SiouxSports.com Forum

2020 Dumpster Fire (Enter at your own risk)

jk

1 minute ago, The Sicatoka said:

Strangely enough, the shape of the "tests done per day" curve is much the same. 

A single number does not tell the whole story. 

and when can we get past the "cases equal doom and gloom" schtik....more test= more cases, dosent even mean people are even sick, or showing signs of being sick....this is the part that needs to stop if we are going to get back on track.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Just now, 1972 said:

and when can we get past the "cases equal doom and gloom" schtik....

More cases.

Does more cases of beer sold mean more DUIs and road fatalities? Maybe. Maybe not. Who is buying the cases? Are they predisposed to binge drinking or drinking and driving? 

Cases don't tell the whole story. Who has the "case" and what they do with it matters. 

• Upvote 1

Can Tony make up his mind?

While the pandemic will remain a challenge, Fauci said the U.S. may not have to shut down.

The outbreak would have to get “really, really bad,” he said.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/10/19/coronavirus-hospitalizations-are-growing-in-37-us-states.html

2020 Advice:

Don't be showin' your Toobin when you're Zoomin'. 

https://thehill.com/homenews/media/521734-cnns-toobin-suspended-by-new-yorker-after-exposing-himself-on-zoom-call 

I know you'll be shocked, but CNN is yet to comment on their legal analyst being suspended from his (New Yorker mag) day job. 

18 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Strangely enough, the shape of the "tests done per day" curve is much the same. 

A single number does not tell the whole story. 

https://www.health.nd.gov/diseases-conditions/coronavirus/north-dakota-coronavirus-cases

Although the percentage of those tested positive isn't the highest in the USA, it still hovers near 10% 

Why are so many testing?  In my case, I tested for my job because I showed some symptoms.  Fortunately, I tested negative. I hope to stay that way until a solid vaccine is implemented. 

Are the authorities rounding up citizens to test?  Are more having mandatory tests for work?  Are there a lot of folks showing symptoms that wanted/needed tests? 

I know North Dakota is prominent in stats of number of residents getting tested.  Thats a good thing.  Bottom line is that a higher percentage of the population is testing positive.  That is a bad thing.

Hopefully those testing positive show fewer symptoms and get over it fairly quickly without long term effects.  However, North Dakota is well known for higher rates of obesity, heart disease and diabetes. I would imagine that in states like this there is more of a propensity to see negative long term issues with Covid-19. 

13 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Notice the middle chart of the three ... 

106750500-1603116821810-20201019_us_case

That comes with better understanding of the care needed with those affected.  Still, no cure exists.  

New York obviously had high numbers of deaths earlier due to a lack of understanding of how to care of these cases along with the initial spread there from Europe. 

The third chart, hospitalizations, also is climbing with the most recent spike in cases.  What isn't shown is the long term effects of those testing positive. 

8 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

2020 Advice:

Don't be showin' your Toobin when you're Zoomin'. 

https://thehill.com/homenews/media/521734-cnns-toobin-suspended-by-new-yorker-after-exposing-himself-on-zoom-call 

I know you'll be shocked, but CNN is yet to comment on their legal analyst being suspended from his (New Yorker mag) day job. 

CNN might need is expert advise for Hunter and some of his photos.  Need to keep him on the payroll.

8 minutes ago, Hayduke1 said:

Why are so many testing? 

Admittedly anecdotal, but I know of a worker in a LTC facility that kept testing until they came up ... positive ... so they (their words) could get 14 days off. 

I know four close people that have had it. All are still here. Three under 35; one had anti-bodies but had no idea when they were "sick". The fourth? An uncle, 75+, ND LTC facility, lots of pre-existing, and still here (but not sure where "here" is ... < bleep > Alzheimer's). Of those four, two were/are tested at least twice a week because of jobs or where they live. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Hayduke1 said:

That comes with better understanding of the care needed with those affected.  Still, no cure exists.  

Are we fighting "cases" or "deaths". 

The deaths trend line is the one that matters. 

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

and that is absolutley the only one  that matters.  all the other stuff is fearmongering fluff

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Admittedly anecdotal, but I know of a worker in a LTC facility that kept testing until they came up ... positive ... so they (their words) could get 14 days off. 

I know four close people that have had it. All are still here. Three under 35; one had anti-bodies but had no idea when they were "sick". The fourth? An uncle, 75+, ND LTC facility, lots of pre-existing, and still here (but not sure where "here" is ... < bleep > Alzheimer's). Of those four, two were/are tested at least twice a week because of jobs or where they live. 

When we see the number tested, we tend to think that they are all different people.  Not the case.  I know a teacher tested 4 times due to symptoms.  All negative.  

53 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

And over the weekend the WHO says lockdowns do more harm than good.

Sweden > WHO

Sweden continues to rethink and adjust their strategy, which has led to signficantly more deaths (15-20x) than neighboring (similar) countries. I also believe their numbers would show their economic impact was very similar to countries who originally had stricter measures. The bigger difference is that citizens there seem to actually try to comply with recommendations.

https://www.businessinsider.com/sweden-shifts-away-no-lockdown-strategy-amid-growing-case-numbers-2020-10

8 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Yes, deaths are very quantitative.   Symptoms and outcomes with negative effects are qualitative at this point. Until they are identified.  That could take some time. 

2 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Sweden continues to rethinking and adjust their strategy, which has led to signficantly more deaths (15-20x) than neighboring (similar) countries.

https://www.businessinsider.com/sweden-shifts-away-no-lockdown-strategy-amid-growing-case-numbers-2020-10

When I flipped on the ATL/LAD game last night, ATL had the lead. Lo and behold, LAD are in the World Series this morning. 

This battle isn't over; it's still early to call winners and losers quite yet. 

5 minutes ago, Hayduke1 said:

... outcomes with negative effects are qualitative at this point. Until they are identified.  That could take some time. 

And those outcome evaluations need to include folks who have indirect impacts of the virus (didn't seek treatment when they should've; loss of job; mental health impacts). 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, 1972 said:

and when can we get past the "cases equal doom and gloom" schtik....more test= more cases, dosent even mean people are even sick, or showing signs of being sick....this is the part that needs to stop if we are going to get back on track.

Might happen in early November...just depends on.

35 minutes ago, Hayduke1 said:

Although the percentage of those tested positive isn't the highest in the USA, it still hovers near 10% 

Why are so many testing?  In my case, I tested for my job because I showed some symptoms.  Fortunately, I tested negative. I hope to stay that way until a solid vaccine is implemented. 

Are the authorities rounding up citizens to test?  Are more having mandatory tests for work?  Are there a lot of folks showing symptoms that wanted/needed tests? 

I know North Dakota is prominent in stats of number of residents getting tested.  Thats a good thing.  Bottom line is that a higher percentage of the population is testing positive.  That is a bad thing.

Hopefully those testing positive show fewer symptoms and get over it fairly quickly without long term effects.  However, North Dakota is well known for higher rates of obesity, heart disease and diabetes. I would imagine that in states like this there is more of a propensity to see negative long term issues with Covid-19. 

no way you have a job.

7 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

no way you have a job.

I have an advanced degree, an office, all that stuff you cultists probably dream about.

I actually am a person in a position of authority and trust.  

I also occupy a space in all you cultists little heads.  Rent free.

ROTFLMFAO 

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

When I flipped on the ATL/LAD game last night, ATL had the lead. Lo and behold, LAD are in the World Series this morning. 

This battle isn't over; it's still early to call winners and losers quite yet. 

I don't think there is anyone coming out of this situation a winner. Just those who lose less than others and you can pick your metric on what that is. There are plenty of things to pick and choose from.

Yes, Sweden has a signficantly lower death rate than the US. However they also have a significantly higher death rate than neighboring countries (who are very similar culturally). Their economy fared about the same. So were their choices better or worse? They have stated their were things they would have done differently and are currently in the process of taking some of those more restrictive steps. So again, definitely no winners.

15 minutes ago, Hayduke1 said:

I have an advanced degree, an office, all that stuff you cultists probably dream about.

I actually am a person in a position of authority and trust.  

I also occupy a space in all you cultists little heads.  Rent free.

ROTFLMFAO 

why would a contact tracer need a degree?