SiouxSports.com Forum

Hawks @ Leathernecks

Midwestern Hawk

I honestly don't mind what the score is right now. Would I prefer to have held them to 0 points? Sure, but WIU adjusted, went heavier on their protection and made some good pass plays downfield. We adjusted after the muffed punt by bringing more pressure.

As for not scoring more, I don't mind. Our offense isn't flashy. We pop the occasional big run, Schuster has hit some nice deep balls today, but we aren't a quick-hitting team like SDSU. Grind the ball, keep converting third down, and by the 4th quarter our offensive line should have fully imposed their will and we get the win.

• Upvote 1

On 3/8/2021 at 11:45 AM, geaux_sioux said:

Gotta keep in mind the Macomb factor. That place lulls teams to sleep. Not a sexy road trip. We will learn about our teams focus this weekend. A true top tier team can go in there and grind out a dominant win.

Did we not just grind out a dominant half where UND doubled WIU in yards, first downs, and TOP? Seems we met your expectations for a top tier team from earlier in the week. 

• Upvote 1

Half Time Stats:

Rushing Yards 87-22

Passing Yards 211-123

TOP 20:45 to 9:15

3rd Down 6-7/1-5

Penalties 0 to 6/40

Turnovers 2 to 0

UND is playing a great game need to clean up the turnovers..

Keep running the ball..  they have to be wearing down..  Keep Otis on the bench..  bring in Mitchell.

2 minutes ago, MNHawk said:

Did we not just grind out a dominant half where UND doubled WIU in yards, first downs, and TOP? Seems we met your expectations for a top tier team from earlier in the week. 

Defense isn’t as dominant as I’d like to see. WIU is horrible. Let’s hope we wipe our ass with them in the second half and get Quincy some valuable minutes.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

I agree . I just think it’s wise to use head-to-head competition over comparative half time scores.

Like I said, the end result doesn’t tell the whole story, we got lucky through a very unlikely sequence. They were on the verge of blowing our doors off and we would have had to start throwing the ball downfield to try and keep pace. That’s not a recipe for success with our team. We had a lights out second half in that game no doubt but I maintain that we narrowly avoided disaster in the first half.

6 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Welcome to road games in the Valley.  We are playing good, not great. Keep grinding it and get the run game going. Don’t turn the all over and control the time of possession. Then we will be just fine.

Exactly, this is how you win on the road..  keep grinding it out run the clock..  keep the ball away from the home team.

No excuse for turnovers. I wouldn’t put a lot of stock in comparative scores. Otherwise one might write off the Bison.  We are a good team but need to get better each week. I think we learned in the Big Sky that on any given weekend.....  same goes for this league. We are going to have to figure out how to eliminate those long pass plays especially when we are out of position. Be patient. I wouldn’t worry about rankings or comparisons except for how to deal with WIU. Every team we have played has been able to make big plays and score. These teams aren’t Morningside. We need to get a stop first series second half, eliminate mistakes and we should be ok. Go Hawks and thanks for the updates. 

• Upvote 2

If I was dean of the WIU broadcast school I might shut this stream down for fear that the accreditation board is watching.

Midco, Heinert and shut your mouth Kasowski are truly excellent. 

The bison broadcasters are quite lame. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, NC Sioux said:

If I was dean of the WIU broadcast school I might shut this stream down for fear that the accreditation board is watching.

Midco, Heinert and shut your mouth Kasowski are truly excellent. 

The bison broadcasters are quite lame. 

I have no idea how we’ve been able to hold on to Heinert this long. He’s an absolute pro.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2