SiouxSports.com Forum

Will UND Baseball ever return?

BobIwabuchiFan

8 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

Yes 

Ok but in what capacity?  If UND doesn't fund them why would they need to fund a Women's team?

If UND only provides a locker room and academic support, etc then they would only have to do that for an added Women's team, no?

2 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

Ok but in what capacity?  If UND doesn't fund them why would they need to fund a Women's team?

If UND only provides a locker room and academic support, etc then they would only have to do that for an added Women's team, no?

Even if it's privately financed, the money flows through UND and they'd be competing under the UND name.  UND would have to provide equivalent opportunity to female participants, regardless of funding source.

• Upvote 2

• 9 months later...
1 hour ago, zavalney said:

There will now be eight baseball teams in the North Star.

http://www.playnorthstar.com/sport/0/3

The Esport addition and baseball are all about increasing enrollment.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, UNDBIZ said:

Sigh! This makes me sad, could have been an interesting year for baseball! 

I for one would love to see it return, but understand the difficulty of the sport in a northern location . Also, Kraft Field was not exactly D1 baseball material. Heck, Bemidji State has a better a field. 

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, northernraider said:

I for one would love to see it return, but understand the difficulty of the sport in a northern location . Also, Kraft Field was not exactly D1 baseball material. Heck, Bemidji State has a better a field. 

2017 would have been a team that could have made some noise. That line-up was impactful for the various teams they landed on.

2018 and 2019 would have had a good nucleus and with the guys Dobson was landing who knows.

On 7/19/2018 at 5:44 PM, SiouxVolley said:

UND should mandate a domed stadium as a gift to bring back baseball.  Ridiculous to have a sport where you have so few home games.

I don’t think it works that way. The donor may mandate a domed facility but who would UND’s mandate go to???  You are correct in stating a domed stadium would be a priority for long term baseball success. 

10 hours ago, northernraider said:

Zach Muckenhirn is with Orioles AA team. Had been invited to spring training this spring. 

4 minutes ago, iramurphy said:

I don’t think it works that way. The donor may mandate a domed facility but who would UND’s mandate go to???  You are correct in stating a domed stadium would be a priority for long term baseball success. 

UND baseball in the summer months outside would work, but the NCAA doesn’t want to move the season.  The Pro draft is in early June and most players get positions in summer leagues.  DII or NAIA would work.

On 7/19/2018 at 4:44 PM, SiouxVolley said:

UND should mandate a domed stadium as a gift to bring back baseball.  Ridiculous to have a sport where you have so few home games.

Hold my beer.  Imagine having NFL stadiums that cost hundreds of millions of dollars -- and they're only used anywhere from about 12 to 15 days per year.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

Hold my beer.  Imagine having NFL stadiums that cost hundreds of millions of dollars -- and they're only used anywhere from about 12 to 15 days per year.

As if pro stadiums don’t have concerts or other events.  But each pro game has 80,000 spectators.

Kroenke is building $5 billion stadium at Holllywood Park with entirely private financing.  It will be used year round for events as well as Chargers and Rams games.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/the-rams-5-billion-stadium-is-bigger-than-disneyland-it-might-be-perfect-for-la/2019/01/26/7c393898-20c3-11e9-8e21-59a09ff1e2a1_story.html?utm_term=.e494ea15a8af

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Rebel_Sioux said:

It was sad to see any sports go but it makes sense based on the facilities and the weather. Frankly I'm surprised we still have softball. 

Why isn't softball played in the Alerus all year. I am sure the attendance would be more plus earlier home games will attract more fans instead of waiting for the snow to melt.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...