SiouxSports.com Forum

UND- Idaho State Game Day Thread

SiouxFan100

30 minutes ago, Irish said:

I just don't see the collective will to demand a winner.  It's easier to blame hockey, lack of phase II, the Bison out-recruiting us, poor luck, or fans who don'"support the coaching staff".  

This is a common theme of another poster and one I don't comprehend.

I believe, if I read this correctly, if we are NOT today calling for Bubba's head, we are not part of the "collective will to demand a winner." I call BS. Everyone here wants a winner. Just not sure that calling for the head coach's head is the answer.

Yet.

1 hour ago, geaux_sioux said:

Like I said, he has big plans. The guy is a dreamer.

Big plans cost big dollar$ and we don't have that kind of money to throw around.   Besides, dreams are usually just that, fantasy.   You keep talking about his big plans, so let's hear about them.   You keep throwing that statement out, so nows your chance to one up SV.   And    I'm assuming we aren't going FBS by July 1.

The worst part of yesterday’s loss was not simply the fact UND lost to a historically poor football program in the Alerus Center (upsets happen in college football), but the fact that this exact thing has happened before under Bubba and it is becoming a pattern of incompetence and incapability.

The recurring nature of these losses worries me tremendously. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Hawkster said:

Big plans cost big dollar$ and we don't have that kind of money to throw around.   Besides, dreams are usually just that, fantasy.   You keep talking about his big plans, so let's hear about them.   You keep throwing that statement out, so nows your chance to one up SV.   And    I'm assuming we aren't going FBS by July 1.

I owe nothing to you. 

4 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

By the end of 2015 we were far from mediocre. Why? Clive George’s taking the top off the defense.

This. I think the 2015 team was the best Bubba has had, better than the 9-2 team the next year. They were firing at the end of the year.

This is a genuine question that I don't know the answer to. Why didn't UND make adjustments earlier in the game on the defensive side? It was night and day better in the 2nd half, but why not make them earlier? Is there just not enough time when the offense is on the field to get it figured out? 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, AJS said:

This is a genuine question that I don't know the answer to. Why didn't UND make adjustments earlier in the game on the defensive side? It was night and day better in the 2nd half, but why not make them earlier? Is there just not enough time when the offense is on the field to get it figured out? 

Same thing against mvsu. No defensive changes made till halftime. 

54 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

The worst part of yesterday’s loss was not simply the fact UND lost to a historically poor football program in the Alerus Center (upsets happen in college football), but the fact that this exact thing has happened before under Bubba and it is becoming a pattern of incompetence and incapability.

The recurring nature of these losses worries me tremendously. 

Agreed. I do want to point out (like you and others have pointed out), that the loss yesterday had equal blame between coaches, players both offensively and defensively. They were in position to win the game and the players didn't make the plays. Too many dropped balls from receivers. I am also very concerned with this pattern of blowing games. Losing yesterday was completely unacceptable. This program cannot get out of its own way.

This isn't a bad team. There is still hope yet this year, because the Defense is good (no idea what happened in the 1st half). I've said it before, but they need to think of every game going forward as a playoff game. Do that and they can still have a successful year.

Edit: I think most of us would have thought they'd be 2-2 after 4 games. They are still a playoff team with an 8-3 record. If they finish 7-4 (which is what I predicted), I would consider that a successful year as long as they (1) Have some games where they dominate (2) Losses are close. You can build off that. 

5 minutes ago, AJS said:

UND scored just 21 points against Idaho State. UND scored 0 points the entire second half. Idaho State’s top defender was hurt in the 1st quarter and did not return. Idaho State surrendered 45 points in their previous game.

UND’s offense needed to make adjustments. It was awful in the 2nd half. In fact, it has been awful in the second half for 4 straight games now. It’s officially their identify right now. 

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, AJS said:

Agreed. I do want to point out (like you and others have pointed out), that the loss yesterday had equal blame between coaches, players both offensively and defensively. They were in position to win the game and the players didn't make the plays. Too many dropped balls from receivers. I am also very concerned with this pattern of blowing games. Losing yesterday was completely unacceptable. This program cannot get out of its own way.

This isn't a bad team. There is still hope yet this year, because the Defense is good (no idea what happened in the 1st half). I've said it before, but they need to think of every game going forward as a playoff game. Do that and they can still have a successful year.

Edit: I think most of us would have thought they'd be 2-2 after 4 games. They are still a playoff team with an 8-3 record. If they finish 7-4 (which is what I predicted), I would consider that a successful year as long as they (1) Have some games where they dominate (2) Losses are close. You can build off that. 

They aren’t capable of going 8-3 or 7-4 after what they’ve shown thus far. Their wins are appearing well below average. I agree that 8-3 would be deserving of FCS playoffs, but I don’t see how this team - with how the players play and the coaches coach - can have a winning season. 

1 minute ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

They aren’t capable of going 8-3 or 7-4 after what they’ve shown thus far. Their wins are appearing well below average. I agree that 8-3 would be deserving of FCS playoffs, but I don’t see how this team - with how the players play and the coaches coach - can have a winning season. 

I am not completely giving up all hope. We have shown glimpses of playing very good. 

The rest of the schedule:

at Northern Colorado

Montana

at Sac St

Weber st

at Idaho 

Portland St

at NAU

Northern Colorado and Sac St are probably underrated teams and they have some quick athletes.  Weber St is probably the tallest hurdle but that game is at home.  Montana is overrated and should have lost to Sac St.

A 6-1 record almost assures a playoff berth and a 5-2 record will still leave a chance.  As I see it, the next three games are all critical wins.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, shep said:

This is a common theme of another poster and one I don't comprehend.

I believe, if I read this correctly, if we are NOT today calling for Bubba's head, we are not part of the "collective will to demand a winner." I call BS. Everyone here wants a winner. Just not sure that calling for the head coach's head is the answer.

Yet.

We wouldn't even have to be thinking of a coaching change if we had a coach who was willing to change.  Bubba's signature type game so far is a momentum stealing second half total collapse at home in front of a crowd wanting to believe.  I would feel much better if I had any confidence that Bubba would be willing to make changes to the program.  So far - not.

• Upvote 3

On 9/22/2018 at 9:28 PM, shep said:

He will be approached at season's end with a choice-make staff changes or the whole staff will be changed.

Too late IMO. The time for home to make staff changes was last year. If the OC has to go, Bubba should too. He put all his chips on “his guy” and he is losing. Chaves need to step in and bring this program back to a winning mentality.

• Upvote 3

55 minutes ago, Cratter said:

Human nature: 2% don't care out of the 2,000.... Looks the same as all the outdoor music festivals I've been to.

At Christian concerts, there is rarely trash left.  Same for concerts in Japan.  People were amazed at the cleanliness of locker rooms left by the Japan World Cup team and Army football team.

6 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

This is basically an argument to 1) Drop FB or 2) Drop back down to D-II and join the NSIC. No thank you.

The idea that having a solid, all-around athletic department will somehow "kill the goose that lays the golden eggs" is pure nonsense and not supported by any facts (alternative or otherwise).

A solid, all-around athletic department will lift all programs to greater things.

And I hope Chaves has a plan to get us there. #sickofmediocrity

Facts are facts and this isn't an argument to drop football down to D2, UND and the community doesn't support football or any other sport like it does hockey and that is the truth.  I am not saying it's right or wrong but it is the truth.  I lived it and know exactly how it was in the situation, and we had a strong program at the time I was playing.  Grand Forks is a hockey town first and that isn't a bad thing but you can't expect football recruits to fall all over themselves to play at UND when the school to the south is dominating and is a football town first. It is a minor obstacle for the football program but certainly not something they cannot or will not overcome.  

14 hours ago, Sioux>Bison said:

Anyone see the Vikes game today? How about the Packers game?  Are their seasons over because get lost to teams they thought they should beat? 

Great point.  There is still plenty of time for Minnesota and Green Bay to impress the selection committee with a few more “quality losses” and make the playoffs.

Oh, wait...that’s not how it works in the NFL.