SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux Falls Regional -- Yes!

cowboys5xsbs

1 hour ago, Big Green said:

I'll be interested to see how ticket sales are for this.  I'm not sold on the fact that this will be a tough ticket to get.  With Frozen Faceoff in Mpls the weekend before and frozen four in St Paul 2 weeks after.  I’m not sure how many people are going to be excited to travel down for this.  Without a guarantee of UND making the NCAA tournament I know I won’t be purchasing until I’m positive UND will be there.  If I don't get tickets so be it.

Interesting perspective.  For me, it doesn't change a whole lot.  We go to Frozen Fours, regardless of location.  Not likely to go to the Frozen Faceoff again anytime soon, unless regionals get too far in an undesirable place (so not for the next two years).  Attended the last regional at the X, even though UND wasn't there, and having the next two in SF and Fargo all but guarantees we'll go.

Chance of attendance:

Frozen Faceoff: 10%

Regional: 95% (100% once confirmed UND is in)

Frozen Four: 100%

2 hours ago, UNDBIZ said:

History indicates if Providence makes the tournament, they'll be placed in Providence whether they're the host school or not.

Providence should just host the regional there instead of Brown, if you can't make the NCAAs then why should that school get money from hosting the regional. Regional host should be schools that have made the NCAA tournament in, at least, the last 20 years.

I'd like to see the other schools in Minnesota host the regional at the X then it always being Minnesota.

17 minutes ago, KoolGuy2K said:

I'm guessing that the Sioux Falls regional won't sell out from just the season ticket holders, like in Fargo. So I'm hoping I will be there. :D 

Watch it sell out like Fargo does with Champions Club members. 

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, ringneck28 said:

great rotation, SF one year, Fargo next, repeat

Absolutely, as a UND fan, I hope they never switch back to on campus sites. It's clear that the Midwest sites of the past can't make money, so those schools have quit bidding, the only real competition UND has in the West is schools that would bid the Xcel (if that's the case, the X could host the Midwest regional). There's no competition for them. Keep this rotation going!

I think SF will be really successful, as long as UND keeps the streak of making the tournament going. SF is a nice sized city with a strong USHL base, I bet we see a decent sized turnout from SF residents that are hockey fans (couple thousand). Add UND fans (6-7K) and sprinkle in fans from the other schools and you should have no problem getting 9K in the arena.   

• Upvote 4

14 minutes ago, AJS said:

Absolutely, as a UND fan, I hope they never switch back to on campus sites. It's clear that the Midwest sites of the past can't make money, so those schools have quit bidding, the only real competition UND has in the West is schools that would bid the Xcel (if that's the case, the X could host the Midwest regional). There's no competition for them. Keep this rotation going!

I think SF will be really successful, as long as UND keeps the streak of making the tournament going. SF is a nice sized city with a strong USHL base, I bet we see a decent sized turnout from SF residents that are hockey fans (couple thousand). Add UND fans (6-7K) and sprinkle in fans from the other schools and you should have no problem getting 9K in the arena.   

Rapid City has a pretty decent hockey system in place. Might get some fans from there too. Hockey is also growing a bit in Aberdeen and Brookings with their NAHL teams. So a few fans from there might travel as well. 

I think Sioux Falls is a great choice! (I may be a bit biased as I live here)  premier center is a great venue, only downfall is lack of restaurants/ bars within walking distance to arena.  But downtown and now the 8th and railroad area are really great areas to hang out and have a nice variety of bars, food and even a few brewery/tap rooms.

Hopefully the slightly larger capacity than scheel's means I'll actually be able to get my hands on some tickets!

21 minutes ago, 05grad said:

I think Sioux Falls is a great choice! (I may be a bit biased as I live here)  premier center is a great venue, only downfall is lack of restaurants/ bars within walking distance to arena.  But downtown and now the 8th and railroad area are really great areas to hang out and have a nice variety of bars, food and even a few brewery/tap rooms.

Hopefully the slightly larger capacity than scheel's means I'll actually be able to get my hands on some tickets!

Not slightly larger, significantly larger.

2 hours ago, ringneck28 said:

That is my fear, I never understood the 4 ticket per person.  

It's per Champions club account.  Only one person can control an account. 

If you share tickets with another, only one of you gets the call and you need to figure our what is fair for you two with that option of tickets.

4 hours ago, cberkas said:

Watch it sell out like Fargo does with Champions Club members. 

It will not sell out to Champions Club members. Everyone I know, at even the lowest level, got tickets for Fargo this year. The Champions Club is not some exclusive, upper class,elite group. You could have been a member for $135 a year, 37 cents a day. Next year it's going to $200, 55 cents a day. All money goes to UND athletics. Everyone bitches about budget cuts, not paying coaches enough,etc. Here's your chance.Talk is cheap,it takes money to buy whiskey.

• Upvote 4

25 minutes ago, runaroundsioux said:

It will not sell out to Champions Club members. Everyone I know, at even the lowest level, got tickets for Fargo this year. The Champions Club is not some exclusive, upper class,elite group. You could have been a member for $135 a year, 38 cents a day. Next year it's going to $200, 56 cents a day. All money goes to UND athletics. Everyone bitches about budget cuts, not paying coaches enough,etc. Here's your chance.Talk is cheap,it takes money to buy whiskey.

They could offer more seats per member in Sioux Falls.

16 hours ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

Really good point here, I think it's almost a forgone conclusion that this will be the worst attended Frozen Faceoff to date.

Even if it's at the X?  I've heard over and over that fans will come out in droves if it moves to St. Paul.

• Upvote 1