SiouxSports.com Forum

2020 Dumpster Fire (Enter at your own risk)

jk

2 hours ago, Redneksioux said:

When were masks bad?  It's unfortunate we don't have enough N95's to protect people and we have leaders that want people to not wear them.

How will kids forced to grow up with one parent or possibly no parent affect their neglect, hunger and abuse?

Having an underlying health condition never was an instant death sentence until Covid19. Keep in mind this isn't just smoking grandma. 40% of the US population has a chronic disease according to the National Health Council. 

Stay in your basement. Unbelievable.

1 hour ago, TheFlop said:

Condolences go out to Rednek and a few others.  This news isn't going to help the narrative. 

What narrative? That we have double the positives coming in than we had a few weeks ago? Condolences to those that are passing away as in a couple weeks the daily death toll is also going up.

3 hours ago, Redneksioux said:

How will kids forced to grow up with one parent or possibly no parent affect their neglect, hunger and abuse?

In North Dakota, from Covid, the total such minor children stands at 0 (unless the 100+ year old had a minor child.)

I'll take the unemployment, alcohol abuse, stress, domestic situations/violence, foreclosure... as the greater concern in that equation.

16 minutes ago, Redneksioux said:

Please elaborate on what you can’t believe.

Here's what I can't believe...that people honestly think that life on planet earth is more dangerous to humans today than it was a month ago, 2 months ago, 3 months ago, 4 months ago, 6 months ago, one year ago, two years ago.

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

Here's what I can't believe...that people honestly think that life on planet earth is more dangerous to humans today than it was a month ago, 2 months ago, 3 months ago, 4 months ago, 6 months ago, one year ago, two years ago.

Easy to say that living in North Dakota.  

34 minutes ago, Redneksioux said:

What narrative? That we have double the positives coming in than we had a few weeks ago? Condolences to those that are passing away as in a couple weeks the daily death toll is also going up.

This is why STEM classes need to be mandatory through high school and college.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, UNDlaw80 said:

Easy to say that living in North Dakota.  

Except that, if this was a global killer, there'd be a lot more dead people. Everywhere. I haven't seen anyone characterize this virus as a global killer.

Persons who died "from" COVID were going to die. They were susceptible to a virus; some more classically so than others, but I think their deaths are proof. If not this one, then possibly the next one. But to ignore the SURVIVAL rate is to discount human resilience altogether. Not all of us will succumb to this virus, any virus, or any pathogen. It is delusional to think that one susceptible to COVID will miraculously survive merely by delaying infection. Among the sick and infirm, what is the efficacy rate for vaccination going to be?

Death has a 100% success rate, COVID does not.

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

Except that, if this was a global killer, there'd be a lot more dead people. Everywhere. I haven't seen anyone characterize this virus as a global killer.

Persons who died "from" COVID were going to die. They were susceptible to a virus; some more classically so than others, but I think their deaths are proof. If not this one, then possibly the next one. But to ignore the SURVIVAL rate is to discount human resilience altogether. Not all of us will succumb to this virus, any virus, or any pathogen. It is delusional to think that one susceptible to COVID will miraculously survive merely by delaying infection. Among the sick and infirm, what is the efficacy rate for vaccination going to be?

Death has a 100% success rate, COVID does not.

Now you're moving the goalposts.  

You initially asked if "global life is more dangerous".  Yes it is.   Death rates (Covid and 'extra') are significantly higher than in recent years, and places that are hit hard are truly reeling.  Big time.    This does not mean Covid is some all-encompassing global black death-like killer.  It's not.   

Again, it's easy to sit in Grand Forks, removed from the death of the situation, and spout off about "if people die they die".

3 minutes ago, Redneksioux said:

You could always go back if you need to learn some simple math?

The number of positive tests is pretty much irrelevant on its own without context.  The percentage of positive tests is much more important and statistically relevant.   If you do 100x the tests of the prior day of course the total positives will be higher.

The numbers the last week have been very encouraging in ND.

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, Walsh Hall said:

The number of positive tests is pretty much irrelevant on its own without context.  The percentage of positive tests is much more important and statistically relevant.   If you do 100x the tests of the prior day of course the total positives will be higher.

The numbers the last week have been very encouraging in ND.

6 deaths in one day is encouraging? 

3 minutes ago, Redneksioux said:

6 deaths in one day is encouraging? 

That's a lagging indicator, and if the folks were under 90 and healthy it would be a bit more concerning when restarting the economy.   Further evidence of the population most at risk and the population which needs the most reasonable protection.

On 5/6/2020 at 1:07 PM, jdub27 said:

I'd disagree with that. It isn't recommendations from epidemiologists that is causing them to open things up right now, it the continuous mounting of collateral damage.

I guess that would be the logical conclusion that would show how they ended up an asymptomatic carrier, but it doesn't change the end result or the point: Unless you are going to isolate all caregivers, then isolating the vulnerable doesn't really work for the exact same reason. If it was a true lockdown, than anyone who was exposed to someone who worked at LM would have also been quarantined. Instead, they only required the workers to be quarantined (which was questionably followed by more than a few) and those that lived with them had no restrictions and were able to continue to be exposed to others.

I'm not saying what is right or wrong in the scenario, just making the point that claiming the simple solution to just "isolate the vulnerable" is not answer nor is "keep everyone locked down for months at a time". It has to be somewhere in the middle and with the understanding that lives will be lost no matter which direction things go.

'Lockdowns' do work if implemented correctly.  Lockdowns aren't meant to go on forever, or be a solution.  They are implemented to buy time to formulate a solution.   

Unfortunately, we half-a$$ed the process.  This country locked down... and, well, that it.   We've done nothing with the time we bought.   No mass testing, no mass tracing, no containment strategy and no congruent plan of action.    

...and here we sit in a much worse situation than we could have been; both in terms of economics and death count.    

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

If you bet the over you win a free mask from Old Fella.......another 3.17M filed unemployment claims last week.

33+M unemployed since this country pushed all it's chips in the middle with the lockdown.

#wehavebeenFauci'd

Tired of all this winning yet?  #TrumpDepression

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

20 minutes ago, UNDlaw80 said:

Now you're moving the goalposts.  

You initially asked if "global life is more dangerous".  Yes it is.   Death rates (Covid and 'extra') are significantly higher than in recent years, and places that are hit hard are truly reeling.  Big time.    This does not mean Covid is some all-encompassing global black death-like killer.  It's not.   

Again, it's easy to sit in Grand Forks, removed from the death of the situation, and spout off about "if people die they die".

Wrong, and wrong.

I moved nothing. If people in NYC woke up in March, or April, or May thinking that they are somehow more vulnerable to the human condition, then that's their problem.  We're all on the same ride.

NO - the odds of a human being dying are, and always have been, 100%  Period.  End of Story.  The only part of the story that has yet to be written is the middle.

It saddens me that so many people are in complete denial of their own mortality.  It really is liberating to realize that nothing else matters.  Live your lives, folks.  Your COVID could be right around the corner.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Walsh Hall said:

That's a lagging indicator, and if the folks were under 90 and healthy it would be a bit more concerning when restarting the economy.   Further evidence of the population most at risk and the population which needs the most reasonable protection.

I understand it’s a lagging indicator it correlates more to infections from a couple weeks ago when supposedly we had less infected. 

And yet we we still haven’t figured out how exactly to protect the population most at risk.