SiouxSports.com Forum

UND- Sacramento State Game Day Thread

SiouxFan100

Game was much easier to find today in the GF Herald. I expected to find a basic” at press time the half time score was....” Hats off to Tom Miller for the complete story after a late game on the west coast. Loved the story 5 things you may have missed...

Glad to see the paper management made sure Tom’s work was published, correctly!

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Siouxperman8 said:

the tailgate party at the hockey game said they will try to get the game on when the party starts.  will be 2 hours into the fb game by that time.

I would love to find a place to watch the whole game.

Motel room party, someone grab your roku and take it with to Vegas.

Just now, geaux_sioux said:

If the Sac announcers said something you can go ahead and disregard it. At one point JJ was a Montana transfer.

Wasn't the announcers. Saw 11 on the game highlights this morning. Unless he was never in a boot,  that was the ND radio announcers. 

4 minutes ago, Ozzie82 said:

Thoughts on the game:

- I'm glad to have gotten through this game without Kett letting his emotions out of hand. Hard to know if his INT was the result of the WR stopping his route or Kett overthrowing it but that was his only major error. That's pretty good because it could have been way worse considering his emotions about yesterday's return to Sac Town.

- Jaxson Turner and Donnell Rogers were studs yesterday. I have been waiting for Donnell to take the next step to become a dominating defensive force and he did that yesterday. And Jaxson really stepped up in Palmborg's absence.

- We were missing 40% of our original starting OL and our All American RB was not been much of a factor yesterday - and we still ran for 480 yards. When our opposition knew it was coming. Yes, Sac State isn't good against the run but we nearly doubled the Hornets average and ran for one of the highest yardage totals in UND history - let's give credit where it is due.

- How about JJ's speed. Holy crap.

- And how both JJ and Brady just POUND people. Boy is it fun to watch them. 

- Our WRs are excellent blockers. That's coaching - both in intention and execution. And the players believe in it. It's great to see.

- Kudos to Aplin and Ngyun for their flexibility - moving positions on the OL and having excellent results. As Geaux Sioux pointed out, what a luxury to have Nate so easily slide between positions. I know they recruit OLs with the thought they they be flexible, but my goodness Nguyen can play well at T, G, and C and he deserves a ton of credit.

- Great to see Carl Engwall swat that pass that led to Donnell's interception. 

- Penalties have not been a major issue of late.

- The defense was again outstanding, making a back up QB look like a back up QB and holding Sac State to FGs opportunities. Great job.

- To have 3 turnovers and atrocious special teams play and still win by that margin tells us how good this team can be.

- The special teams have been atrocious. No doubt they should immediately recruit both a kicker and long snapper (who has largely escaped criticism but has not been good enough, even before the snap yesterday). At this point in the season it does not appear that we will be able to kick a game winning FG of any length, so we will have to adjust our 4th down offensive mindset going forward. The best we can hope for is to clean up the punting game and kick return game because place kicking is too far gone this season.

- Our DBs have been great but it drives me nuts to see they tackle with just their shoulders, not their arms. We saw it with Cole in previous seasons and the tradition continues (except for Holm who understands form tackling). Stick and wrap, boys. Stick and wrap. It's football 101.

- Our strength of schedule took a hit yesterday with both Sammy and Idaho State losing.

- I woke up this morning feeling great about this team. They are improving and heading in the right direction. HUGE game this week. I'm already pumped.

Agree 1000+

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Ozzie82 said:

Thoughts on the game:

- I'm glad to have gotten through this game without Kett letting his emotions out of hand. Hard to know if his INT was the result of the WR stopping his route or Kett overthrowing it but that was his only major error. That's pretty good because it could have been way worse considering his emotions about yesterday's return to Sac Town.

- Jaxson Turner and Donnell Rogers were studs yesterday. I have been waiting for Donnell to take the next step to become a dominating defensive force and he did that yesterday. And Jaxson really stepped up in Palmborg's absence.

- We were missing 40% of our original starting OL and our All American RB was not been much of a factor yesterday - and we still ran for 480 yards. When our opposition knew it was coming. Yes, Sac State isn't good against the run but we nearly doubled the Hornets average and ran for one of the highest yardage totals in UND history - let's give credit where it is due.

- How about JJ's speed. Holy crap.

- And how both JJ and Brady just POUND people. Boy is it fun to watch them. 

- Our WRs are excellent blockers. That's coaching - both in intention and execution. And the players believe in it. It's great to see.

- Kudos to Aplin and Ngyun for their flexibility - moving positions on the OL and having excellent results. As Geaux Sioux pointed out, what a luxury to have Nate so easily slide between positions. I know they recruit OLs with the thought they they be flexible, but my goodness Nguyen can play well at T, G, and C and he deserves a ton of credit.

- Great to see Carl Engwall swat that pass that led to Donnell's interception. 

- Penalties have not been a major issue of late.

- 20 Points in the third quarter, people. 20 POINTS IN THE THIRD QUARTER! That's more like it.

- The defense was again outstanding, making a back up QB look like a back up QB and holding Sac State to FGs opportunities. Great job.

- To have 3 turnovers and atrocious special teams play and still win by that margin tells us how good this team can be.

- The special teams have been atrocious. No doubt they should immediately recruit both a kicker and long snapper (who has largely escaped criticism but has not been good enough, even before the snap yesterday). At this point in the season it does not appear that we will be able to kick a game winning FG of any length, so we will have to adjust our 4th down offensive mindset going forward. The best we can hope for is to clean up the punting game and kick return game because place kicking is too far gone this season.

- Our DBs have been great but it drives me nuts to see they tackle with just their shoulders, not their arms. We saw it with Cole in previous seasons and the tradition continues (except for Holm who understands form tackling). Stick and wrap, boys. Stick and wrap. It's football 101.

- Our strength of schedule took a hit yesterday with both Sammy and Idaho State losing.

- I woke up this morning feeling great about this team. They are improving and heading in the right direction. HUGE game this week. I'm already pumped.

Blubaugh is a decent tackler too, can’t stand watching Harris tackle though 

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

He was certainly more aggressive on the ball his junior year. Entirely possible his injury has kept him from getting back to that level. 

I've seen him get ripped a bit on this forum. I cut him some slack because I don't know how anyone could come back as good as new after an achillies injury. Especially if you play CB. He's been (at the very least) solid this year and that's better than I expected, honestly.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Ozzie82 said:

I've seen him get ripped a bit on this forum. I cut him some slack because I don't know how anyone could come back as good as new after an achillies injury. Especially if you play CB. He's been (at the very least) solid this year and that's better than I expected, honestly.

I can understand and accept limited mobility, but it's tough to blame his achilles for his shoulder throw tackling.

• Upvote 1