SiouxSports.com Forum

UND @ Minnesota -- The Rivalry, with all the trimmings

stoneySIOUX

3 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Sorry, I couldn't pass up a thanksgiving reference :lol:.

Excited for this one. Always a big series and I think the boys are really confident right now. 

What does everyone think?

Road series against a solid team. I really don't know what to expect. UND is elite when you look Defensively (grouping together D-core, Goaltending, PK). Still feeling out this team offensively. My best guess is we'll see a split. Sweeping a series is tough, especially on the road. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, AJS said:

Road series against a solid team. I really don't know what to expect. UND is elite when you look Defensively (grouping together D-core, Goaltending, PK). Still feeling out this team offensively. My best guess is we'll see a split. Sweeping a series is tough, especially on the road. 

My take on this team offensively... when we forecheck and play with pace, they create space and opportunities and have shown the ability to pot goals much better than the past two seasons. I see no reason why we can't sweep as we are a great defensive team, but a split seems like the smart play. 

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, AJS said:

Agreed, it's hard to expect a sweep. Ideally, sweep at home and at least split on the road.

I think we'll see UND 5-1, Tie 3-3 

Regardless of the atmosphere in Minny, the Gophers still have the talent. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, iluvdebbies said:

#mustsweep

Okay, I'll take the bait. :silly:

No, this is not a "must sweep". If we split this coming weekend and the weekend after that vs. Western Michigan, I will consider both of them positive weekends. Both of these arenas are tough places to play. Although I really hope we can sweep the dirty rodents in their place! ;)

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, ScottM said:

If the Wisco series was any indication, Mariucci will probably be dead both nights, and I would not be surprised if there was more green than maroon in the crowd.  That said, playing Minnesota is always entertaining. 

Took a peek on Minnesota ticket site. Still a bunch of seats available for the Thanksgiving game, as mostly expected. The Friday game has way less available. I imagine there will be a lot of green both nights.

4 minutes ago, HockeyFan31 said:

I imagine there will be a lot of green both nights.

What I've seen on television from Mariucci so far this year most nights is a lot of maroon and gold* ... seats. 

That's not good for college hockey. 

*Seeing those prime, yellow seats sit open has to make the UMn Athletics admins cringe. 

2 hours ago, tho0505 said:

Agreed, it's hard to expect a sweep. Ideally, sweep at home and at least split on the road.

I think we'll see UND 5-1, Tie 3-3 

Regardless of the atmosphere in Minny, the Gophers still have the talent. 

Gophers really packed it in when I was watching Friday night against Wisconsin. Lots of sticks in passing lanes and blocked shots, not to mention an outstanding performance by the starting goalie.

That said, UND is scoring at more than a goal per game higher clip than Minnesota, giving up a goal and half less than Minnesota, has a slightly better PP%, and a much better PK%. UND holds all of the statistical advantages but the old proverbial "throw the records out the window" goes for the rivalry so we shall see how it all plays out. Should be a fun series at any rate, it always is!

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

What I've seen on television from Mariucci so far this year most nights is a lot of maroon and gold* ... seats. 

That's not good for college hockey. 

*Seeing those prime, yellow seats sit open has to make the UMn Athletics admins cringe. 

The problem, as I understand it from Gopher people, is that a lot of those prime seats are sold but are no-shows. So the Minnesota athletic department is getting the dollars, but I think anyone who cares about college hockey can agree that ain't a good look. And that has to be a detriment to recruiting if you have potentials attending games that sparsely attended.