SiouxSports.com Forum

UND (4-9) @ NDSU (8-4) 12/22 7 PM

SWSiouxMN

Better than I thought, just thinking about the two we lost in the portal last year that are sitting on the bench at NKU and JM, would be a different team. I'm planning a retirement road trip to watch them in Omaha and Denver in the new year - thinking if we are back at full strength we have a shot at those two games. Next week is gonna be tough - but there's always a chance. 

UND has below average team. NDSU has above average team. Game played in Fargo. Result: as expected, NDSU wins by double digits. 

State of the program: HC Sather has been underwhelming at UND. Not successful hire thus far. Big picture, How does UND Basketball succeed in the shadow of UND ice puck? Obviously, Chaves doesn’t have the answer. Again, like Sather, Chaves has been an underwhelming hire also.

29 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

UND has below average team. NDSU has above average team. Game played in Fargo. Result: as expected, NDSU wins by double digits. 

State of the program: HC Sather has been underwhelming at UND. Not successful hire thus far. Big picture, How does UND Basketball succeed in the shadow of UND ice puck? Obviously, Chaves doesn’t have the answer. Again, like Sather, Chaves has been an underwhelming hire also.

Has chaves had a good hire yet?

1 hour ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Eaglestaff is a really good get for Sather. He potentially could be a program changer. Unfortunately right now half the roster is D2 talent pressed into big minutes at the D1 level. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Retention of talent.  UND basketball and hockey can exist at the same time and is a poor excuse for the state of the roster.  If Sather was able to hang on to even one of the two players that left last year and wasn’t a grad transfer this team looks different.  If he is unable to retain the young talent on the team this year I will begin to wonder.  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, homer said:

Retention of talent.  UND basketball and hockey can exist at the same time and is a poor excuse for the state of the roster.  If Sather was able to hang on to even one of the two players that left last year and wasn’t a grad transfer this team looks different.  If he is unable to retain the young talent on the team this year I will begin to wonder.  

Absolutely, history tells us this.  Dave Gunther and Gino both had very high performing programs in the early 80's.   

• Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Eaglestaff is a really good get for Sather. He potentially could be a program changer. Unfortunately right now half the roster is D2 talent pressed into big minutes at the D1 level. 

I am questioning how much Sather had in recruiting him.  Sounds like he is coming here because his uncle was a star at UND. 

21 minutes ago, NewUndFan said:

I am questioning how much Sather had in recruiting him.  Sounds like he is coming here because his uncle was a star at UND. 

If for some reason he doesn’t pan out Sather will get the blame so I’m willing to give credit for getting him here.  

I watched one of his games a few weeks ago and my gosh he is a good player.  

Bruns needs to be the man going forward and yes, UND needs to hold on to him and the rest of this freshman class.  Can't build the sandcastle if the waves keep knocking down your first layer. 

I think T has put together a couple of good games and that needs to continue.  I'm impressed with his free throw shooting (around 82%, that pretty good for a big).  He just needs to keep playing strong.  

I'm glad that Igbanugo is finding himself again but... is Panoam going to tap back into that magic he had during conference season last year?

Nero and Sueker need to get back soon and hopefully Levias can actually get healthy enough to get into the lineup.  What is his timeframe?

5 hours ago, homer said:

If would be different if Ihenacho had stayed and if a certain grad program on campus was in-person, Rebraca wouldn't have left. 

Yes, if there is another massive departure of talent, it will be time to ask questions.   I don't really count year 1 as that is a housecleaning of players that barely can get on the court at the D2 level (minus Hazekamp) and Moody (who has been a bench player at SUU, hasn't topped his stats from his freshman year.)

25 minutes ago, SiouxFan100 said:

Panoam doesn’t seem to get open shots

He doesn't look like the same confident player.  The guy that tore up USD when they had Umude and AJ and rolled into the Betty at 10-0 and send them back to Verm with 2 losses.  That was an awesome display of:  You know what I am going to do and you can't do a damn thing about it to stop me.