SiouxSports.com Forum

UND (7-15, 6-7) vs USD (11-8, 9-2) 2/14 230

SWSiouxMN

Gonna get interesting as the announcers said seeding will be based on winning percentage not wins/losses. Does not look like we can move up in the standings much with that criteria. SDSU has only played 7 games - obviously due to Covid issues.

11 minutes ago, CMSioux said:

Gonna get interesting as the announcers said seeding will be based on winning percentage not wins/losses. Does not look like we can move up in the standings much with that criteria. SDSU has only played 7 games - obviously due to Covid issues.

UND is looking at either the 5th or the 6th seed.  What they do in Omaha is going to determine a lot.  

Only way they can move up to 4th is UND sweeping Omaha and SDSU completely falling apart down the stretch. 

Those WIU and DU losses hurt, but the USD sweep took a lot of the sting out of them. 

1 minute ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

has/had russ armchembault kid played this year or redshirt..

tyree>mason

He has but was injured this weekend with ribs.   He hasn't been too bad off of the bench and shooting the ball well from 3. 

He would have been nice pairing with Tyree, but got Nero instead, who has stepped up nicely being a bench threat who can score in bunches. 

• Like 1

I can't say enough about this weekend.  UND finally strung together two good games and played like a team that could make a run for Tuesday Night in Sioux Falls.  

Panoam bookend a great weekend with another great performance that might have been even better that yesterday!  It was so much from 3 (although he hit a couple of big shots from downtown) but it was his attacking of the basket.  USD could not stop him... and he knew it.  Dominate performance from the line. An amazing story that is just getting better and better. 

Lets talk Mitchell Sueker.  Big development today:  He went 3-3 from 3.  If he can hit that shot going forward, look out... UND will have a dangerous weapon off of the bench.  He did a great job in handling the bigger USD posts the entire weekend and helped big time on Umude when Rebraca and Sims weren't on him.

Nero provided a great spurt in the 2nd half.  Rebraca battled and knocked down some shots.  Ihenacho was limited in his scoring but stuff the stat sheet with his rebounding and his distributing.  Sims did a nice job on the defensive end on Umude. 

31 Assists and 12 turnovers this weekend.  That will get it done.  25-44 from 3.  They got really great looks all weekend.  UND was able to drive, make great passes, and bury the shot.   

USD nearly made it interesting towards the end but UND did just enough to make sure they won. AJ is that nuclear weapon that can score a bunch of points quickly. Did they pull off of the gas pedal too soon?  Perhaps, but its two wins against the Yotes.

Back to .500 and matched the win total from last year.  Now go down to Omaha and get two more wins.  Time to end this long losing streak to the Mavs. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SkoHawks said:

Great weekend....did we hire a shooting coach or something? Seems like Everyone is just stroking it a lot more confidently. 

They are. This has been building for a while.  The 3 point shooting has improve since the 2nd NDSU game.  Panoam and Igbanugo had been the most consistent at it, but Nero has shown his stroke, Sims has come around to nail his shots, and more recently we have seen Brady and Sueker find their strokes it appears.  Ihenacho has shown to hit the outside shot as well.  Team has shot 42% from 3 in the last 9 games (84/200).  The first 15 games were at 28.9% (86/297).

They are getting better looks not only from the penetration but from the skip pass and the passing out of the double teams.  The shooting is allowing the drives to be more success because now teams can't focus their efforts on that.  

Shooting can be contagious.  I don't expect them to go 25-46 from 3 a weekend all the time but they have found something that has worked on the offensive side of the basketball.  Now this has caused some issues defensive and on the rebounding side of things but you can't argue the results.  

Just 6 total turnovers today. 10 or less will give a team a chance every time.  With the no penalty transfer now, this staff and team/school may have to fight to keep Ihenacho, I’m afraid.  His assist to turnover ratio as a freshman is already impressing, and his ability to rebound from his position is a great trait.  I hope he likes it here, because I like watching him. It was fun to see the team play at this level this weekend.

16 minutes ago, the green team said:

Just 6 total turnovers today. 10 or less will give a team a chance every time.  With the no penalty transfer now, this staff and team/school may have to fight to keep Ihenacho, I’m afraid.  His assist to turnover ratio as a freshman is already impressing, and his ability to rebound from his position is a great trait.  I hope he likes it here, because I like watching him. It was fun to see the team play at this level this weekend.

He had a 5 to 1 assist to turnover ratio this weekend.

He still has some areas where he needs to grow at on the offensive side of the basketball and on the defensive end as well, and especially at the free throw line.  I don't think there should be any concern about him leaving anytime soon.  Just wait until he gets an offseason under his belt and develops a consistent jump shot.  

1 hour ago, SWSiouxMN said:

I can't say enough about this weekend.  UND finally strung together two good games and played like a team that could make a run for Tuesday Night in Sioux Falls.  

Panoam bookend a great weekend with another great performance that might have been even better that yesterday!  It was so much from 3 (although he hit a couple of big shots from downtown) but it was his attacking of the basket.  USD could not stop him... and he knew it.  Dominate performance from the line. An amazing story that is just getting better and better. 

Lets talk Mitchell Sueker.  Big development today:  He went 3-3 from 3.  If he can hit that shot going forward, look out... UND will have a dangerous weapon off of the bench.  He did a great job in handling the bigger USD posts the entire weekend and helped big time on Umude when Rebraca and Sims weren't on him.

Nero provided a great spurt in the 2nd half.  Rebraca battled and knocked down some shots.  Ihenacho was limited in his scoring but stuff the stat sheet with his rebounding and his distributing.  Sims did a nice job on the defensive end on Umude. 

31 Assists and 12 turnovers this weekend.  That will get it done.  25-44 from 3.  They got really great looks all weekend.  UND was able to drive, make great passes, and bury the shot.   

USD nearly made it interesting towards the end but UND did just enough to make sure they won. AJ is that nuclear weapon that can score a bunch of points quickly. Did they pull off of the gas pedal too soon?  Perhaps, but its two wins against the Yotes.

Back to .500 and matched the win total from last year.  Now go down to Omaha and get two more wins.  Time to end this long losing streak to the Mavs. 

I think the other big thing is the I-29 record against the NCC schools.  They are currently 4-5 and if they pull off two wins at Omaha it would be a winning record for the season.

11 hours ago, FSSD said:

I think the other big thing is the I-29 record against the NCC schools.  They are currently 4-5 and if they pull off two wins at Omaha it would be a winning record for the season.

Another good point.  They have made some progress this year in that department.  They need to end this long losing streak on Omaha and then, in the future, finally break through against SDSU.