SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA @ DU - SATURDAY Gameday

AZSIOUX

1 minute ago, siouxforce19 said:

I basically was partially glad he got kicked out because I foolishly thought it meant we’d get less penalties as that was his 4th of the weekend... 

I had some of those thoughts as well.   From the team's perspective, the story here is that the whole mess could all have been avoided if he'd played smart.   Not even real smart:  average smart.

3 minutes ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

It shouldn't but it does. 

I hear a lot of talk about taking diving out of the game, but I've seen nothing that makes me think they're taking it seriously. Even on the rare occasion they call diving they're taking two to the box and not just one. They need to change the way the game is called in order to change the way the game is played.

19 minutes ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

With me seeing JUST the clip (even in slow motion instead of real time speed), I see it as a clear cut 2:00 interference. There is no direct head contact, no high elbows, no high speed running before hand (both gliding), no awkward landing into the boards, and no leaving the feet. No major, just a indisputable interference call. 

Now, hearing he was down and hurt after the play makes it tough for me to think the refs could've called it any other way though. Majors have to happen, and need to happen, and an unsuspecting and unprepared player getting nailed out of no where and getting hurt over it is always going to turn into a major. On top of that, whether the refs are supposed to or not, or tried to or not, I'm sure they were influenced by the crowd, Monty, and the physical play of the game leading up to that point and the style Smith had been playing with leading up to that point. With all of that said, it only adds on top of the reasoning for them to call it a 5. It sucks for UND, but I think any ncaa ref, at any rink, between any 2 teams will call a major in that situation. By no means am I defending the refs in the game as a whole, as I did not see the game. I do agree that something seems fishy about the extremely lop sided penalty calling and no goal challenge/not challenge ordeal. Especially with what happened against St. Cloud just last weekend.  

What injury was Plant recovering from before Saturday? A concussion? If not a concussion I don't see how that factors into this conversation? Playing tentative and not able to protect himself the same as normal maybe?  Either way, even if he did come back too early I doubt that was something the ref considered when he was thinking about his call during his 2-3 second window...he just saw a blatantly obvious interference where a player got injured. Stupid play by Smith. 

11 minutes ago, UNDMOORHEAD said:

The fact a player got injured should not turn an obvious 2 in to a 5 in any league at any level. This is why players pretend they got shot and lay on the ice all the time.

Anyone else think Borgstrom and the other DU player kneeling next to Plante while he was down contributed to the major? 

I 100% respect the fact that he was hurt and hope he's going to be ok and they are looking out for their guy, but for cryin' out loud, get the players out of there, refs. No business being there.

1 minute ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Anyone else think Borgstrom and the other DU player kneeling next to Plante while he was down contributed to the major? 

I 100% respect the fact that he was hurt and hope he's going to be ok and they are looking out for their guy, but for cryin' out loud, get the players out of there, refs. No business being there.

Did they call it a major right off the bat, or was it a delayed decision? If it was later on, then all of the above contributed to their decision. Consciously and Subconsciously I'm sure. 

4 minutes ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

Did they call it a major right off the bat, or was it a delayed decision? If it was later on, then all of the above contributed to their decision. Consciously and Subconsciously I'm sure. 

It did not get called right away.  And either player could have avoided the contact. Neither did. 

• Upvote 1

As others have said (a lot) in this thread, the Smith call was an easy 2 min, but major...probably not, especially if Plant springs right up. But go back and look at the JJ elbowing call. That should've been an easy 5 with direct elbow-to-head contact. I thought major penalties were reviewable, and they probably could've taken the time to do so on these two. It wouldn't have helped our cause much, but might've taken some of the questioning away from us fans. I agree though about Smith, he could not get out of his own way this weekend. Four penalties in a little over a game of work...he might have to sit a game this week.

Just now, SiouxTupa said:

As others have said (a lot) in this thread, the Smith call was an easy 2 min, but major...probably not, especially if Plant springs right up. But go back and look at the JJ elbowing call. That should've been an easy 5 with direct elbow-to-head contact. I thought major penalties were reviewable, and they probably could've taken the time to do so on these two. It wouldn't have helped our cause much, but might've taken some of the questioning away from us fans. I agree though about Smith, he could not get out of his own way this weekend. Four penalties in a little over a game of work...he might have to sit a game this week.

Should've been three.

15 minutes ago, UNDMOORHEAD said:

I hear a lot of talk about taking diving out of the game, but I've seen nothing that makes me think they're taking it seriously. Even on the rare occasion they call diving they're taking two to the box and not just one. They need to change the way the game is called in order to change the way the game is played.

Unfortunately, with the increasingly strong push for player protection within all contact sports including hockey, there will continually be more serious consequential decisions made about collisions, which will result in more major calls and more suspensions which will result in the undeniable incentive for players to draw those penalties, which will result in even more flopping. Long story short, I think it's only going to get worse...

It makes me miss the rough and tough days of hockey, even just 15 years ago. Sure the cleaner, faster and smoother hockey is awesome to watch, but I think the flopping trumps it all in the other direction. This isn't basketball, this isn't soccer, but we're getting closer to that mentality everyday. 

1 minute ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

Unfortunately, with the increasingly strong push for player protection within all contact sports including hockey, there will continually be more serious consequential decisions made about collisions, which will result in more major calls and more suspensions which will result in the undeniable incentive for players to draw those penalties, which will result in even more flopping. Long story short, I think it's only going to get worse...

It makes me miss the rough and tough days of hockey, even just 15 years ago. Sure the cleaner, faster and smoother hockey is awesome to watch, I think the flopping trumps it all in a negative way. This isn't basketball, this isn't soccer, but we're getting closer to that mentality everyday. 

If it continues to get worse it may make hockey hard to watch.

46 minutes ago, UNDMOORHEAD said:

The fact a player got injured should not turn an obvious 2 in to a 5 in any league at any level. This is why players pretend they got shot and lay on the ice all the time.

This is my thought as well, it's a shame Plant got hurt, but that's not a 5 minute major.

1 minute ago, AJS said:

This is my thought as well, it's a shame Plant got hurt, but that's not a 5 minute major.

Yet if the tables turned and that was a UND player laying on the ice with a concussion and their player hadn't gotten a major this board would all be saying the opposite. 

I agree, the play itself was not a major. But him staying down hurt, Smith's reputation within the series, the angry home crowd + coach, and the fact that it was and outright cheap shot hit in a non-hitting situation led it to be a major. Every time 

• Downvote 1

Yet if the tables turned and that was a UND player laying on the ice with a concussion and their player hadn't gotten a major this board would all be saying the opposite. 

I agree, the play itself was not a major. But him staying down hurt, Smith's reputation within the series, the angry home crowd + coach, and the fact that it was and outright cheap shot hit in a non-hitting situation led it to be a major. Every time 

If Smith's hit was a major, Paukovich should've got a lifetime ban.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

I don't agree with this. In the moment, maybe. But seeing the replay, that is a terrible, terrible call. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

46 minutes ago, UNDMOORHEAD said:

Pains me to say this but maybe it is time for our guys to start diving. I have always been proud of the fact that you rarely see our guys doing this but after Saturday watching their guy dive and act like his cage has nerves and feelings I have changed my tune.

• Downvote 1

This is well said, I can get on the same page that although I don't think it was a major, I can see why it was called a major. My overall problem with Saturday wasn't any one call in particular, but them collectively. Probably will never see another game called like it.

• Downvote 1