SiouxSports.com Forum

2020 Dumpster Fire (Enter at your own risk)

jk

4 minutes ago, dynato said:

Typically the bottom line of today's main st impacts wall street, right? The bottom line is 22M unemployed without a great plan for opening up and getting them back to work. My worry looking forward is the same 22M and counting jobs not returning when the economy is opened back up. 

To a degree, and that's why the market absolutely, and historically, tanked.  If you are buying stock in Walmart, you are more concerned with what Walmart's earning will be in 2021 and 2022 than the second quarter of 2020.

If you are looking at the DOW as an indicator, you are only looking at large cap companies.  That's a very poor indicator of the current state of the actual economy at the micro level.  At the micro level things are no doubt horrible for way to many people.  Not from the virus, but from the shut down.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Redneksioux said:

The owners of the plant and the governor of South Dakota blatantly failed to protect the workers at this plant as well as the safety of South Dakota residents. It didn’t need to shut down due to the Coronavirus but I’m sure there’s a number of measures that could have been taken to prevent 600 plus from being infected. Yet they continued to work shoulder to shoulder, thousands sharing the same break rooms and restrooms, and were urged to come to work while ill. 

If this is is too difficult for you to comprehend maybe you’d be a good candidate to work for Smithfield when they ramp production back up.

The points you suggested are unrealistic for a plant to implement and still continue to operate and fulfill the needs of the american people. Also consider that our government can barely supply the necessary PPE to our healthcare system. Additionally, the american population is stubborn and wants to go to work, regardless of if they are sick with a flu like virus. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Walsh Hall said:

To a degree, and that's why the market absolutely, and historically, tanked.  If you are buying stock in Walmart, you are more concerned with what Walmart's earning will be in 2021 and 2022 than the second quarter of 2020.

If you are looking at the DOW as an indicator, you are only looking at large cap companies.  That's a very poor indicator of the current state of the actual economy at the micro level.  At the micro level things are no doubt horrible for way to many people.  Not from the virus, but from the shut down.

Thank you for explaining it clearly

Like many on this board there are times I would like to see Burgum open the state to busness churches and for sure barber shops.

If these posters are correct and all goes well great.

If they are wrong and we see a significant incress spreading and deaths from the virus

WHO CARES?

3 minutes ago, dynato said:

The points you suggested are unrealistic for a plant to implement and still continue to operate and fulfill the needs of the american people. Also consider that our government can barely supply the necessary PPE to our healthcare system. Additionally, the american population is stubborn and wants to go to work, regardless of if they are sick with a flu like virus. 

It’s unrealistic that a business change their model to run at say 50% production in order to allow some social distancing and extra cleaning to be done? It’s unrealistic for an employer to implement an if you are sick policy to stay home rather than forcing sick to show up to work? 

What’s realistic is that they are now shut down indefinitely. 

If the governors can force certain businesses to be shut down they surely can implement some policies for employers.

15 minutes ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

Did you just purposely ignore the difference between wealth and the ability to accumulate wealth to try to make a point?  With that kind of leaping you should be in the Olympics this summer...err, next year in Tokyo.

It is not a leap, stop being so entitled.

If someone is making 175k a year, they are likely to have a significantly higher wealth than someone who is making 48k a year. Over time, they are more likely to have exponentially higher wealth than someone who makes 48k a year. To argue otherwise would mean they spend their earned money very, very poorly.

3 minutes ago, Old Fella said:

Like many on this board there are times I would like to see Burgum open the state to busness churches and for sure barber shops.

If they are wrong and we see a significant incress spreading and deaths from the virus

WHO CARES?

We're already allowing people in grocery stores, department stores, gas stations, and restaurants to be inches apart.  If we see a "significant increase in deaths" I assure you it will have nothing to do with haircuts.  Especially if you allow haircuts where both parties wear a mask.

In fact, I would put stylists and barbers damn near the top of the list of occupations with strong, acquired immunity.

3 minutes ago, dynato said:

It is not a leap, stop being so entitled.

If someone is making 175k a year, they are likely to have a significantly higher wealth than someone who is making 48k a year. Over time, they are more likely to have exponentially higher wealth than someone who makes 48k a year. To argue otherwise would mean they spend their earned money very, very poorly.

You keep adding qualifiers that only serve to prove my point.  Please just admit that my original post was accurate, and that you overreacted and overgeneralized.

9 minutes ago, Old Fella said:

WHO CARES?

Do you know how many low IQ people just in ND alone have parroted "trust science" but yet couldn't give you the element make up of water?

Answer: Thousands more than total cases in this state.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Redneksioux said:

It’s unrealistic that a business change their model to run at say 50% production in order to allow some social distancing and extra cleaning to be done? It’s unrealistic for an employer to implement an if you are sick policy to stay home rather than forcing sick to show up to work? 

If the governors can force certain businesses to be shut down they surely can implement some policies for employers.

All I can say is that it is unrealistic for food processing plants. 50% production cuts means expired food and cutting the workforce. The supply chain likely gets hurt. Extra cleaning means new wages they need to reallocate that are not being offset by production. The likely scenario was a shutdown either way. 

13 minutes ago, Old Fella said:

WHO CARES?

Everyone cares.  I care about everyone's physical health, mental health, and financial health.  Seems that there are a thousand answers as to how we balance those.

I'm not a paranoid guy, but I'm starting to have some concerns about civil unrest if this drags on months longer.  This whole situation is causing a great deal of mental anguish that hopefully doesn't reach critical mass.  Us northern folks have spring fever anyway.  If law enforcement starts breaking up the kids playing hockey in the street or swinging at the park...

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, dynato said:

If someone is making 175k a year, they are likely to have a significantly higher wealth than someone who is making 48k a year. To argue otherwise would mean they spend their earned money very, very poorly.

2 minutes ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

You keep adding qualifiers that only serve to prove my point.  Please just admit that my original post was accurate, and that you overreacted and overgeneralized.

"As of 2016, upper-income families had 7.4 times as much wealth as middle-income families and 75 times as much wealth as lower-income families."
https://www.pewsocialtrends.org/2020/01/09/trends-in-income-and-wealth-inequality/

1 hour ago, Redneksioux said:

The owners of the plant and the governor of South Dakota blatantly failed to protect the workers at this plant as well as the safety of South Dakota residents. It didn’t need to shut down due to the Coronavirus but I’m sure there’s a number of measures that could have been taken to prevent 600 plus from being infected. Yet they continued to work shoulder to shoulder, thousands sharing the same break rooms and restrooms, and were urged to come to work while ill. 

If this is is too difficult for you to comprehend maybe you’d be a good candidate to work for Smithfield when they ramp production back up.

If you are indeed a fortune teller as you suggest, your time to shine was two months ago; not now.  The really sad part is even now after the fact, your ideas still don't make any sense.   Choosing corona protection over food.  Once again, brilliant.  

So, dynato, at what point should Burgum activate the National Guard to round up the proletariat in Fargo, turn the larger homes in the area into “the people’s houses” and make any residence larger than 3BR’s an apartment building...housing 30 people each?

51 minutes ago, Redneksioux said:

50% production...what do you plan on doing with the other 50% of cattle and hogs 20 hours off feed, standing in line at the slaughter plant waiting their turn?  Let them tip over in line and end up being destroyed instead of slaughtered?  Think it through man.  

Some jobs, some industries can't just stop on a dime as you suggest.  

1 minute ago, Siouxphan27 said:

If you are indeed a fortune teller as you suggest, your time to shine was two months ago; not now.  The really sad part is even now after the fact, your ideas still don't make any sense.   Choosing corona protection over food.  Once again, brilliant.  

We can go back over three months and look again at what the World Health Organization was warning if you'd like, rather than stop funding them.

Every business has had to make adjustments due to the pandemic. Just because a business is deemed essential doesn't exempt them from changes that need to be made. Smithfield Foods thought they were exempt and how's that going for them? What are all the pig farmers going to do with all those pigs now?

50% production...what do you plan on doing with the other 50% of cattle and hogs 20 hours off feed, standing in line at the slaughter plant waiting their turn?  Let them tip over in line and end up being destroyed instead of slaughtered?  Think it through man.  

Wouldn't 50% be better than 0%? 

6 minutes ago, Siouxphan27 said:

There were two semi loads of Canadian hogs that came down hwy #2 from the west yesterday, went through GF and headed south on I29, hopefully not Sioux Falls. 

1 minute ago, Redneksioux said:

Wouldn't 50% be better than 0%? 

Again Nostradamus, you have all the answers now.  Where were you before the outbreak began?  Why didn't you specifically warn everyone that out of all the food processing plants in the United States, Sioux Falls Smithfield was going to be the one to get hit hardest with corona, forcing a shut down?

Or are you naïve enough to think all food processing plants across the nation could've cut down to 50% production to protect against a corona outbreak without causing severe food shortages?

4 minutes ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

There were two semi loads of Canadian hogs that came down hwy #2 from the west yesterday, went through GF and headed south on I29, hopefully not Sioux Falls. 

Hopefully the industry can work together and reroute to other plants that can hopefully handle the extra workload.   I've heard slaughter weight piggies are in limbo in many barns right now, getting a little fatter.  Unfortunately it's creating a bottleneck on piglets heading to those barns.  

Again Nostradamus, you have all the answers now.  Where were you before the outbreak began?  Why didn't you specifically warn everyone that out of all the food processing plants in the United States, Sioux Falls Smithfield was going to be the one to get hit hardest with corona, forcing a shut down?

Or are you naïve enough to think all food processing plants across the nation could've cut down to 50% production to protect against a corona outbreak without causing severe food shortages?

It's no surprise this happened in South Dakota with the way their governor has touted on Fox News how well their state is doing and that they are not New York. 

She continues to defend her stance saying they are not Chicago even though the Sioux Falls infection rate per capita has exceeded Chicago's.

Unfortunately this attitude is passed down to the employer level and what's done is done.

Maybe we can get something positive out of this and regulations will prevent this from happening over and over again, probably not in South Dakota though.

I don't know the right number but I can tell you that I'd take 50% over 0%.

2 minutes ago, Siouxphan27 said:

Hopefully the industry can work together and reroute to other plants that can hopefully handle the extra workload.   I've heard slaughter weight piggies are in limbo in many barns right now, getting a little fatter.  Unfortunately it's creating a bottleneck on piglets heading to those barns.  

Going to have to have the mating hogs practice self distancing.