SiouxSports.com Forum

Best Place to Travel to

Langster019

Best Place to Travel to

On 5/18/2019 at 7:24 PM, Langster019 said:

I'm from Des Moines, IA. I've been to Denver, Omaha, and Duluth, but want to keep the tradition going with my wife to hit somewhere on the road this year.

The best place to travel to by far?
Check out my MONIKER!

I travel a couple miles about every other weekend all winter long.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

If North Dakota ever plays at Yost Ice Arena again, I'd suggest you go.  For obvious reasons though, I'll be staying away from there.  :wink:

You going stand in the middle of the Michigan hockey and talk smack to them again? :) 

If you went to the Hogger you'd know this story. :) 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

Certainly not my finest hour, was it?  

I don't know, that was one of the funniest stories that you've ever told at the Hogger events. I would've loved to been there to see it live. :) 

On ‎5‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 12:39 PM, HockeyFan31 said:

Agreed on St Cloud's arena. Had some fun times pregaming though. MC's Dugout has a free shuttle to the game, that's really the only place I've even pregamed there. I've heard tons of stories about the Red Carpet though:0

Lots of fun places to pregame in Mankato but the arena is a lot like St Cloud IMO.

I always love Duluth trips. So many places to go there!

Would love to make a Denver or CO Springs trip one of these years.

Omaha is still one of my favorite/memorable roadtrips. The outcomes of the games sure helped on that one but our group had so much fun! That was the old arena though, not sure what their new barn is like.

Love the St. Cloud road trip! Have made quite a few friends to meet up with before(Howies) and after(Red Carpet) games.

20 hours ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Best Place to Travel to

The best place to travel to by far?
Check out my MONIKER!

I travel a couple miles about every other weekend all winter long.

If you're talking about the Ralph, that's on me for not specifying. Thats a multiple time a year trip.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, franchise said:

Obviously facilities aren't the sole determining factor for a recruit, or UND would be loaded

So, what are the factors that sway them? St. Cloudhas been very good for a number of years (although they lay an egg in the NCAA tournament).

Edited by Sodbuster

13 hours ago, Sodbuster said:

So, what are the factors that sway them? St. Cloudhas been very good for a number of years (although they lay an egg in the NCAA tournament).

Coaches, team success, system, friends on the team, location of the school, size of the rink...

27 minutes ago, franchise said:

Coaches, team success, system, friends on the team, location of the school, size of the rink...

Interesting take on the rink size. Heard a fair amount of chatter over the last few years that the big rink size at Mariucci is a recruiting detriment for guys with NHL aspirations. I thought I heard they were going to shrink the ice sheet but that obviously has not happened at this point. No one seems to be complaining about rink size in St Cloud, though.

21 minutes ago, HockeyFan31 said:

Interesting take on the rink size. Heard a fair amount of chatter over the last few years that the big rink size at Mariucci is a recruiting detriment for guys with NHL aspirations. I thought I heard they were going to shrink the ice sheet but that obviously has not happened at this point. No one seems to be complaining about rink size in St Cloud, though.

It's kind of crazy that they actually play on different size rinks.  I could see a playmaker that isn't a fan of contact, giving the edge to a place like St Cloud on the big sheet

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, franchise said:

It's kind of crazy that they actually play on different size rinks.  I could see a playmaker that isn't a fan of contact, giving the edge to a place like St Cloud on the big sheet

Agreed, I wish there was a way college hockey could mandate that but with many older rinks and underfunded programs it would be next to impossible to get everyone on the same playing field(rink size).

But it is interesting on a week to week basis during the season keeping an eye on where your team will play on the road next and what size rink they have.

• Upvote 1

On 5/20/2019 at 11:01 PM, MafiaMan said:

If North Dakota ever plays at Yost Ice Arena again, I'd suggest you go.  For obvious reasons though, I'll be staying away from there.  :wink:

As a matter of fact, I want to go with you.  :);) 

On 5/20/2019 at 11:01 PM, MafiaMan said:

Wonder why the two schools don't work out a home and home.  Seems like UND has played all the old school programs over the years (BU, BC, Sparty, NH, Maine, LSSU, Cornell).....but not Michigan in a series at Yost or the Ralph.

Obviously met in the NCAA's a few times.  Some good, some.....not so good.....

33 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Wonder why the two schools don't work out a home and home.  Seems like UND has played all the old school programs over the years (BU, BC, Sparty, NH, Maine, LSSU, Cornell).....but not Michigan in a series at Yost or the Ralph.

Obviously met in the NCAA's a few times.  Some good, some.....not so good.....

Red never wanted to play the Sioux...maybe Mel will be more willing to add UND to the schedule.

8 minutes ago, Blackheart said:

Red never wanted to play the Sioux...maybe Mel will be more willing to add UND to the schedule.

Right, we tried, Michigan never wanted to play us.

Michigan was upset with Denver, CC, and us when they left the WCHA and never really got over it. Some of it could of been complaints about these 3 schools' rough Canadian hockey players. 

On 5/19/2019 at 2:55 PM, MafiaMan said:

The caravan of Sioux fans down Highway 169 will be back in force this coming October!  

It may not be as easy of a ticket as it used to be. Kato fans have started showing up quite a bit better than in previous years.