SiouxSports.com Forum

Looking Toward The Fall

geaux_sioux

https://undfootball360.com/news/und-football-a-2021-spring-review-and-look-ahead-to-fall/

360 guesses for Seniors who will return.  Turner, Holm, Haas, Galvin, Paulson, Richter. Potentially: Nguon

IF that happens, that would be incredible. Not a home run, but pretty close. 

• Upvote 3

Paulson (TE) to the transfer portal. This is one (w/ Finke) where I was 50/50 on if I wanted them to return. Love the young talent UND has at TE. Appears the coaching staff decided to go younger this fall at that position. 

15 Seniors eligible to return. My updated wish list with the mindset that this is the most important Fall in UND Football history. Keeping momentum, get the ball starting to roll down hill (recruiting / fan support). I don't want a complete "burn the boats" philosophy, but being very strategic. Paulson is the perfect example. You're able to move on, because of the young talent that will backfill. 

Wish List:

• Holm 
  • Galvin
  • Canady (Depending on severity of injury)
  • Stage 
  • Tuner
  • Haas
  • Tobin and/or Nguon
  • Richter

49 minutes ago, SiouxFan100 said:

How much of the players leaving is by choice? Are players having after the season meetings with coaches to determine if they will be playing next year or the year after? Are players being forced out/ scholarships being pulled?

Players usually aren’t forced out unless there are disciplinary reasons. Sometimes guys are cut from a normal spring roster, but those are usually more of camp bodies than recruited players. The coaches will be frank with guys who are buried on the depth chart. It’s often up to those players to chose if they want to chance all that hard work on possibly never really seeing the field or search for a new opportunity. But for scholarship guys to get cut is very rare. 

On 5/4/2021 at 1:58 PM, gundy1124 said:

Omaha Kid to Texas St. (that went well for him)

Another kid.....maybe from Co went to Wyoming (don't remember his name)

Graetz played us for fools and went to NDSU

Landed Tommy Gun as a Grand Valley State commit

So, was Graetz the one that was supposed to take over the Bison offense next fall, or is that somebody else?

6 minutes ago, Dustin said:

So, was Graetz the one that was supposed to take over the Bison offense next fall, or is that somebody else?

He would have been 4th in line in the fall. I'm guessing it would have been (1) VT Transfer (2) Miller (3) New True Freshman (4) Graetz

5 minutes ago, AJS said:

He would have been 4th in line in the fall. I'm guessing it would have been (1) VT Transfer (2) Miller (3) New True Freshman (4) Graetz

I'm glad we ended up with Tommy instead of a 4th stringer. The reality is we would not have had the season we did without him. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, AJS said:

Ok, so it's the VT transfer that's suppose to resurrect the Bison offense.  The Graetz kid seems like a kid we lucked out on by not getting.

5 minutes ago, Dustin said:

Ok, so it's the VT transfer that's suppose to resurrect the Bison offense.  The Graetz kid seems like a kid we lucked out on by not getting.

The best QB is always the one you haven't seen yet ;)

2 minutes ago, JohnboyND7 said:

The best QB is always the one you haven't seen yet ;)

God, don't we know that in Grand Forks this year.  A redshirt freshman starts every game and leads the team to 5-2, but yet, let's see what the other guy can do.

10 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

Players usually aren’t forced out unless there are disciplinary reasons. Sometimes guys are cut from a normal spring roster, but those are usually more of camp bodies than recruited players. The coaches will be frank with guys who are buried on the depth chart. It’s often up to those players to chose if they want to chance all that hard work on possibly never really seeing the field or search for a new opportunity. But for scholarship guys to get cut is very rare. 

I agree with this. My mind is wondering though if a majority of our seniors stay, with the next class coming in if they don't cut more kids than usual. If that is the case, I would guess the coaches have enough decency to say hey we are going to cut ya if you don't go in the portal, so just save yourself the embarrassment and get in there. 

10 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

Normally yes. Guessing there will be "this season" seniors who are told their scholarships aren't going to be available next year even though they have an extra year of eligibility (Paulson is probably an example of this). The athletic department is requiring scholarship levels to stay at normal levels even with extra availabilty this coming year (instead of kicking the can down the road). Not sure if that will cause them to "adjust" any other scholarships since football can offer partial but you are correct that the staff will be upfront with players.

12 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Dude is roughly the size of Quincy and was a member of the Elite 11. He was a 4 star recruit. Top 20 qb nationally. If he could throw, at all, he’d still be in Virginia.

So this dude must have taken Trey Lance spot with the 4 star and Elite rankings.  Do the Bison change up offense to go read option?  How do you take advantage of a QB who can run but struggles throwing?

6 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

So this dude must have taken Trey Lance spot with the 4 star and Elite rankings.  So do the Bison change up offense to go read option?  How do you take advantage of a QB who can run but struggles throwing?

I'm guessing that is something the UND coaching staff really has no desire to sort thru and I don't blame them.