SiouxSports.com Forum

2018 NCAA Tournament - Worst to First

MafiaMan

Coach Sandelin getting his 'props' and probably will be collegiate coach of the year...interesting article on how his staff 'keeps' the talent pipeline full....Contrary  to some posts....NCAA 'ice' hockey Frozen Four is sold out...of course some of those tickets are available....always are..as folks whose teams don't make it offer them up...

5 hours ago, John W. said:

Coach Sandelin getting his 'props' and probably will be collegiate coach of the year...interesting article on how his staff 'keeps' the talent pipeline full....Contrary  to some posts....NCAA 'ice' hockey Frozen Four is sold out...of course some of those tickets are available....always are..as folks whose teams don't make it offer them up...

False. Jeff Jackson was named coach of the year. 

• Upvote 1

On 4/1/2018 at 3:32 AM, Cratter said:

If UND was in the Big Ten, in ten years UND fans would come to hate all those teams and their fans too.

If UND played Notre Dame in conference play the past twenty years instead of UMD, more UND fans would be cheering for UMD next weekend.

I'll cheer for a small school like UMD any day over, we have so much money we don't know what to do with it all, Notre Dame ("Our $11 Billion endowment only puts us in the top 10 Richest schools"), Michigan ("Lets go win the Final and Frozen Four"), or Ohio State ("Our football team is valued at $1.5 Billion, the highest of any such program in the country").

Uh, but we don't. Why does this matter? 

I hate Duluth because we play Duluth often. This is how rivalries work.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, John W. said:

Your posts come across as the ramblings of a junkie. Finish a thought before moving on to the next.

7 hours ago, John W. said:

yep, thru ticketmaster...because it's not sold out

2 hours ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I don't see every conference member UND plays as a "rival."

I take a more of a  national view of who I do and do not cheer for in the Frozen Four.

I cheer for Central HS to beat RR in hockey, but I'll cheer for RR to beat anyone else at state.

31 minutes ago, Cratter said:

I don't see every conference member UND plays as a "rival."

I take a more of a  national view of who I do and do not cheer for in the Frozen Four.

At this stage of the tournament, I also approach cheering this way.  UND's "rivals" are the 6 other elite hockey programs with numerous national championships (Michigan, Denver, Wisconsin, Minnesota, BC, BU).

Good Lord, if you're going to go, don't buy your tickets on Ticketmaster.  Go to the NCAA.com/exchange site where tickets are being sold waaaaay under face value. . . including mine, by the way!!  :)  It looks like I might end up going cuz $100 below face value for both nights is as low as I'm willing to go . . . Granted, then I'll have to cheer for Duluth to make the Championship game so I can make some money back on the Sat. tickets and watch the game across the street at the bar.  :0

We are going to the Frozen Four this weekend. Started going in 2000. This will be our 14th one since then. Thought a lot about who to root for and it is hard.  Don't want Michigan to win one to move another one away from us. Plus I hate their fight song. Don't like the golden domers. Don't care about Ohio State.  Logic said root for Duluth. But then thought  back to last year's final in the NCHC when they literally tried to injure our players until they were successful in knocking Tucker Poolman out of the NCAA tourney. Plus of course running Cam Johnson twice. Then see them knee Jones in the third place game this year. So even though Duluth is an NCHC team can't root for them. So I guess by default it is Ohio State.  

• Like 1

Just now, Stack said:

We are going to the Frozen Four this weekend. Started going in 2000. This will be our 14th one since then. Thought a lot about who to root for and it is hard.  Don't want Michigan to win one to move another one away from us. Plus I hate their fight song. Don't like the golden domers. Don't care about Ohio State.,  Logic said root for Duluth. But then thought  back to last year's final in the NCHC when they literally tried to injure our players until they were successful in knocking Tucker Poolman out of the NCAA tourney. Then see them knee Jones in the third place game this year. So even though Duluth is an NCHC team can't root for them. So I guess by default it is Ohio State.  

I’m cheering for Ohio State because Nick Jones hated it there so much that he left OSU and ended up at UND, and I’m thankful for that. 

Petty? Maybe. But options are slim and that reasoning is good enough for me. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, siouxforce19 said:

I’m cheering for Ohio State because Nick Jones hated it there so much that he left OSU and ended up at UND, and I’m thankful for that. 

How huge is that Jones transfer? Such a great UND-type player. I can’t wait to see how well he does next year...just bummed that we only get him 2 seasons. 

"Go Dawgs"....been enjoying Matt Wellens articles on UMD this week....great beat writer for the Duluth. News Tribune....covers  UMD hockey as well as St. Scholastica and UW -Suoerior plus high school hockey....a hockey journalist WITH a future....

(I know it's hard for 'haters' to give props...but take a deep breath and enjoy!!!!)

3 hours ago, John W. said:

"Go Dawgs"....been enjoying Matt Wellens articles on UMD this week....great beat writer for the Duluth. News Tribune....covers  UMD hockey as well as St. Scholastica and UW -Suoerior plus high school hockey....a hockey journalist WITH a future....

(I know it's hard for 'haters' to give props...but take a deep breath and enjoy!!!!)

Well said!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12 hours ago, siouxforce19 said:

Petty? Maybe. But options are slim and that reasoning is good enough for me. 

9 hours ago, brianvf said:

How huge is that Jones transfer? Such a great UND-type player. I can’t wait to see how well he does next year...just bummed that we only get him 2 seasons. 

I wonder what he thinks now - the program he transferred from is a (somewhat unlikely) frozen four participant; whereas the juggernaut program he transferred to didn't make the tournament. 

35 minutes ago, Dustin said:

I wonder what he thinks now - the program he transferred from is a (somewhat unlikely) frozen four participant; whereas the juggernaut program he transferred to didn't make the tournament. 

He seems content with where he is at. 

Just because Ohio State is doing well now doesn’t mean it was the right place for him. He wasn’t enjoying his time there on or off ice, so he had to move on. 

On 4/3/2018 at 10:25 AM, stoneySIOUX said:

Uh, but we don't. Why does this matter? 

Yeah, I don't understand the whole pulling for conference opponents in the tourney. I would never have cheered for the Gophers or Wisconsin in the WCHA days.

Maybe I would for a team who hasn't been there lately like W. Michigan, kind of like I would have for an Anchorage or Tech way back in the day. 

• Upvote 3

45 minutes ago, Dustin said:

but are there any puck bunnies at OSU? seems like it would just be leftover from football and basketball.

• Upvote 1

Haters still venting.....Go Dawgs....OBW....I'm not trolling....I'm a UND athletic donor....have FB season tickets....had...operative 'had'....hockey season tickets......but "Let's go Susies" chants got to me....FB, VB and BB pretty much embracing the name/logo change....Wonder what the graduation rates are for the top athletic programs at UND....most DI schools keep track of that...and some even have incentives in coaches contracts for high graduation rates....I can guess which program would be lowest at UND....and that's not reflective of student athletes as many hockey players are stashed by NHL at colleges until needed by the pro team who has their 'rights'....

Enjoy the 'Frozen Four'...about 18 in my family going to be there....from various states....but all born in upper Midwest....

• Downvote 5