SiouxSports.com Forum

Best Place to Travel to

Langster019

I'm from Des Moines, IA. I've been to Denver, Omaha, and Duluth, but want to keep the tradition going with my wife to hit somewhere on the road this year.

We'll definitely being going to Minneapolis to see them play the Goofers, luckily they sell beer now, but we're thinking either Kalamazoo or St. Cloud, or even potentially another trip to Denver as my brother lives there. Anyone have good experiences on must see locations? I plan to hit all 7 away buildings, it's just a matter of time despite having no desire to go to Miami. Colorado Springs will have to happen at some point too.

2 hours ago, keikla said:

Always look at the non-conference away schedule...those have definitely been some of my favorite places.  Union, Vermont, and BU (even though we got swept at BU) were all an absolute blast.

Non-con's for now have to be on the back burner unless kinda close to DSM. NCHC is priority for now.

16 hours ago, Langster019 said:

I'm from Des Moines, IA. I've been to Denver, Omaha, and Duluth, but want to keep the tradition going with my wife to hit somewhere on the road this year.

We'll definitely being going to Minneapolis to see them play the Goofers, luckily they sell beer now, but we're thinking either Kalamazoo or St. Cloud, or even potentially another trip to Denver as my brother lives there. Anyone have good experiences on must see locations? I plan to hit all 7 away buildings, it's just a matter of time despite having no desire to go to Miami. Colorado Springs will have to happen at some point too.

Any particular reason you’re not enthused on going to Miami? That’s my favorite conference road trip so far, and I’ve heard the same from others too. I’m planning to hit Kalamazoo this year as that’s the other  one that’s been highly recommended. 

14 minutes ago, franchise said:

St Cloud's arena is a dump

I love how they renovated it and it looks all nice from the outside and in the entry by the ticket windows and then you walk up the steps into the rink and it’s like “nope, same old dump”  :lol:

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, johnsowe said:

I have been to a few arenas and my fav is Miami and CC.  Vermont was fun and Omaha is too. This year UND plays UM MSU SCSU and UMD all on the road.  So living in the cities its an easy drive to all. 

The caravan of Sioux fans down Highway 169 will be back in force this coming October!  

3 hours ago, siouxforce19 said:

I love how they renovated it and it looks all nice from the outside and in the entry by the ticket windows and then you walk up the steps into the rink and it’s like “nope, same old dump”  :lol:

That arena is a pit. Their fans are by far the worst, too.

If you are planning on going to Mankato get your motel rooms now as it is the same weekend of the Mankato Marathon. MafiaMan and Goon  believe it or not I am running in the 10 Kilometer race on Saturday morning, MIGHT EVEN WEEAR MY FIGHTING SIOUX  jersey!:) MANKATO SHOULD BE HOPPING WITH SIOUX FANS THAT WEEKEND.

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, johnsowe said:

Why are you going to Mankato over Thanksgiving weekend? 

:angry:  i had the wrong Minnesota down on my calendar for Thanksgiving...groan.  It's Gophers over Thanksgiving, Mavericks in October.  I had it the other way around.  

19 hours ago, siouxforce19 said:

Any particular reason you’re not enthused on going to Miami? That’s my favorite conference road trip so far, and I’ve heard the same from others too. I’m planning to hit Kalamazoo this year as that’s the other  one that’s been highly recommended. 

Guess an assumption proved to make an ass out of me. Didn’t think it’d be anything special. Will have to change that and make it there maybe sooner than later. 

18 hours ago, siouxforce19 said:

One weekend there and I'll never go back.  Shuffling thru tiny concrete corridors to go find my seats are covered in sticky crap.  Had to sit on napkins, listening to their stupid goal chant, while shivering and counting their Participation Banners!  No leather or marble to be found anywhere...haha

I would have to agree on St Cloud, the concrete center and its fans are a bore.

I also, haven’t been to Miami yet, although I put it high on my list to attend. Nice clean intimate rink and a short drive after flying into Cincinnati 

Agreed on St Cloud's arena. Had some fun times pregaming though. MC's Dugout has a free shuttle to the game, that's really the only place I've even pregamed there. I've heard tons of stories about the Red Carpet though:0

Lots of fun places to pregame in Mankato but the arena is a lot like St Cloud IMO.

I always love Duluth trips. So many places to go there!

Would love to make a Denver or CO Springs trip one of these years.

Omaha is still one of my favorite/memorable roadtrips. The outcomes of the games sure helped on that one but our group had so much fun! That was the old arena though, not sure what their new barn is like.

19 hours ago, Ice Arena Man said:

If you are planning on going to Mankato get your motel rooms now as it is the same weekend of the Mankato Marathon. MafiaMan and Goon  believe it or not I am running in the 10 Kilometer race on Saturday morning, MIGHT EVEN WEEAR MY FIGHTING SIOUX  jersey!:) MANKATO SHOULD BE HOPPING WITH SIOUX FANS THAT WEEKEND.

I'd get tired driving 10 miles. :) 

1 hour ago, HockeyFan31 said:

Agreed on St Cloud's arena. Had some fun times pregaming though. MC's Dugout has a free shuttle to the game, that's really the only place I've even pregamed there. I've heard tons of stories about the Red Carpet though:0

Lots of fun places to pregame in Mankato but the arena is a lot like St Cloud IMO.

Omaha is still one of my favorite/memorable roadtrips. The outcomes of the games sure helped on that one but our group had so much fun! That was the old arena though, not sure what their new barn is like.

Mc's Dugout is a great bar. They're Hairy Buffalo's are awesome. If you drink too many of them, it can be rough. 

2 hours ago, HockeyFan31 said:

If you ever make it out Denver make sure to go to the Stadium Inn after the game. It's a true dive bar but a lot of fun!

10 hours ago, franchise said:

One weekend there and I'll never go back.  Shuffling thru tiny concrete corridors to go find my seats are covered in sticky crap.  Had to sit on napkins, listening to their stupid goal chant, while shivering and counting their Participation Banners!  No leather or marble to be found anywhere...haha

So, how the they seem to keep landing top notch recruits?