SiouxSports.com Forum

Coach Jones?

darell1976

With today's loss to SUU, Jones becomes the only coach in North Dakota history to lose 20 games in a season twice. The only other coach to lose 20 games in a season was Rich Glas, in his first year.

Ramping up for that end of season run?

Assuming that the two years left on Jones' contract buy him another year, is there much question that his future at UND is pretty much dependent upon Crandall and Seales being difference-makers immediately? And by difference-makers, I mean being clearly better than Tyler and DeRouen were this year. I just don't see much hope that the other returnees' improvement is going to be enough for UND to rise all that much in the standings.

Assuming that the two years left on Jones' contract buy him another year, is there much question that his future at UND is pretty much dependent upon Crandall and Seales being difference-makers immediately? And by difference-makers, I mean being clearly better than Tyler and DeRouen were this year. I just don't see much hope that the other returnees' improvement is going to be enough for UND to rise all that much in the standings.

Freshman bigs will be significantly better. Bernstine adds some rebounding and toughness.

Freshman bigs will be significantly better. Bernstine adds some rebounding and toughness.

I'm sure they'll be better, but SUU returns pretty much everybody, too. Somebody has to finish in the bottom few of the conference. Besides Idaho St., I'm not sure I'm very confident that UND is going to be better than any other teams next year, UNLESS the two aforementioned freshmen are really, really good.

• Upvote 1

he will be back next year and just like huff, anderson, webb, and brekke saved him a few years back his future will be dependent on the skinny legs of crandell and seales...

he will be back next year and just like huff, anderson, webb, and brekke saved him a few years back his future will be dependent on the skinny legs of crandell and seales...

If there were two players to bet on, I would take those two, with Hooker close behind.  Those guys come from winning programs and can flat out "ball:"

(may not be proper term here, but they can)

If there were two players to bet on, I would take those two, with Hooker close behind.  Those guys come from winning programs and can flat out "ball:"

(may not be proper term here, but they can)

jones won't have excuses next year with hooker, crandell, seales, shields, shanks, berenstine, and guys like tyler, de reoun, and cashman off the bench....the talent will be there next year....

With today's loss to SUU, Jones becomes the only coach in North Dakota history to lose 20 games in a season twice. The only other coach to lose 20 games in a season was Rich Glas, in his first year.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm.........that's a pretty glaring fact.

He just needs more time........to get his 3rd one.

Are you saying youd go to more basketball games if UND didnt have hockey? Sure sounds like it.

And if the answer is yes. Id imagine there would be others like you that share the same feelings. We can be in denial out or not, but theres only so many people, money, and time in the area. And theres a lot of sporting events. Which is even more impressive UND is third in attendance in the conference (even if the betty was sold out itd still be third).

If UND didn't have hockey (like NDSU), men's and women's basketball would be big-time winter attractions at UND and I probably would have season tickets.  But they aren't, so your question is not really relevant to the topic at hand.

And please don't try to talk about how expensive it is for people to go to basketball games.  Basketball is dirt cheap compared to hockey.

Bottom Line: More Winning = More Buzz = More Fans.

If UND didn't have hockey (like NDSU), men's and women's basketball would be big-time winter attractions at UND and I probably would have season tickets.  But they aren't, so your question is not really relevant to the topic at hand.

And please don't try to talk about how expensive it is for people to go to basketball games.  Basketball is dirt cheap compared to hockey.

Bottom Line: More Winning = More Buzz = More Fans.

Agree. Back when UND was D-2 power attendance was fine, even when hockey was strong. Hoops is a bargain, like $7 for gen admission and $12 I think for reserved (?), season ticket a real good bargain. Heck most week night games you can get a free ticket at the Betty front entry from other fans. the big problem is students just don't go to hoops (even with last year's senior dominated/decent team) unless there's free pizza or we're playing NDSU or some big name non-conf school (albeit, rare at home).

Student will come...again if they can see a winner and have something to get excited about. And even if they don't a team can still have success. Minimal students attended SU games at Scheels this year but that didn't seem to be an excuse for their MBB team for only posting 20 W's to date.

Student will come...again if they can see a winner and have something to get excited about. And even if they don't a team can still have success. Minimal students attended SU games at Scheels this year but that didn't seem to be an excuse for their MBB team for only posting 20 W's to date.

Agree. Back when UND was D-2 power attendance was fine, even when hockey was strong. Hoops is a bargain, like $7 for gen admission and $12 I think for reserved (?), season ticket a real good bargain. Heck most week night games you can get a free ticket at the Betty front entry from other fans. the big problem is students just don't go to hoops (even with last year's senior dominated/decent team) unless there's free pizza or we're playing NDSU or some big name non-conf school (albeit, rare at home).

Student attendance is not as bad as a problem as you think it is. Is it great? No. But it's not horrible. The student section its self doesnt fill up except for those days. But, with the Betty, the ushers let us sit in the rest of the arena, as long as we arent taking the spot of a ticket holder when they show up. And we like the regular seats more than the temp bleachers (Spoiled by the Ralph? Maybe.) so we are just spread out.

Student attendance is not as bad as a problem as you think it is. Is it great? No. But it's not horrible. The student section its self doesnt fill up except for those days. But, with the Betty, the ushers let us sit in the rest of the arena, as long as we arent taking the spot of a ticket holder when they show up. And we like the regular seats more than the temp bleachers (Spoiled by the Ralph? Maybe.) so we are just spread out.

Hey, you make a good point I hadn't thought of. Me and my buds (not students/old guys) actually do the same too since attendance is normally 1/2 at best.