SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA vs. Manitoba - Saturday Gameday

AZSIOUX

16 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Thoughts:

-If Hoff can play with Pogo and Gersich as the number one center this team seems all the more deeper up front.  Freeing up Rhett to play with Mismash and Adams on the physical scoring line will give opponents matchup issues deciding who to put their number one defensive combo out against.  

-Loved the line combos, and Smith and Gornall weren't in the lineup.

-Wolanin had a good summer, he creates so much space when he's moving his feet and is tough to stop in attack mode.

-Speaking of good summers, Casey Johnson bounced a few Bisons around with the extra muscle he put on.  

-Liked Thome....big body, not overly aggressive (doesn't have to be) lets things come to him.

I questioned Hoff on 1st line center but he at least looked pretty comfortable there tonight! 

Shaw had a rough game, Colton also made a really bad turnover. Gotta take care of the puck better. Flashes of what we have tho, so itll be fun to watch as the season progresses.

16 minutes ago, KS SIOUX said:

Just asking since I’ve seen him play when he was a Topeka Roadrunner - Gornall?  

Is he hurt or piss off Bubs again?

The vibe I got from Berry on pre game on Midco was that they wanted a better look at the freshmen, so they opted to sit Gornall and Cole Smith. 

12 minutes ago, FGHTNSX Hawkey14 said:

Yup. I remember specifically, this game two years ago. It was a lot closer physically. In addition, MB has already played 8 games, previous to tonight.

I was a little nervous when I read GF Herald this am:

Michael St. Croix, the son of Winnipeg Jets/Manitoba Moose goalie coach Rick St. Croix, is on the team. If you remember, Michael was a highly coveted prospect during his junior years. He played on the Winnipeg Wild midget team with Brendan O’Donnell and I’m sure UND was after him. Everyone was. St. Croix was the No. 4 overall pick in the WHL draft, though, and opted not to go the NCAA route

St. Croix had a big junior career in the WHL and was drafted in the fourth round by the New York Rangers, but mainly played in the ECHL after aging out of juniors. He did ink a contract with the Rangers.

Another name that pops out is Zach Franko, who was teammates with St. Croix and O’Donnell on that Winnipeg Wild squad. Franko committed to Bemidji State, but pulled out to go major junior.

The third name that jumps out is Blake Heinrich. He was committed to Minnesota Duluth and would still be on the team had he not jumped ship for major juniors. Heinrich was fifth-round pick of the Washington Capitals, but the Caps didn’t sign him.

BUT.... the boys looked OK

3 hours ago, FGHTNSX Hawkey14 said:

Yup. I remember specifically, this game two years ago. It was a lot closer physically. In addition, MB has already played 8 games, previous to tonight.

Exactly.  Hearing this was Manitoba's 9th game already, helped put this game into perspective.  Obviously some things to work on, but a good showing by the new guys! Looking forward to the season!

10 minutes ago, SiouxForever said:

Forgot about Cole Smith. UND will need him in the lineup going forward. 

Smith and Gornall are 4th liners. They'll have their roles at some point. I'm a big fan of Gornall.

6 hours ago, SiouxForever said:

Smith is your 3rd line energy guy that’ll chip in garbage goals. 

So who do you take out? I think Yon may even have been an extra last night.  Adams, Kawaguchi, Mismash and Jones all look like they belong as well.  May depend on what type of team they are playing against.

5 minutes ago, tnt said:

So who do you take out? I think Yon may even have been an extra last night.  Adams, Kawaguchi, Mishmash and Jones all look like they belong as well.  May depend on what type of team they are playing against.

Depends on the team they play. Say come MN in 3 weeks I want Smith in due to experience. 

A good problem to have going forward  

Loved the fourth line....Smith works there too.  I think at points you could see Olson as a healthy scratch and the line feature Bowen-Simo-Smith.  

Bowen might be my favorite player.  Could use him anywhere and he'd have success. 

3 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Loved the fourth line....Smith works there too.  I think at points you could see Olson as a healthy scratch and the line feature Bowen-Simo-Smith.  

Bowen might be my favorite player.  Could use him anywhere and he'd have success. 

Agree as to Bowen. Most versatile player UND has rostered.

1 hour ago, tnt said:

So who do you take out? I think Yon may even have been an extra last night.  Adams, Kawaguchi, Mishmash and Jones all look like they belong as well.  May depend on what type of team they are playing against.

Definitely gonna be some tough decisions for the staff. I thought Janatuinen looked like a guy last night that could be in and out if he doesn't step up. He was the forward I thought struggled the most last night.

Really pleasantly surprised with Hoff on that first line.  I agree with JJ really being the only forward that was pretty invisible.  

D made quite a few mistakes, but I attribute that to first time at game speed this year.

Based on what I saw last night, I think you have Yon and JJ duking it out for one spot when we are looking for offense, and Gornall and Smith duking it out for that same spot when we need grit.  As always, any passengers in practice or on Friday will be in street clothes.