SiouxSports.com Forum

#6 UND (15-17) vs #1 NDSU (24-8) 3/10 800 PM

SWSiouxMN

It was miserable to watch, but I think Paul Sather has sparked a bit of basketball revival at UND.  Hopefully we will be cutting down nets in one of the next two years.  Will Moody get a medical red shirt?  

• Upvote 1

Well there is no other way to say it:  that sucked.

However... that was a fun run to get to the title game.  That USD game in Sioux Falls will be in my memory for quite a while.  If this is what we are going to get with Sather for the next few years, then sign me up for more... although the ending will have to different.

The program took a small step forward.  Now they need to take bigger steps. 

3 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Well when you shoot like that and your opponent isn’t lights out from three you’re gonna have a bad time. Too bad. Sather needs to do a lot of work on the roster. Our depth was bad this year and we lost a lot of points.

Talent wise, this season was the first year that I feel that NDSU had better talent/athletes than UND has had on the roster during the DI era.  We still split with them in the regular season, and really just hit a wall tonight against a solid and well coached team. I feel that NDSU has been so well coached for such a long time now.  Bison fans like to bag on Richman, but I think he is a really good coach.  His teams are always disciplined and execute well.  His record seems to confirm that.

Based on one years work I'm optimistic that Sather has a similar accumen for getting the most out of his players in a successful system.

2 minutes ago, bincitysioux said:

Talent wise, this season was the first year that I feel that NDSU had better talent/athletes than UND has had on the roster during the DI era.  We still split with them in the regular season, and really just hit a wall tonight against a solid and well coached team. I feel that NDSU has been so well coached for such a long time now.  Bison fans like to bag on Richman, but I think he is a really good coach.  His teams are always disciplined and execute well.  His record seems to confirm that.

Based on one years work I'm optimistic that Sather has a similar accumen for getting the most out of his players in a successful system.

Sather looks like Phil Jackson after Jones

• Upvote 3

Attendance was 4,306.

I'd estimate the break down was 50% NDSU, 35% UND, 15% SDSU/USD.

NDSU brought their band and had a decent student contingent.  

No band for UND, and I can't imagine more than 50-60 students if that.

Gotta love how Bubba supports the entire University.  Looked to me like the entire FB coaching staff was there.......

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Kab said:

Any self respecting UND person will never hope for the bison in any sport unless it helps our cause

Wouldn't that mean that they should cheer for the Bison in the NCAA tourney? I mean, each time a Summit League team advances from one round to the next, the conference gets more money.... and that money gets paid for 6 years. Therefore there is no good reason not to cheer for your conference mates once your team is done (or at least be content they're still winning) as it does nothing but help the conference and it's member schools going forward.

4 minutes ago, tjamz said:

Wouldn't that mean that they should cheer for the Bison in the NCAA tourney? I mean, each time a Summit League team advances from one round to the next, the conference gets more money.... and that money gets paid for 6 years. Therefore there is no good reason not to cheer for your conference mates once your team is done (or at least be content they're still winning) as it does nothing but help the conference and it's member schools going forward.

Nah, I’m good. 

• Upvote 4

16 minutes ago, tjamz said:

Thought about and passed

24 minutes ago, tjamz said:

Don't try and pass yourself off as a troll this morning.

• Upvote 1

It was a rough game to watch.  When it was 9-0 I think most of us were in a little bit of shock but knew that a little run would get us back in.  Once it went 21-2, it was basically over.  The bison were shooting lights out in that first half.  Especially from 3.  They were making everything even after we played great defense and contested most of their shots.  they just couldn't miss.  Didn't help that our boys came out extremely flat and looked like a deer in headlights that first 8 minutes of the game.  Last year the Bison won 3 games in 3 days.  there is a reason why it was the only time that has happened in Summit/Midcon history.  Cause it is tough to do.  Fatigue definitely played a factor in the game.   But the bifggest factor was that NDSU is simply just a better team.  there is a reason why the won25 games this year.  They are a great team that makes 3's, makes their free throws and has a stud in Shahid and others that can make shots when they have to.

Silver Lining: UND Basketball is in good hands.  Listen to Sathers pressers during the tournament and you will be convinced he is the right man for this job.  We played ok during the regular season but Sather got this team up and had two great wins in the Summit Tournament to reach the Championship game.  I don't think anyone would have predicted that even a week ago.  This program has the ability to be top 3 in this conference every year and playing in tournament championship games consistently with the expectation of going to the NCAA Tournament every year.  I think the best is yet to come for this program and look forward to it.

Lets also remember UND had ZERO home D1 non-conference games.  They played three lower level scrubs at home from November 7th to January 5th.  11 D1 road games before the Summit League season started with a new coach and new system = ridiculous.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, bincitysioux said:

Attendance was 4,306.

I'd estimate the break down was 50% NDSU, 35% UND, 15% SDSU/USD.

NDSU brought their band and had a decent student contingent.  

No band for UND, and I can't imagine more than 50-60 students if that.

Gotta love how Bubba supports the entire University.  Looked to me like the entire FB coaching staff was there.......

I see that the Denny holds 12k for BB.  would be awesome to be a regular contender in this tournament and just plan on going, kind of like the hockey conference tournament.  This could be the new Final 5.  

I figured UND would hang with them for awhile but would need some breaks down the stretch as our lack of depth would catch up with us. It looked like we didn't quite have our legs early as I think we were ready to play and a couple stats bear that out. We only had 6 turnovers and only gave up 3 offensive rebounds and we had normally reliable free throw shooters get us out to a 3-8 start at the line. 

As well as NDSU shot the ball I think even if we had our A game last night we probably lose by 6-10. It wasn't so much that they hit 8 of their first 10 threes and 13-25 for the night, it was that at least 7-8 of their makes came at the end of a possession where we had actually played good defense and not given them anything and then they hit the step back three with 2-3 seconds left on the shot clock....1-2 of those are deflating, 7-8 are soul crushing.

Props to NDSU, they have a nice mix of talent and could cause some match up issues for teams if all 5 starters are hitting 3's and Vinnie and Ward are able to get to the rim as well. If they play an athletic team that plays man to man defense they could struggle but if they play a jump shooting zone playing squad they could spring an upset.

1 hour ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Don't try and pass yourself off as a troll this morning.

It was a serious question. I didn't watch the game (not a basketball fan in general) but the deeper a team goes in the playoffs, the more money comes back to the conference and its member schools. Financially that benefits UND as well.

2 hours ago, tjamz said:

It was a serious question. I didn't watch the game (not a basketball fan in general) but the deeper a team goes in the playoffs, the more money comes back to the conference and its member schools. Financially that benefits UND as well.

It does, but I get UND fans perspective. It may have been better financially for the conference if UND had won. They almost certainly would have been in a play-in game and would have had a much better chance of winning that game than NDSU will have as a 15 seed playing a 2. I think I heard the play-in game gets a payment for the conference.