SiouxSports.com Forum

Kennedy vs. Engelstad Foundation: GF herald feature

jdub27

2 hours ago, nodak651 said:

New usage agreement through 2020... the minimum is still 500K.  Not surprising that REA returned more money to UND this year after rocky negotiations were front page news this summer.

"At the end of each year, REA funds a capital reserve fund for extraordinary repairs, maintenance, and building enhancements as well as an operating reserve fund to cover unanticipated operating expenses, and then allocates the balance of its annual net income to UND athletics. The entities aim to make an annual minimum deposit of $500,000, which is also consistent with previous usage agreements.http://www.grandforksherald.com/news/education/4462768-und-ralph-engelstad-arena-reach-new-multiyear-usage-agreement

Looks like the REA tends to return the bare minimum to UND, if possible.

I hope you enjoy the new scoreboard while all non hockey sports starve for cash.  

Then people wonder why there is a divison between the hockey program and the rest of UND athletics. Welcome to the University of Engelstad. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Just now, WiSioux said:

How dare we spend money on our money making sport... *Gasp*

"spend money" on hockey.  lol.  Yep they are...no worries there.  

Like I said before, the hockey locker rooms are sorely outdated.  Get ICON in there and figure something out for them, my word.  

4 minutes ago, WiSioux said:

How dare we spend money on our money making sport... *Gasp*

Yet the REA still needs to take 52% of the ticket revenue from the football program just to stay afloat! Those 7 year old video boards are really showing their age, glad they have the funds sitting around to update those before they hit double digits in age.

Just think, the cost of the new boards would have almost covered 2 more seasons of WIH....

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

The new screens will help insure that fans have a wonderful experience.  The Alerus and Betty have done similar things.  Getting fans to pay for ticket is one of the most prudent opportunities.  

Good luck with that for the rest of the home games for UND FB.

What's 52% of 2000+ empty seats???

4 minutes ago, gfhockey said:

Locker rooms aren’t outdated. They were just re done last year 

Define "last year"?  Technology and design have changed quite dramatically in the last 9-12 months.  There is a very real chance their locker rooms are embarrassingly outdated.  

1 hour ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Maybe the Engelstad Foundation will donate the remainder of what is needed for Phase 2 and then all will be happy!!

Because the "game changer" of the indoor practice facility hasn't helped us figure out to win the games you are supposed to.  The nice thing is that with Phase 2, Rudy will have a nice space to draw up those plays that will help "get er' done".

7 minutes ago, tnt said:

The notion that UND can't compete in football and other sports because they are underfunded is ludicrous.  It is all about culture, and the people continually railing on the hockey program  because of jealousies are only enabling the excuses that they can't compete because of funding.  The last I heard most of the Big Sky didn't offer FCOA, so UND should have an advantage there.  Women's volleyball isn't all of a sudden good because they received all the more funding, it is because they have coaches that changed the culture of losing and excuses. 

Who has ever definitively stated that they can't compete? 

I have seen comments that it would sure as hell help them to have new facilities because they are in the same locker room as players that are currently 90 years old played in.  

Ralph Engelstad gave the state of ND an enormous gift with a big vision for UND MH. Thank You. The gift being immediate use / future interest, with building (on UND land) paid for before the 1st puck was dropped.

The Ralph, as it is organizationally setup, is like a LION. It is going to feed itself first. Doesn't seem like anyone is going to crack the code to change this practice prior to 2030 when the University will own the building (past few U presidents have tried, all that this accomplishes is an upset daughter). There seems to be a goal here to keep MH a #1 program, is this a bad thing, maybe not? Does The Ralph have the $ to build Phase II? No, to borrow some to help build it, maybe, but probably not a good idea? I get the concerns over the 52%, but after appropriate expense are accounted for and the additional $500k to $1M that is given to the AD each year, is there anything really left over from ticket sales? There are around two more years of payments for The Betty.

In the mean time, we that want Phase II need to make donations and help find the other donations. Chaves has Phase II as one of his priorities, going to need some heavy hitters also. Let's get this going.

Ever wonder if football loses fans because the fans it does have are so bitter and jealous of the hockey program?  I am a hockey first fan, always will be, it is the sport I enjoy the most.  At this point in my life I have time to add another interest, I picked UND football for multiple reasons but to be honest, the fans that I observe on here for the most part make me think more about doing something else until October.

• Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, 90siouxfan said:

Ever wonder if football loses fans because the fans it does have are so bitter and jealous of the hockey program?  I am a hockey first fan, always will be, it is the sport I enjoy the most.  At this point in my life I have time to add another interest, I picked UND football for multiple reasons but to be honest, the fans that I observe on here for the most part make me think more about doing something else until October.

Go into Memorial Stadium sometime.  It will take 10 mins.  Then get back to us with your thoughts.  

This is strictly a facilities conversation.   Yes, we know Rudy can coach much, much better.  Bubba needs to do much more with his handling of the game plans and overseeing his team.  There are issues other than facilities, we all know 

7 minutes ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Ralph Engelstad gave the state of ND an enormous gift with a big vision for UND MH. Thank You. The gift being immediate use / future interest, with building (on UND land) paid for before the 1st puck was dropped.

The Ralph, as it is organizationally setup, is like a LION. It is going to feed itself first. Doesn't seem like anyone is going to crack the code to change this practice prior to 2030 when the University will own the building (past few U presidents have tried, all that this accomplishes is an upset daughter). There seems to be a goal here to keep MH a #1 program, is this a bad thing, maybe not? Does The Ralph have the $ to build Phase II? No, to borrow some to help build it, maybe, but probably not a good idea? I get the concerns over the 52%, but after appropriate expense are accounted for and the additional $500k to $1M that is given to the AD each year, is there anything really left over from ticket sales? There are around two more years of payments for The Betty.

In the mean time, we that want Phase II need to make donations and help find the other donations. Chaves has Phase II as one of his priorities, going to need some heavy hitters also. Let's get this going.

You would think a certain potential heavy hitter would be able to help out, but wonder if a recent decision the university made is giving his pause....

2 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

Go into Memorial Stadium sometime.  It will take 10 mins.  Then get back to us with your thoughts.  

This is strictly a facilities conversation.   Yes, we know Rudy can coach much, much better.  Bubba needs to do much more with his handling of the game plans and overseeing his team.  There are issues other than facilities, we all know 

I get that, but cutting down others to elevate yourself seems like the immature way to approach the situation.  Maybe Ralph seen this coming and wanted to keep the football buzzards of his meat wagon.  I have no idea the ins and outs of the ticket situation but am fairly certain it is not as simple as a 'we want more" discussion.

4 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

I will do that, haven't been below the grand stands since mid 70's.

• Upvote 1