SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA @ DU - SATURDAY Gameday

AZSIOUX

On 11/19/2017 at 9:38 PM, AJS said:

My observations from the weekend:

Overall, very solid showing, they proved they can compete with the best in the country. This team does have incredible depth and they can roll 4 lines so effectively, Denver has elite players and it showed on the power play.

Referee's were terrible, Saturday they had a direct effect on the game which should never happen. I wouldn't say there were any phantom calls, but Smith's "major" is the one that really drove me nuts. You can't call a major just because a guy gets hurt (guy who clearly came back too early from his injury). My big problem was I've never seen so many 50 / 50 calls all go one way. Couple questionable calls, the 5 minute major, disallowed goal. It was like a Denver fan was controlling the refs. 

Montgomery is an absolute clown. His tirades work no doubt as far as influencing the referees, but I'd be embarrassed if Berry carried himself the way Monty does. I soured on him after last season and they way he carried himself with the Florida job and the influence on players returning, ect. It was all true, but his arrogance was incredible.  

The Smith penalty was enough for NCHC to take a look at it’s officials. Add on Monty’s influence to both that penalty and the disallowed goal, they should reprimand Monty too! The worst part of Monty’s weekend is that he brought back a player who was obviously still injured and exposed him to further injury! We all assume that UND has been too cautious when our players are injured, they are never allowed on the ice in game situation until 100%! If I was a parent or friend of a future DU recruit or player I would be outraged that a coach would do that to a player on his team.

34 minutes ago, mattim said:

The Smith penalty was enough for NCHC to take a look at it’s officials. Add on Monty’s influence to both that penalty and the disallowed goal, they should reprimand Monty too! The worst part of Monty’s weekend is that he brought back a player who was obviously still injured and exposed him to further injury! We all assume that UND has been too cautious when our players are injured, they are never allowed on the ice in game situation until 100%! If I was a parent or friend of a future DU recruit or player I would be outraged that a coach would do that to a player on his team.

I predict that nothing will happen to Monty, although the officials from that game should have a vacation.  Speaking of vacations, has Todd Anderson officiated a game since his Frozen Faceoff appearance?  I haven't heard his name this year.

2 hours ago, Goon said:

I predict that nothing will happen to Monty, although the officials from that game should have a vacation.  Speaking of vacations, has Todd Anderson officiated a game since his Frozen Faceoff appearance?  I haven't heard his name this year.

Anderson has worked games this year.

23 hours ago, tnt said:

Just want to hear an explanation from the league what happened with the disallowed goal, being that there are two different explanations given, depending on who you talk to. 

I would like to hear how a skates up, feet first slide into Thome wasn't a penalty, much less a five minute major.

2 hours ago, mattim said:

Who was Plant drafted by? How do you think they feel about Monty playing an injured player?

I wonder what prospect weighing College vs CHL think of horse crap officiating.  You would think NCAA, NCHC, and College Hockey Inc would all want to present a better product.  Ooops  NCAA don't give a !@#$ about hockey. 

47 minutes ago, siouxforce19 said:

There is an off ice official from this weekend’s games arguing with UND fans on the NCAA ice hockey Facebook page. Must not have a social media policy to abide by to do that... 

Who?  The guy that keeps the pucks iced, or clean/dry towels in the penalty boxes?

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Ranger said:

Who?  The guy that keeps the pucks iced, or clean/dry towels in the penalty boxes?

Doesn’t really matter. He’s using his job (whatever he actually does) as a justification to belittle fans who disagree with the calls on Saturday. As if he’s an expert because he opens the penalty box door or whatever it is he does... 

9 minutes ago, siouxforce19 said:

Doesn’t really matter. He’s using his job (whatever he actually does) as a justification to belittle fans who disagree with the calls on Saturday. As if he’s an expert because he opens the penalty box door or whatever it is he does... 

I bet he gets fired.

52 minutes ago, siouxforce19 said:

In certain cases Off-Ice Officials can also help bring up and advise officials on video review.

Good thing we didn't have any controversial video reviews this weekend  :ohmy:

1 minute ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

In certain cases Off-Ice Officials can also help bring up and advise officials on video review.

Good thing we didn't have any controversial video reviews this weekend  :ohmy:

Actually, no they can't.  At least not the type of off ice "official" he is.  He's a glorified fan who gets to sit in the penalty box and open doors.  At most, he marks down penalties, goals, times, etc as part of the official record.

38 minutes ago, southpaw said:

Actually, no they can't.  At least not the type of off ice "official" he is.  He's a glorified fan who gets to sit in the penalty box and open doors.  At most, he marks down penalties, goals, times, etc as part of the official record.

Well that's good, I know in some leagues the off-ice officials are involved in the video review.  Thankfully that's the case because that overturned goal call felt like it was made by a glorified fan.

36 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

Well that's good, I know in some leagues the off-ice officials are involved in the video review.  Thankfully that's the case because that overturned goal call felt like it was made by a glorified fan.

This guy is using the term "official" very loosely.  There are real off-ice officials that are hired directly by the NCHC.  They are involved in replay reviews and such.  This guy is nothing of the sort.