SiouxSports.com Forum

University of North Dakota 2018-19 Season

Frozen4sioux

1 hour ago, UND1981 said:

I hope you are right about the flying Finn.  He needs to be a scorer.

In my opinion, we need both Euros to step up their goal production.  I think the key to the season will be off season development.  I hope the team has a fire in their bellies.  

On 9/19/2018 at 8:21 PM, Godsmack said:

https://thehockeywriters.com/ncaa-predictions-nchc/

Sorry to waste everyone’s time reading this but wanted to point out the fallacies and just all-around lack of effort taken in the writers’ “research.” And I don’t say this because of where they’re predicting my two teams-UND and CC-to finish but the factual inaccuracies (i.e., CC not having a 30 point scorer on their roster....hello? Nick Halloran???) or their analysis of UND playing a dump and chase system (yes, they played a slower style last season but that was a function of the team’s lack of skill players and finishers) and their analysis of them versus St. Cloud.

I just read this. I am in awe of how badly informed the writer is, and how badly researched it was. On every team in the league. 

14 minutes ago, siouxforce19 said:

I just read this. I am in awe of how badly informed the writer is, and how badly researched it was. On every team in the league. 

Yikes. I don't see UND finishing fifth in the NCHC this season. 

North Dakota is in a tight position for one major reason: their system. There’s always one team that refuses to play systems like everyone else and somehow, they get away with it. The Fighting Hawks are that team that can fight and win with a dump-and-chase game.

With teams like St. Cloud State and Duluth, that can push the pace of the game and skate as skillfully as the best of them, in-conference, it’s out-dated and a near death sentence to continue playing a stop-and-go style like going in on the forecheck.

I remember watching a game between SCSU and UND. The scoreboard didn’t say it, a one-goal contest through most of the game, but the Huskies were skating circles around the Hawks. You could hold your breath in awe of how skilled the Huskies were while the Hawks looked flat. Ultimately, UND lost that game and it’s a perfect example of how a system can make or break a team. This season, they won’t be made or broken by it but they’ll fall to an unpleasant, but not horrible, no. 5 position.

As the season plays out, Grant Mismash is a key player to keep an eye on. The sophomore forward will likely be at the WJC in December after being named to the Summer Showcase. Mismash, a Nashville Predators prospect, describes himself as a gritty forward with a shoot-first mentality.

On ‎9‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 8:21 PM, Godsmack said:

https://thehockeywriters.com/ncaa-predictions-nchc/

Sorry to waste everyone’s time reading this but wanted to point out the fallacies and just all-around lack of effort taken in the writers’ “research.” And I don’t say this because of where they’re predicting my two teams-UND and CC-to finish but the factual inaccuracies (i.e., CC not having a 30 point scorer on their roster....hello? Nick Halloran???) or their analysis of UND playing a dump and chase system (yes, they played a slower style last season but that was a function of the team’s lack of skill players and finishers) and their analysis of them versus St. Cloud.

Without looking at her reasoning, I think she has UND in the correct place. Not saying they'll finish 5th, but I could see that. Her having CC last though is as preposterous as it gets. They lose nobody to graduation and swap low end players for a pretty good recruiting class and she has them worse than the year before? Also, Western Michigan would have finished in the Top 4 without injuries last year and bring everyone back as well.

Teams she has too high -- Denver and Omaha, too low, CC & Western.

Edit: Also, Miami will finish last, that you can bank on.

1 minute ago, AJS said:

Without looking at her reasoning, I think she has UND in the correct place. Not saying they'll finish 5th, but I could see that. Her having CC last though is as preposterous as it gets. They lose nobody to graduation and swap low end players for a pretty good recruiting class and she has them worse than the year before? Also, Western Michigan would have finished in the Top 4 without injuries last year and bring everyone back as well.

Teams she has too high -- Denver and Omaha, too low, CC & Western.

Edit: Also, Miami will finish last, that you can bank on.

I don't see DU finishing second with what they've lost. I also don't see UNO finishing above UND or in third place. 

4 minutes ago, Goon said:

I don't see DU finishing second with what they've lost. I also don't see UNO finishing above UND or in third place. 

My prediction would be:

1. St. Cloud

2. Western Michigan

3. CC

4. Duluth

5. UND

6. Denver

7. UNO

8. Miami

Side note: The NCHC is going to be strong again this year

40 minutes ago, AJS said:

My prediction would be:

1. St. Cloud

2. Western Michigan

3. CC

4. Duluth

5. UND

6. Denver

7. UNO

8. Miami

I don’t see CC or Western that high at all. I think they’ll be behind both Duluth and UND. 

Returning your entire roster of a bottom half team means nothing to me, if I’m being honest. I’ve seen this all before. 

59 minutes ago, AJS said:

My prediction would be:

1. St. Cloud

2. Western Michigan

3. CC

4. Duluth

5. UND

6. Denver

7. UNO

8. Miami

With how close things were last year after Denver and St. Cloud, I can definitely see 2-6 any which way this year.  Hoping that UND turns a lot of those ties into wins this year and can actually move up in the standings and challenge for the league title.  Need guys to step up and some freshmen to produce right away.  From what I gather from this board and other rumors floating around, hopefully team chemistry will be better this year as well.  Hopefully the letter Berry sent out thanking season ticket holders is correct, and the players worked their butts off this summer and there won't be a better conditioned team in the league. 

15 minutes ago, siouxforce19 said:

I don’t see CC or Western that high at all. I think they’ll be behind both Duluth and UND. 

Returning your entire roster of a bottom half team means nothing to me, if I’m being honest. I’ve seen this all before. 

You can look at it that they have to prove themselves first, or you could look at it that they only finished two points behind us last year and in CC's case return everyone, and in Western Michigan's case return an injured players that could have jumped to the professional ranks.  I'm hoping for them to stay behind us, but they have some things to be excited about just like us. 

25 minutes ago, tnt said:

You can look at it that they have to prove themselves first, or you could look at it that they only finished two points behind us last year and in CC's case return everyone, and in Western Michigan's case return an injured players that could have jumped to the professional ranks.  I'm hoping for them to stay behind us, but they have some things to be excited about just like us. 

Obviously I’m just one person’s opinion, but I didn’t find myself all that impressed with Western when we played them when they were full strength. So I’m a “wait and see” with them. They have some good players but as a team sure took a lot of penalties. CC is an improved team but I’m more inclined to put them middle of the pack then top 3 at this point. 

2 hours ago, siouxforce19 said:

Obviously I’m just one person’s opinion, but I didn’t find myself all that impressed with Western when we played them when they were full strength. So I’m a “wait and see” with them. They have some good players but as a team sure took a lot of penalties. CC is an improved team but I’m more inclined to put them middle of the pack then top 3 at this point. 

What could potentially hold Western back is their reliable lack of discipline; year in and year out, they take a lot of penalties.

What could potentially hurt CC, is their coaching. Haviland makes a lot of head scratching moves. So if he stays out of the way, they should be fine.