SiouxSports.com Forum

Best Place to Travel to

Langster019

37 minutes ago, keikla said:

Good to know.  Though, even if it was a dump, I'd still go with them being so close.  I'm a huge fan of these trips out east.  I rarely make it back to the midwest but have been able to see the team play in Portland, Boston, Vermont, MSG, and Union recently....it's been awesome.

This one may have fewer Sioux fans than other games out east considering it's the same season as the Nashville game. No contest on which I would choose.

• 3 months later...
7 hours ago, northernraider said:

Couple nice breweries have popped up in the area. I'm a fan of 7 West Taphouse downtown. If looking for an experience, well Red Carpet. 

7 West is not a brewery but has great burgers and beers.. think JL Beers.

Beaver Island brewery is worth a visit.  They have some tasty brews.  The best tap room in the area is Bad Habit in St. Joseph but that is a few miles away from campus.

I typically go MC’s Dugout pre game and Howie’s (dive bar) post game. 

Food: The Olde Brickhouse (downtown) and Val’s Rapid Service (closes at 7pm... think The Kegs). Also, there are a couple of good options in Sauk Rapids in Jimmies Pour House and Olde Capital Tavern.

19 hours ago, Goon said:

Mc's Dugout is awesome. Home of the Hairy Buffalo

MC's Dugout is my go to in Cloud Town. On Fridays they have had a free taco bar or some sort of mini buffet in the past when we've been there. It's not high quality food but it's a good base layer if you're trying to put a few drinks back.:D I DON'T, however, recommend the Hairy Buffalo. I still have nightmares about that thing from time to time, not because it was a rough night or anything, I will just never forget that disgusting taste.

(Sorry to pile on, Goon, but my post on the first page of this thread pretty well sums up my thoughts on the Hairy Buffalo;))

• Upvote 2

Back in the day we made it a goal to get to every WCHA arena.  We were down to our last one, Alaska Anchorage, left to get to when the NCHC appeared.  We have been to every NCHC arena.  We had a good time at Kalamazoo (they have a great Air Force museum at the airport).  Their fans really get into it and the students have some great chants.  Miami has a nice arena, although a bit small.  The downtown Miami area was really crowded for parking after the game.  We actually stayed on the north end of Cincinnati and on Saturday headed to Dayton to tour the USAF museum.  We've been to CC and Denver many times.  Denver is usually 50% UND fans in the arena.  We still go to Duluth, Omaha, and the NCHC tournament every year.  We have been to every WCHA tournament since 2002 until the NCHC was formed and have been to every one of those tournaments.  The one trip that I miss from the WCHA days is Michigan Tech in Houghton.  That was always a good time.

53 minutes ago, HockeyFan31 said:

MC's Dugout is my go to in Cloud Town. On Fridays they have had a free taco bar or some sort of mini buffet in the past when we've been there. It's not high quality food but it's a good base layer if you're trying to put a few drinks back.:D I DON'T, however, recommend the Hairy Buffalo. I still have nightmares about that thing from time to time, not because it was a rough night or anything, I will just never forget that disgusting taste.

(Sorry to pile on, Goon, but my post on the first page of this thread pretty well sums up my thoughts on the Hairy Buffalo;))

First time I drank them I said oh a foo-foo drink and I slammed it. The people I was with looked at me like I was high. I ordered another one and proceeded to do the same thing. One of the guys I was with stopped me mid-swig and told me that I better pace myself. Sucked that one down and before getting my next Hairy Buffalo it hit me. Yikes, these are strong. I don't know, I like them, but they can be a dangerous combination. 

For me its Madison when the skunk cousins have a quality team and following. 

Great rival atmosphere without the Ms. Marriucci arrogance whilst not knowing what the blue stripey thingings are for.

The Madison fans i interact with have always known hockey, talked a little smack and then ate and drank in meriment together win or lose... always was a good time, and they appreciated the effort to attend the games there. 

1 hour ago, HockeyFan31 said:

CC is still on my list. Any suggestions for things to do there, pregame, postgame, etc etc?

There is a restaurant/bar just north of the arena.  We would go there for supper and leave our vehicle parked there while we went to the game.  Thus we didn't have to pay for parking.  We would head downtown after the game.  Our son would take us to a small bar (I can't remember the name), but it was a Green Bay Packers fan place (He is a Packer Fan).

For things to do in the area, Garden of the Gods is good, you can go to the Air Force Academy and look at the aircraft there (especially the A-10 Warthog), drive up the mountain to Pike's Peak, and Cave of the Winds at Manitou Springs.  There is much more to look at, just do a search on the internet.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Frozen4sioux said:

For me its Madison when the skunk cousins have a quality team and following. 

Great rival atmosphere without the Ms. Marriucci arrogance whilst not knowing what the blue stripey thingings are for.

The Madison fans i interact with have always known hockey, talked a little smack and then ate and drank in meriment together win or lose... always was a good time, and they appreciated the effort to attend the games there. 

We were there for the latest Wisconsin series and had a great time.  Many Wisconsin fans thanked us for coming and mentioned that they miss playing UND every year.  They didn't talk quite that nicely about Gophers and their fans.

• 3 weeks later...