SiouxSports.com Forum

2020 Dumpster Fire (Enter at your own risk)

jk

2 hours ago, wxman91 said:

Are you serious?  We want to stop COVID from making its way through society.  That's the point of a vaccine.

A (by Pfizer's own release) 90% effective at best vaccine will inoculate a portion of the herd. 

3 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

Walz to announce a more "surgical" dialback/restriction plan tomorrow to combat the fact masks are not doing the trick in MN.

Does it involve hiding out in Mayor Frey’s basement?  Also, will peaceful rioting, I mean protesting be allowed?  Just asking because I need to use I-94 later this week.;)

18 minutes ago, Blackheart said:

Does it involve hiding out in Mayor Frey’s basement?  Also, will peaceful rioting, I mean protesting be allowed?  Just asking because I need to use I-94 later this week.;)

Rioting vs. Protesting is a matter of context don't ya know! Screenshot_20201109-142927_Chrome.thumb.jpg.e2c86094083b3fe1c985879befd95b55.jpg

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

why are oil and gas companies up 20% when biden says he will shut them down?   interesting.

Same reason travel and entertainment related entities are up huge: If Pfizer's news is accurate, these industries will see a huge boost.
Same reason "stay-at-home" companies like Zoom, Paypal and Peloton are down big: If Pfizer's news is accurate, these industries will take a hit. 

4 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Same reason travel and entertainment related entities are up huge: If Pfizer's news is accurate, these industries will see a huge boost.
Same reason "stay-at-home" companies like Zoom, Paypal and Peloton are down big: If Pfizer's news is accurate, these industries will take a hit. 

I'd agree.
Today's market moves are all about short-term, short-view market (irrational*) exuberance --> aka HOPE for a vaccine. 

*Credit Alan Greenspan 

8 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

but in 80 days biden is putting these oil and gas businesses out of business so why would they be going up for any reason...come one man.

4 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

I'd agree.
Today's market moves are all about short-term, short-view market (irrational*) exuberance --> aka HOPE for a vaccine. 

*Credit Alan Greenspan 

What I find so interesting about human behavior(the market is a decent proxy for the mood of the country) is that the mere prospect of something positive can change behaviors even if in reality the parameters haven't actually shifted meaningfully.

Flying was dangerous yesterday, but since the possibility of a vaccine came out this morning, people will be booking flights. Not AFTER the vaccine actually comes out, they'll feel safe to fly TODAY. It's really fascinating and truly does outline the power of information and how the media plays an enormous role in the mood of the country.

Two mall operators have filed for bankruptcy protection, hurt by the coronavirus pandemic that has forced their tenants to permanently close stores or not pay rent.

Both companies, CBL and Pennsylvania Real Estate Investment Trust, said their malls will remain open as they go through the bankruptcy process. CBL operates Kirkwood Mall in Bismarck and Dakota Square Mall in Minot.

https://bismarcktribune.com/business/kirkwood-mall-operator-files-for-bankruptcy/article_e623d65c-b4d6-559a-ade2-7019b42620ae.html

Biden commented  Pfizer's vaccine was "positive news" but then pivoted to his protections of a "dark winter". He also said if the vaccine is approved it "will not be widely available for many months yet to come".

1 minute ago, Bison06 said:

What I find so interesting about human behavior(the market is a decent proxy for the mood of the country) is that the mere prospect of something positive can change behaviors even if in reality the parameters haven't actually shifted meaningfully.

" ... irrational exuberance ... " -- Alan Greenspan

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Sound like a true Trumper, the best/most/largest/first of everything about everything. Sounds more like one lie after another. 

T's lies, fake news, repeating false stories = loser. Washing hands helps. It's OK for T 2 B a spreader, but Biden fans can't congrigate???

Didn't you have Covid?  Or have close family members that did?  Maybe take your own advice and wash your hands......even though it is the liberal way to "do as I say not as I do".  

10 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

but in 80 days biden is putting these oil and gas businesses out of business so why would they be going up for any reason...come one man.

Because no one actually believes the hyperbole that he was going to put them out of the business except for the hyper-partisan fringe on both sides.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, jdub27 said:

Correct, the government contracted to purchase the vaccine if they were able to development something. But Pfizer did not take federal funding to back R&D or manufacturing like every other drug company. This was intentionally done by the company to stay away from any political influence or strings attached.

They did it for money...which is why they didn't want strings attached.  Whether Pfizer was or wasn't officially a part of Operation Warp Speed is irrelevant.....but they were incentivized by it and are gonna profit massively because of it.  

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, TheFlop said:

They did it for money...which is why they didn't want strings attached.  Whether Pfizer was or wasn't officially a part of Operation Warp Speed is irrelevant.....but they were incentivized by it and are gonna profit massively because of it.  

Yes, they took on the full, unsubsidized risk and can now reap the full rewards. Not saying the turned down the money out of goodwill, they did it to protect their process and profits (assuming they were/are successful).

It is only relevant to those pointing to the government's subsidization of the R&D for CoVid research and claiming that's how this supposed vaccine came about. The purchase agreement only comes into play if they were successful. In that event, I doubt there would have been an actual concern to find a market for a quality vaccine. 

13 minutes ago, TheFlop said:

Does anyone else find the naming of both our domestic and foreign operations to be hilarious? We are talking about arguably the most complex, sophisticated system in the history of the world(the US government) and they name things like they are five year olds at a birthday party. Operation Warp Speed, Operation Unicorn, Operation Paperclip, Operation Chattanooga choo choo. 

28 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Because no one actually believes the hyperbole that he was going to put them out of the business except for the hyper-partisan fringe on both sides.

More green deal to funnel money to the Dem donors.  More restrictions on g&o to drive selected companies out or business.