SiouxSports.com Forum

2023-24 Recruiting

UND Fan

Speaking of local players, I hope UND is watching Jocie Schiller from Red River closely. She ranked first in assists, second in scoring and second in steals this year in the EDC as a sophomore, and has excellent speed, quickness and ball handling ability. 

3 hours ago, tnt said:

In addition, players from around here are more likely to stay around here and most likely be less prone to want to enter the transfer portal than players that are homesick or looking to move on to bigger and better schools.  Some people from other places in the country may come to like our community, but if you weren't born here, it can take some getting used to. 

Key word here is homesick

it happens

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/16/2022 at 10:04 AM, CMSioux said:

Recruiting 8th graders? Seems like a school would make a contact, take in touch occasionally and watch their growth, but what else would you expect UND to do with 13 year olds? 

Und head coach just offered 8th grader from Minot Maggie Fricke a scholarship.  So if you think recruiting 8th graders isn't a thing think again.  You need to make a offer or you will be left in the dust.  Same for the guy below that posted the ultrasound.  Have alot to learn about college recruiting.  Good job coach Bernhard !!!!  now get le le bell the other eighth grader 

On 3/16/2022 at 10:13 AM, The Sicatoka said:

This is not recruiting ...

hospital-doctor-woman-pregnancy-ultrasou

Guess I was correct and this is recruiting.  You should have watched the girls play you would know why I said they need to be offered scholarships.   You win state title and mvp in 8th grade you are not a baby.  

12 hours ago, NewUndFan said:

Und head coach just offered 8th grader from Minot Maggie Fricke a scholarship.  So if you think recruiting 8th graders isn't a thing think again.  You need to make a offer or you will be left in the dust.  Same for the guy below that posted the ultrasound.  Have alot to learn about college recruiting.  Good job coach Bernhard !!!!  now get le le bell the other eighth grader 

So rare I wasn't even sure if coaches were allowed to contact 8th graders? Obviously they can. For now it's just publicity, there is no way any kid is accepting an offer in 8th grade anyway and if they turn into a 4-5 star UND won't be on their list.  

How do these offers to 7th or 8th or even 9th graders work?  I assume it's basically a school's way of saying "we wanted you first" but in reality the school could back out of it by the time the kid is a junior or senior if they wanted to?

9 minutes ago, Devils said:

How do these offers to 7th or 8th or even 9th graders work?  I assume it's basically a school's way of saying "we wanted you first" but in reality the school could back out of it by the time the kid is a junior or senior if they wanted to?

The school can withdraw an offer at any time. 

9 minutes ago, UND Fan said:

The school can withdraw an offer at any time. 

The Crosby kid is a very impressive 8th grader. Needs to continue to develop and get stronger. She put up 21 pts in first have against Det Lakes but didn’t do anything in second half. 

Is it me or where is the NCAA on recruiting in college sports used to be we had limited contact with future college recruits and now were starting to recruit down into the grade schools or middle schools. This seems to me if recruiting starts this early it opens the door to violations and tampering by alumni especially from big power schools that have big time donors. I wonder what this does to these kids in long term and letting them have normal childhood and development and how many of these kids get burned out long before they are ready to even decide what they are going to do in the future. I may be all wrong here but i think childhood is short enough and something you can never get back and this does not only effect the child but whole family dynamics. Also most schools or prospective recruits don't finalize their recruits until their junior or senior years in high school. 

• 2 months later...

Mallory and staff continue to hit Michigan hard.  Three recent offers:

G Kendall Braden, 5'8", Toledo (Christian), OH  Has offers from Cleveland St, Bradley, Youngstown St & EMU

G Jada Collins, 6'2", Kalamazoo (Central), MI

G Nya Smith, 5'9", Roswell (Roswell), GA  Has offer from UAB

On 6/5/2022 at 7:38 PM, UND Fan said:

Mallory and staff continue to hit Michigan hard.  Three recent offers:

G Kendall Braden, 5'8", Toledo (Christian), OH  Has offers from Cleveland St, Bradley, Youngstown St & EMU

G Jada Collins, 6'2", Kalamazoo (Central), MI

G Nya Smith, 5'9", Roswell (Roswell), GA  Has offer from UAB

A couple more:

SG Madi Morson, 5'8", Canton (Salem), MI  Has offer from Detroit Mercy

G Christian Sanders, 5'9”, Detroit (Rennaissance), MI Has offers from Oakland, Niagara, Bethune Cookman & WMU       Averaged 17 as a soph.

On 7/19/2021 at 10:21 AM, UND Fan said:

The staff is staying busy with three more '24 offers:

SG Ally Timm, 5'9", Milwaukee (Divine Savior Holy Angel - DSHA),  WI   Has offer from St. Thomas.  Averaged 11 ppg and 6 rpg as a freshman playing in a Milwaukee big-school league.

F Gabby Wilke, 6'1", Beaver Dam (Beaver Dam), WI  Has offers from UW-Green Bay, UW-Milwaukee & IUPUI  Averaged 8 ppg for a 23-3 team.  Daughter of former UND basketball and baseball player, Matt Wilke.  Current UND player, Amy Van Loo, played for same team.  These relationships should help but her older sister will be a freshman on UW's women's BB team.

SG Jordan Zubich, 6', Mountain Iron (Mountain Iron-Buhl), MN   Has offer from St. Thomas.  Averaged 17 ppg as a freshman for a 19-5 team.    

She (Zubich) is one of my favorites in this class (can shoot the lights out) - but she just got offered by Iowa State yesterday.

2 hours ago, Hambone said:

She (Zubich) is one of my favorites in this class (can shoot the lights out) - but she just got offered by Iowa State yesterday.

they aint AAU anymore so why would she wanna slum it up in Ames.............            :)

• Upvote 2

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
5 hours ago, Hambone said:

I think this is a pretty good commitment.  However, we really need some size.

I like this pick up of a local girl too, but we are seriously lacking size.  I watched the NDSU women's team last night and they have improved significantly and really upgraded on size and talent.  Very fun to watch.  I really think we have fallen behind them this year and I think they may compete with the South Dakota schools this year.  And Yes I am not a UND homer and will cheer for both North Dakota schools but will always root for UND over NDSU in head to head.  

On 3/16/2022 at 3:25 PM, UND92,96 said:

Speaking of local players, I hope UND is watching Jocie Schiller from Red River closely. She ranked first in assists, second in scoring and second in steals this year in the EDC as a sophomore, and has excellent speed, quickness and ball handling ability. 

There you go

7 hours ago, SWSiouxMN said:

The only thing I can think of is this:

1) They really think the world of Vanderwahl and Jardine

2) They feel that they can win the Summit with a smaller, quicker lineup

Then hopefully they have fixed the chronic turnover problem they have had over the years, because a combination of getting out rebounded and turning the ball over isn’t going to produce a high Summit finish.

I have watched about everyone but Denver and Omaha  catching part all other teams in Summit of their games and I can tell you we have hard time equaling last years record. Second omethingwe have zero chance of  beating SDSU this year. There freshmen look better than our freshmen and they are getting playing time against very good programs getting better. We will not be able to match up with them because they are bigger and deeper than we are and they are just quick or quicker than we are. I guess I don’t understand why we didn’t bring in front court player through the portal. NDSU did bring in number of front court people and they are looking like they could be second best team in Summit. USD will be very similar to us not very big in the front court and very young there. I am disappointed because end of last year with thought we would have Lane to build around our front court and the returning players I thought we were ready to start contending with thought we could go WNIT tournament. Now we’re just using up this above average back court talent because we didn’t address this glaring weakness on experienced front line. This is what I am seeing maybe I am missing something and don’t see something but it appears we’re having hard time constructing team to compete with the top teams.

8 hours ago, tnt said:

Then hopefully they have fixed the chronic turnover problem they have had over the years, because a combination of getting out rebounded and turning the ball over isn’t going to produce a high Summit finish.

Small sample size so far this year, but only 14 turnovers total in two games.  Cautiously optimisitc that they have might have done it finally, but this weekend will be another good test of that theory. 

The Wyoming game might have given me a little hope that perhaps they won't get killed on the boards every night.   However, need to see more of the sample size. 

• Upvote 3

31 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

Small sample size so far this year, but only 14 turnovers total in two games.  Cautiously optimisitc that they have might have done it finally, but this weekend will be another good test of that theory. 

The Wyoming game might have given me a little hope that perhaps they won't get killed on the boards every night.   However, need to see more of the sample size. 

Yeah, I saw that they haven't turned the ball over as much this year, so one can hope that they can carry that forward.  What the ratio of their turnovers needs to be at compared to their opposition to be an upper tier team with a smaller lineup depends on whether they can use that quickness to offset the height in rebounding.