SiouxSports.com Forum

2023-24 Recruiting

UND Fan

Watched schiiler from red river for the first time this year against Fargo Davies. She had 43 points.

VERY impressed 

very quick, great ball handler, nice smooth shooter, very good at using her quickness to get to the basket, tenacious defender, good passer, heads up when dribbling etc

she definitely can play in this league 

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

Is Schiller going to be someone that can bump this program up to the next gear? Talking being right there with the SD schools (I know USD is down this year but SDSU is in a league of their own). Every time I open the herald website Schiller is putting up numbers. She had 29-7-5 last night against West Fargo which has Mirley Simon, an NDSU commit. 

On 4/29/2020 at 6:23 AM, UND Fan said:

We have an offer out to a very young lady from the Cities:

PF Emma Dasovich, 6'1", Minnetonka (Minnetonka), MN   Averaged 10+ on the varsity as an 8th grader.  Her mother is the coach.  It appears this is her first offer.    

Interesting.

I don’t take much stock on these early offers on high school recruits if they are really exceptional they are looking for offers from power    five conferences. All this does is keep open dialog with these players. I look at offers for juniors to early seniors that were likely going to get a commitment from. I don’t remember getting commitment prior than junior year in high school.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 1/18/2023 at 12:17 PM, SiouxFan100 said:

As good as Schiller is it will take more than one player - though a great point guard will make a big difference.

Another point guard to watch is Safranski from Fargo Davies

Last night Schiller would not be denied. She won that game for RR. She was better than Nistler who is headed to Nebraska. Kid has a  great motor and is really cool with the ball.

• Upvote 4

6’3” Alyssa Sand Jr from Albany should be on our watch list. Scored 29? With 20 rebounds against Providence Academy in the Mn 2a Championship this afternoon.  
Chad Genoway’s daughter is a 9th grader for PA. She averages over 30ppg.  She is extremely quick and may be the best player in Mn. Adrian Peterson’s daughter is a 7th grader on that team and comes in off of the bench. PA has 2 sisters named Counts. The senior is committed to Duluth. I think she is athletic enough to play for us. I think her sister is a junior and another 23-24 prospect but would need to improve. 

Has anyone heard if we have some pending signee or are we waiting what's available in the portal as NCAA tournament moves along. We still have 3 scholarships available as far as i know and we have to be looking for front line players and probably a post player. We need to have post player who is athletic as well has good size to play up tempo game like we like to play and can play defense extended. I am sure everyone is looking for those players, but I believe we need that immediately if with the seniors we will have back next year to make another step forward to compete with South Dakota State and several other Summit league teams. I would like to see us get couple of the players mentioned out Minnesota or Wisconsin and i don't know if were in on any North Dakota girls this year. We have some very big holes to fill after this year loosing 5 players.

1 hour ago, ND-fan said:

Has anyone heard if we have some pending signee or are we waiting what's available in the portal as NCAA tournament moves along. We still have 3 scholarships available as far as i know and we have to be looking for front line players and probably a post player. We need to have post player who is athletic as well has good size to play up tempo game like we like to play and can play defense extended. I am sure everyone is looking for those players, but I believe we need that immediately if with the seniors we will have back next year to make another step forward to compete with South Dakota State and several other Summit league teams. I would like to see us get couple of the players mentioned out Minnesota or Wisconsin and i don't know if were in on any North Dakota girls this year. We have some very big holes to fill after this year loosing 5 players.

I'm sure some of that will be filled soon once the team is done with the WBI

3 spots to fill:  size and shooters please. 

Load it up and lets make a run at it next year

On 11/15/2022 at 2:25 PM, SWSiouxMN said:

The only thing I can think of is this:

1) They really think the world of Vanderwahl and Jardine

2) They feel that they can win the Summit with a smaller, quicker lineup

I realize the Bison have size/height, which UND lacks, but UND beat them at the Betty in large part due to their superior athleticism and speed/quickness.  That advantage over NDSU was very evident in that game. 

It’s just not the Bison but look at size of SDSU,ORU , and KC  and when we played both of Montana schools we had hard time matching up with them. Watch the NCAA tournament these teams have large front lines and good quick guards if we want to be able to go the tournament make run we need to get to  that level. SDSU team is structured with this mix and is why they are competing with p-5 schools and USD was similarly structured last year. When we won our national championship games we had good posts and size on our front line and when we went to NCAA tournament back in Big Sky our team was structured with couple 6’ 5” girls and our forwards were 6 feet to 5’10”.  We can have respectable years  as we are structured now but we never will reach level winning the conference and advancing in the tournament.

• 3 weeks later...

I think we should see some movement on recruits in this week or two. All the tournaments are over for college and high school and Easter has passed I got to believe players have to be looking to find home before school ends. Second even coaches must want to finalize there rosters and set schedules to get there new players here during the summer to get them familiarized with team and working on team’s offense and defense plus conditioning to play full season. Has anyone heard if they have movement on any players? 

I just looking at the list of NIL money for Women's Basketball for the NCAA and the gap between the power 5 schools and small mid-major schools is only going to widen and ability to recruit and retain top talent is going to nearly be impossible if this allowed to continue for the major sports like basketball and football. Here is the top listing of players and what they are receiving, and this is only going to grow. (www.on3.com/nil/rankings/player/college/womens-basketball/) I was amazed Angel Reese was making over million dollars a year. If this is the case, going forward there will be teams receiving more money NIL money collectively than most NCAA teams are operating their basketball programs on financially. Second this is going to create elite level of teams and lower level of teams i don't know how you expect to sell this general public and maintain quality of competition within college sports. Plus, how this going to lead to corruption in the game making the past abuses look like minor infractions. Here at UND how are we going to be able to compete being in small market town and state to generate any significant amount of money for our sports going forward to draw and retain talent. The way NIL money is being developed i have to believe were miles behind the competition and do we have large enough base donors and supporters to provide money for all of the sports we have here at UND. I would like to hear some thoughts on this and what are people are thinking about how UND start developing a plan for the future.

• 4 months later...

Lyman Basketball Star Volmer Commits To UND

By David BurrallAug 19, 2023 | 5:56 PM

PRESHO – Lyman basketball standout Skyler Volmer announced Saturday on social media that she has made an oral commitment to play collegiately at the University of North Dakota.

Volmer, who is in her senior year, scored 18.4 points a game for the Raiders last season, also averaging 7.6 rebounds and 3.5 assists per game in earning third-team All-State honors in Class B.  Volmer also reached 1,000 career points during last season.

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, SiouxFan100 said:

Lyman Basketball Star Volmer Commits To UND

By David BurrallAug 19, 2023 | 5:56 PM

PRESHO – Lyman basketball standout Skyler Volmer announced Saturday on social media that she has made an oral commitment to play collegiately at the University of North Dakota.

Volmer, who is in her senior year, scored 18.4 points a game for the Raiders last season, also averaging 7.6 rebounds and 3.5 assists per game in earning third-team All-State honors in Class B.  Volmer also reached 1,000 career points during last season.

Skyler's father is Cody Volmer, who played at SDSU in the D2 era. 

She is super athletic and think her best hoops is ahead of her.