hired the correct coach and they will turn this thing around 

looking forward to UND volleyball being a thing again

I think every coach has their philosophy. Sometimes the girls are coming out making great moves and playing together the other half its like they are scared. After the last couple years it seemed like the team didn't play with much heart or love for the game. Maybe he is trying to let them find their groove without him getting on top of them and stressing them out more but maybe they need a bit more pressure. 

22 minutes ago, forksandspoons said:

Finally got back in the win column today! Against Drake, who is now 8-4 and beat Iowa 

I saw that ! Impressive win. I saw the first set score and quit following.  Just checked again now and they won !! I give alot of credit to the coaching staff and players to hang in there.  They could have definitely gave up and I think last year they would have.  Let the conference schedule begin ! 

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, NewUndFan said:

I saw that ! Impressive win. I saw the first set score and quit following.  Just checked again now and they won !! I give alot of credit to the coaching staff and players to hang in there.  They could have definitely gave up and I think last year they would have.  Let the conference schedule begin ! 

Already?!?

That was fast

I didn't see any of the matches, but from looking at the stats it looks like the starters are not completely set. I think all of the middles on the roster played at least one set, but I'm guessing they're getting close to knowing who will start on Thursday. The setters and libero had a different look for the weekend, Norris and Carney set and McCormick looked to be libero. No starting line-ups that I could find in the Box Scores, so I'm just guessing from the stats. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, undVBfan said:

I didn't see any of the matches, but from looking at the stats it looks like the starters are not completely set. I think all of the middles on the roster played at least one set, but I'm guessing they're getting close to knowing who will start on Thursday. The setters and libero had a different look for the weekend, Norris and Carney set and McCormick looked to be libero. No starting line-ups that I could find in the Box Scores, so I'm just guessing from the stats. 

Stockman played in all sets in the matches the other middles switched around, Lundvisquist played in an entire match and did well. Olsen seems to have secured a spot she did really well from the stats. Wonder why Sewell wasn’t played this weekend

I noticed that same things. A few spots look to be claimed, at least for now. Others may be continue to see a revolving cast until someone really steps up. Sewell not playing at all, other than seemingly a single service ace, is surprising. Lots could go into it, illness being one, but I know nothing (to quote Sgt. Schultz) and I won't even try to guess the reason. After Thursday we'll have more info to fuel any speculation. 

And conference begins!

Western and St. Thomas this weekend. Wondering what the starting lineups will be. My guess is Norris, Carney, Olsen, Ward, and Gayle will all be starting. Sewell should make some appearances but the only stable position for setter seems to be Norris. She is having a good year both spiking and setting. 

Looking forward to seeing who else is on the court and what the set line up will be now that conference is starting. 

Hopefully we can pull out a win this weekend and get back to being a real force in the conference. I know I’ll be attending the next home game to see the lady Hawks in action at the Sioux Center. 

Any other opinions or anyone seeing trends? Will be following along the stats. 

• Upvote 1

These were 2 of the winnable conference matches last year, so this might be a good indication of initial improvements under new management. Still, it's baby steps. Even though I see things going in the right direction, it'll take time to get back to level of just a few years ago.

These will be the first matches that really matter, so it will be interesting to see who is on the court. I agree with siouxvblove's assessment, those 5 will be on the court. McCormick looks to have secured her place in the backrow. What color jersey will depend upon where Carney plays. And after watching Norris hit in the scrimmages I wondered why she wasn't hitting last season. Don't answer that question. :)