SiouxSports.com Forum

Kennedy vs. Engelstad Foundation: GF herald feature

jdub27

19 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

If calling for strengthening all of our athletic programs is "anti-hockey", then I am not the one with the problem.

This is not a zero-sum game. Strengthening our other programs will not make hockey weaker. It will make the entire department stronger. But the hockey-only zealots couldn't care less if the non-hockey programs rot on the vine and die. That has to change. Otherwise, we need to move back down to D-II. And no, I am not being facetious about that.

Maybe one day we can have a fanbase that cares about the whole school not just one sport at the expense of other sports. 1997-2001 we had 3 sports playing for national titles in that short of years, I bet there was no division in the fanbase and everyone wanted all the programs to succeed. Then the nickname list came out in 2005 and that all went to hell. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Teeder11 said:

How about start by just being a UND fan and not differentiate between programs. 

5 hours ago, Siouxperman8 said:

Wondering what your baseline is a fb fan. Or maybe looking to justify why you don’t care about the fb program?

How many UND fb games did you attend last year?  

I am a UND fan, don't commit much time to sports other than hockey as that takes too much of my time as it is...

I have never attended a football game, not even as a student...  Hunting was the fall priority.  As an old fart I decided to take an interest this year, which was disappointing but the attitudes of football fans on here are enough for me to go meh, maybe nascar or tiddlywinks...  to each their own.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, 90siouxfan said:

I am a UND fan, don't commit much time to sports other than hockey as that takes too much of my time as it is...

I have never attended a football game, not even as a student...  Hunting was the fall priority.  As an old fart I decided to take an interest this year, which was disappointing but the attitudes of football fans on here are enough for me to go meh, maybe nascar or tiddlywinks...  to each their own.

I hear the weather was pretty fair for spring ball...

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, UND1983 said:

I'll take that as you haven't.   Take a tour around one day when your up there.  Might be surprised.

Then, compare it to the hockey locker rooms that needed to be "upgraded".  

If a player can't win because he wants a nicer place to hang his jock, then he's not committed to the sport.

• Downvote 4

3 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Perhaps that player can win and is choosing to do so at a school that gives him a nicer place to hang his jock

Should we offer to gold plate his jock too right away?    Come on, yes locker rooms need to be nice but don't need to some exotic looking place to inspire the players.   Besides, we aren't USD.    We don't trash the locker room when we lose.

3 hours ago, nhockey30 said:

Very well said. I am 100% in favor of funding the football and bb programs more, however we can not cut back on the hockey team. I agree that the football ticket sales part of the REA contract makes no sense at all. That money should go back to the University (football team) to be reinvested back into the program. Is there a way that can be accomplished? Is there a way to fund Football and BB with more money and still fund Hockey (our largest followed sport) at the same level we do today?

Are you on the IAC? Yes, those things can happen but only under the circumstances. 1)They increase ticket revenue (which football did last season but 52% went to the REA). 2)UND renegotiates with their partners which is what Kennedy is trying to do. 3)A combination of the previous two. 

2 hours ago, nhockey30 said:

Agree 100% the football ticket revenue needs to be removed from the REA contract, in no way, shape or form should the football program pay for the hockey program at all. That money needs to all go back to the U/football program. Is that enough to drive the football program to new heights? I honestly don't know? Also why can't we get a deal like NDSU has with the Dome? No rent, free to use for games, etc. That was reported on this board many pages ago.

NDSU pays rent to the Fargodome just like UND pays rent to the Alerus (though more, since UND use the Alerus less). 

15 minutes ago, TRex said:

Should we offer to gold plate his jock too right away?    Come on, yes locker rooms need to be nice but don't need to some exotic looking place to inspire the players.   Besides, we aren't USD.    We don't trash the locker room when we lose.

I'm not sure how one can rip on the idea of new locker rooms for the football team while not even acknowledging the money spent on the hockey locker rooms which are 70+ years newer and "needed" a $3 million plus renovation to remain competitive. But your comments, I assume you haven't seen the new hockey locker rooms. It's about as close to gold plated jock straps as you'll get. 

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Are you on the IAC? Yes, those things can happen but only under the circumstances. 1)They increase ticket revenue (which football did last season but 52% went to the REA). 2)UND renegotiates with their partners which is what Kennedy is trying to do. 3)A combination of the previous two. 

NDSU pays rent to the Fargodome just like UND pays rent to the Alerus (though more, since UND use the Alerus less). 

I'm not sure how one can rip on the idea of new locker rooms for the football team while not even acknowledging the money spent on the hockey locker rooms which are 70+ years newer and "needed" a $3 million plus renovation to remain competitive. But your comments, I assume you haven't seen the new hockey locker rooms. It's about as close to gold plated jock straps as you'll get. 

Privately funded with contributions specifically for that.

On another note. Whatever happened to David Fennell. It was probably 7-8 years ago when it was rumored he was going to be making a substantial contribution to UND athletics.

Former football player and CFL Hall of Famer who has made a fortune in mining.

1 hour ago, jdub27 said:

The thing is, we need other things a lot more than we need new locker rooms.   The HPC needs phase 2, and coaches salaries need to be drastically increased, so that doesn't leave much for locker rooms.   Obvious solution is renegotiate the deal with KEM but as a major donor she holds the high cards so not much we can do.

I think you are wrong on NDSU paying rent too.   It seems to me there was a post here earlier that said they get free rent for the Fargodome since NDSU gave the land to build on.    That's their cash cow.

2 minutes ago, TRex said:

The thing is, we need other things a lot more than we need new locker rooms.   The HPC needs phase 2, and coaches salaries need to be drastically increased, so that doesn't leave much for locker rooms.   Obvious solution is renegotiate the deal with KEM but as a major donor she holds the high cards so not much we can do.

I think you are wrong on NDSU paying rent too.   It seems to me there was a post here earlier that said they get free rent for the Fargodome since NDSU gave the land to build on.    That's their cash cow.

Locker rooms are part of hpc2. Not talking about the Alerus locker rooms. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, sprig said:

I'll  change anti hockey to those in this thread who are ripping hockey, the program,  the team,  the coaches,  etc

Like oxbow, I've never heard anyone at hockey ragging on other UND sports. In fact,  most everyone I know has tickets for all sports

Get your head out of the sand.

• Downvote 4

3 hours ago, darell1976 said:

Maybe one day we can have a fanbase that cares about the whole school not just one sport at the expense of other sports. 1997-2001 we had 3 sports playing for national titles in that short of years, I bet there was no division in the fanbase and everyone wanted all the programs to succeed. Then the nickname list came out in 2005 and that all went to hell. 

Or the REA came online in 2001 ...

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, TRex said:

I can probably find the actual terms later but here's a decade old article showing NDSU and the Fargodome having a disagreement in rent (sound familiar?) but NDSU absolutely pays rent for their use of the Fargodome. 

http://www.inforum.com/content/rent-revenue-sharing-issue-ndsu-lease-fargodome

And as already stated, one of the biggest parts of Phase 2 is the locker room and coaches offices. Though i don't disagree with your solution to the issue. 

Well.  This whole shitshow goes to show that the IAC should be dissolved.  What was part of their recommendation for keeping all sports and womens hockey again?  Renegotiate the contract with the Ralph?  L.O.L....

On 5/10/2018 at 11:04 PM, Hammersmith said:

What the heck, I'll answer this one to the best of my abilities. The terms of the deal have been publicized numerous times in the past, so I think I'll get it pretty close, though I might be wrong in a couple details.

NDSU owns the land the Fargodome sits on. NDSU agreed to a 99-year lease of the land to the city of Fargo for $1(per year?) in exchange for limited free rent. NDSU gets a certain number of days per year free of charge, then can choose to rent extra days at a preferential rate. I believe the number of free days is something like 15/year, though I could be off by a little. I think it's two days per regular season home game plus one day for spring graduation.

As to the gate, NDSU gets 100% of the ticket revenue for everything except the suites(18 suites x 16 ticket each or 288 tickets total). The Fargodome keeps all of the suite revenue. Team Makers gets 100% of the seating fees. I believe NDSU gets a cut of the concessions, but the FD keeps the majority of that(something like an 80/20 split?). The FD gets most or all of the parking revenue from the regular lots. Team Makers rents the tailgating lots from the FD and pays for extra security, but gets 100% of the tailgating parking pass money.

As far as advertising goes, I think the FD keeps all money specific to the FD, while NDSU keeps all money specific to NDSU football. For example, if Cloverdale Meats pays to put their logo on the FD scoreboard, that money goes to the FD. But if they pay to put their logo on the Bison FB banner that runs the length of the sideline behind the bench, then I believe that goes to NDSU. But don't hold me to this paragraph; I could easily be wrong.

While some of the particulars may have changed a bit over the years(number of free dates, rates for additional days, cut of concessions, etc.), I believe the fundamental deal has been the same from the beginning.

I'm not taking a side in the Kennedy/McGrady fight, just clearing up the NDSU/FD stuff. Carry on.

7 hours ago, jdub27 said:

I can probably find the actual terms later but here's a decade old article showing NDSU and the Fargodome having a disagreement in rent (sound familiar?) but NDSU absolutely pays rent for their use of the Fargodome. 

http://www.inforum.com/content/rent-revenue-sharing-issue-ndsu-lease-fargodome

And as already stated, one of the biggest parts of Phase 2 is the locker room and coaches offices. Though i don't disagree with your solution to the issue. 

Looks like even the NDSU guys think they get free rent.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, nodak651 said:

Well.  This whole shitshow goes to show that the IAC should be dissolved.  

Not going to happen. Firstly, they are "advisory" only; they have no real power. Next, it's an institutional control issue so its an NCAA membership issue. 

If anything that committee needs to show more gravitas and far less frivolity.