SiouxSports.com Forum

University of North Dakota 2018-19 Season

Frozen4sioux

On 9/28/2018 at 6:59 PM, AJS said:

I posted a few months back how I thought this defensive core was going to be deeper than the '16 group, won't be as talented with the Top 4, but I'd take 5-7 this year over '16. Kierstad / Shaw / Peski > Thompson / Wolanin (FR) / Shaw (FR)

From what I'm hearing, maybe not this year, but they aren't far off. Apparently we have a couple of budding studs back there.

On 9/30/2018 at 10:06 AM, Sodbuster said:

Maybe it was mentioned here already and I missed it, but was there an iron man competition for the team this year? Also, there sure isn't much information coming out so far about how things are looking on the ice.

Nothing about the ironman but here's an update on the freshmen 

On the little media day clip it looked like Weatherby was with Cole Smith and Ludvig Hoff on a line.  Will be interesting to see what the lines are for the exhibition game.  Would like to see Jones stay with Mismash and Kawaguchi, as they looked pretty good at the end of last year.  

50 minutes ago, tnt said:

On the little media day clip it looked like Weatherby was with Cole Smith and Ludvig Hoff on a line.  Will be interesting to see what the lines are for the exhibition game.  Would like to see Jones stay with Mismash and Kawaguchi, as they looked pretty good at the end of last year.  

I like that Hoff line. I'd be shocked if we don't at least start the season with Mash, Jones and Gooch together.

33 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I like that Hoff line. I'd be shocked if we don't at least start the season with Mash, Jones and Gooch together.

I think I saw a short videoclip of Gardner with Adams also on one of the TV station clips, but would need to view again. Agree about starting the season keeping the Jones line in tact - already know it has worked, so might as well keep going with it. 

33 minutes ago, siouxforce19 said:

I think I saw a short videoclip of Gardner with Adams also on one of the TV station clips, but would need to view again. Agree about starting the season keeping the Jones line in tact - already know it has worked, so might as well keep going with it. 

JJ maybe? I'd like that line. Two big guys to clear space for the playmaker. Adams has shown that he can score when he gets space. If you get two guys who can help him create that separation, maybe you got something.

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

Unless something has changed, Adams needs more than big bodies with him. He needs guys who can help cover for his defensive misgivings (unless he's fixed those over the summer). 

I was speaking more toward offense, of course. It's all about size, as far as I'm concerned, for him. I have no doubt Pooly had him bulking and hitting the weights hard this summer. Playing with Rhett would be very helpful.

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

Unless something has changed, Adams needs more than big bodies with him. He needs guys who can help cover for his defensive misgivings (unless he's fixed those over the summer). 

Gardner is the NCHC Defensive Forward of the Year. Would playing with him not be helpful? 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Agreed. JJ is a solid defensive player, as well.

Also, Guch wasn’t the greatest defensive player either - he even admits it. They put him with Jones and that seemed to work out last season. I’m guessing they’re hoping for similar results. 

I'm very excited about the upcoming season - should be a good one.  Sounds like Berry is astute enough to took at last year and make some changes.  It seems he has emphasized team leadership and unity in the off season.  In addition, he has been recruiting his butt off lately.  If our veterans can make the jump from last year that we expect we should be a good team and maybe more once the frosh find their stride.

So, if the media day clips are an indication and if the Jones, Kawaguchi , Mismash line stays together, Hain either is on the line with Gardner and Adams, or on a line with Bowen, and either Yon/Senden/Keane/Casey Johnson.   

9 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

A new 3-minute warning will be used when there is three minutes remaining in the intermission to let people know that the game is about to resume and encourage them to return to their seats. 

I like this.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

48 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

I like this.

Definitely, can't tell you how many time I'm in a conversation with someone and I look up and the puck has dropped. Immediately panic and say "well great talking to you...<mumble a joke about hockey being more important than the current conversation and walk away>"

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1