SiouxSports.com Forum

Coach Jones?

darell1976

I found the question that Tom Miller answered was a bit out there....

Everyone?? Come on.  There are very few here who think Jones should be fired.  He recruits well and finishes near the top of the conference.

Changing my vote.  I think he should now be fired.

My dad played for UND and took me took a ton of games growing up.  I don't think UND has EVER been embarrassed like this.

Of all the reasons Jones should be upset tonight, and he seems most upset about a kid throwing up a twenty five footer with the shot clock expiring at the end of the game. That ought to to tell you something. I'm glad Richman said something back at him when they walked by each other after shaking the rest of the players and coaches hands. I just wish I could have heard what he said, but it wasn't friendly chit chat. 

Of all the reasons Jones should be upset tonight, and he seems most upset about a kid throwing up a twenty five footer with the shot clock expiring at the end of the game. That ought to to tell you something. I'm glad Richman said something back at him when they walked by each other after shaking the rest of the players and coaches hands. I just wish I could have heard what he said, but it wasn't friendly chit chat. 

Sounded like the equivalency of when Brew yelled at Bielema when the Badgers went for 2 up 41-16.

Yah and it wasn't that long ago that UND was the front runner - everything goes in cycles. I know this is a fan site so it's the place to rant but geez sometimes I wonder how many of you would do if you were held to the same level at your jobs.

You still think Jones should still be coaching UND?

I didn't support Mussman.

The second he finishes 4th in the league can him. Or at least you can have a valid discussion about it. But he has yet to do that.

It's simple you don't think about firing a guy that has finished top 3 in his new conference every year for a bad road OOC record.

Simple statement.

Still think he should be coaching?

Feel free to point out a single spot where I've said that I love Jones. I try using some critical thinking and looking into a situation rather than just glancing at the final score to see whether UND won or lost and basing my decision on that. There are definitely some things that make me question him but there are also a lot of other things that make me think that he deserves more time. If you had your way, the athletic department would be buried in debt from paying contract buyouts.

Does he deserve more time??

Does he deserve more time??

Yes, I completely changed my mind because of the results of one non-conference game. /kneejerk

You never disappoint, the fact that you get so much joy out of UND losing is mind boggling.  I see you bumped this right around half-time, couldn't take the time to drive across town to support UND in person or did you need to be by your computer in case UND didn't show up so you could make sure to post in this thread?  I actually attended the game and the comments Jones made post-game about effort are spot on.  I've never seen UND play like that, I was embarrassed watching the guys on the floor completely fall apart and look nothing like they have this year.  Werner having a good game tells me everything I need to know about the effort the players had last night.  It was the exact opposite of what happened in Grand Forks last year.  The visiting team had no energy and got run out of the gym.  Lot of guys playing for themselves last night and there is a reason that some bench guys got a lot more minutes than normal.

Friday against Dickinson State won't tell me anything, but the following Monday against Marquette will.

• Upvote 2

Yes, I completely changed my mind because of the results of one non-conference game. /kneejerk

You never disappoint, the fact that you get so much joy out of UND losing is mind boggling. I see you bumped this right around half-time, couldn't take the time to drive across town to support UND in person or did you need to be by your computer in case UND didn't show up so you could make sure to post in this thread? I actually attended the game and the comments Jones made post-game about effort are spot on. I've never seen UND play like that, I was embarrassed watching the guys on the floor completely fall apart and look nothing like they have this year. Werner having a good game tells me everything I need to know about the effort the players had last night. It was the exact opposite of what happened in Grand Forks last year. The visiting team had no energy and got run out of the gym. Lot of guys playing for themselves last night and there is a reason that some bench guys got a lot more minutes than normal.

Friday against Dickinson State won't tell me anything, but the following Monday against Marquette will.

First off I didn't go to the game because I am battling pneumonia. Second of all of you are happy with Jones's way of coaching last night you are in the minority. A lot of pissed off fans are now jumping, leaping, and getting away from the Jones bandwagon faster than you can type on a message board. UND wouldve gotten beaten by Crookston the way they played.

First off I didn't go to the game because I am battling pneumonia. Second of all of you are happy with Jones's way of coaching last night you are in the minority. A lot of pissed off fans are now jumping, leaping, and getting away from the Jones bandwagon faster than you can type on a message board. UND wouldve gotten beaten by Crookston the way they played.

Where did I say I was happy?  I witnessed it in person. The whole team was garbage last night.  No effort whatsoever.  Jones flat out said the team didn't follow the scouting report at all.  Because of that, I saw him try multiple different rotations, starters benched and end-of-bench guys playing significant minutes.  None of it worked, no one showed up last night.  I know this team is better than that because I've seen it.  Hoping that it was a one game flop.  If they don't learn from it, its going to be a longer season than anticipated.  

All the NDSU fans were overreacting and wanting to fire Phillips after UND absolutely boatraced them last year.  I don't see UND having the talent to make a run like NDSU did last year, but its a perfect example why fans don't make decisions.  But I guess it must make some people feel better.

And again, beating your chest loudly on a message board doesn't make a difference.  If you really want Jones fired, voice your opinion to the athletic department and Faison and put your name to it.  Come up with an actual solution on how UND is going to pay for the buyouts plus the increase in the coach's contract along with the increased salary pool that a new coach will demand.  Going to go out on a limb and guess that you haven't done any of that.

Where did I say I was happy? I witnessed it in person. The whole team was garbage last night. No effort whatsoever. Jones flat out said the team didn't follow the scouting report at all. Because of that, I saw him try multiple different rotations, starters benched and end-of-bench guys playing significant minutes. None of it worked, no one showed up last night. I know this team is better than that because I've seen it. Hoping that it was a one game flop. If they don't learn from it, its going to be a longer season than anticipated.

All the NDSU fans were overreacting and wanting to fire Phillips after UND absolutely boatraced them last year. I don't see UND having the talent to make a run like NDSU did last year, but its a perfect example why fans don't make decisions. But I guess it must make some people feel better.

And again, beating your chest loudly on a message board doesn't make a difference. If you really want Jones fired, voice your opinion to the athletic department and Faison and put your name to it. Come up with an actual solution on how UND is going to pay for the buyouts plus the increase in the coach's contract along with the increased salary pool that a new coach will demand. Going to go out on a limb and guess that you haven't done any of that.

For the record no matter how you like to spin my words around I am never happy UND loses..period!! Since I am not a big donor, or an alumn, I am just a fan I doubt Faison would give a rats ass what I have to say. I donate to UND athletics by buying merchandise and game tickets. I can excuse giving Jones a shot his first year in the Big Sky just like Muss hoping with better talent UND will excel but this being another average year or below average and getting beat in OOC games is getting old. You mentioned Saul Phillips, look what Saul did compared to Jones and you think Phillips should've been canned after one game with UND? How many wins against big named schools does Jones have? It's hard to name them with the whole six road OOC wins in his career. I would take Saul over Jones even if NDSU didn't go to the dance last season. I am glad others are seeing my point of view while you are hoping and praying for a miracle.

For the record no matter how you like to spin my words around I am never happy UND loses..period!! Since I am not a big donor, or an alumn, I am just a fan I doubt Faison would give a rats ass what I have to say. I donate to UND athletics by buying merchandise and game tickets. I can excuse giving Jones a shot his first year in the Big Sky just like Muss hoping with better talent UND will excel but this being another average year or below average and getting beat in OOC games is getting old. You mentioned Saul Phillips, look what Saul did compared to Jones and you think Phillips should've been canned after one game with UND? How many wins against big named schools does Jones have? It's hard to name them with the whole six road OOC wins in his career. I would take Saul over Jones even if NDSU didn't go to the dance last season. I am glad others are seeing my point of view while you are hoping and praying for a miracle.

I would disagree. I think you would like nothing more than to see an epic failure with the consequence being firing of Jones. I think it would make your day. Irrespective of the fact that it would be an awful disruption in people's lives. Coaches, players, etc. As others have stated, your rants are knee jerk and careless. A complete disregard of the challenges this program has faced AND a disregard of the progress the program has seen the last few years. Couldn't be more obvious in my opinion. Hope you are feeling better.

• Upvote 3

I added this thread so it doesn't clog up game threads. So put in your two cents, your frustration on the HC whose team was picked towards the top of the BSC and is now 2-3 in conference play but more importantly....NO ROAD WINS!! If you can't win on the road you are not going to win the conference. We have seen this in the past where our team can't win on the road, this isn't the GWC we are in we are in the Big Sky, where competition is greater. I am going to say this....if UND doesn't make the dance....Fire Jones!

By the way. We went 12-7 the rest of the way when you started this thread. With a bunch of players no one else wanted I might add.

Still think he should be coaching?

Here was my reply last night.

Games like these make a guy change his tune about Coach Jones. 

But last year NDSU got blown out by UND and went on to win a March Madness game. 

So what's a person suppose to think.

If a coach was gonna get fired after every bad game. Every coach would be fired. 

I'm not a proponent of Jones, but i'm not an opponent of Jones either. See where the season shakes out and go from there. 

He still hasn't finished below 3rd in the Big Sky conference yet.

Last night was a definite head scratcher. That was as poor of a performance as I have ever seen for a UND men's team. I still think this team has a lot of promise. I hope last night was just one of those nights. I hope!!!! I have a feeling Bison fans were saying the same thing last year when UND squashed NDSU. All I know is, I don't ever want us to play that badly again. Jones had better start getting better performances from his team than that.

Here was my reply last night.

If a coach was gonna get fired after every bad game. Every coach would be fired.

I'm not a proponent of Jones, but i'm not an opponent of Jones either. See where the season shakes out and go from there.

He still hasn't finished below 3rd in the Big Sky conference yet.

If after this loss UND pulls an NDSU and runs the table and gets in the dance (beating Oklahoma would be a bonus) I would admit I was wrong about Jones. I do want UND to win regardless who is coaching. I don't sit secretly by praying to God for UND to blow it. I wouldn't be a fan if I did that.

If after this loss UND pulls an NDSU and runs the table and gets in the dance (beating Oklahoma would be a bonus) I would admit I was wrong about Jones. I do want UND to win regardless who is coaching. I don't sit secretly by praying to God for UND to blow it. I wouldn't be a fan if I did that.

Understood. 

But when I wrote that last night I didn't want to imply UND could make march madness and win a game. I don't see that happening. It was just to point out crazy things happen in sports and one game usually doesn't mean much (until tournament time at least).

I see UND probably finishing 4th or lower in the Big Sky this year. Then by all means we can have the discussion, but until then enjoy the journey. 

Agreed. But wasn't the "company line" around here last March that UND had the better season than NDSU based on that early-season victory over the Bison? If that's truly how folks felt back then, this is a disaster of epic proportions for UND this season.

I'm on your side on this one, darell.  The line last season was that UND was more successful than NDSU based on beating the Bison head-to-head.  Nevermind that NDSU gained national exposure by making the NCAA tournament AND beating a very good Oklahoma team.  On national TV.  Again. 

Flash-forward nine months and now some folks are poo-poo'ing this loss to NDSU because they want to wait and see how the rest of the season turns out.  No doubt at all in my mind that if UND wins the Big Sky and wins a game in the NCAA tournament, the same folks who last year claimed UND had the better season would immediately have a case of amnesia and think UND basketball is far superior to NDSU based on the overall 2014-2015 season.  Problem is...they can't have it both ways.   

I think you are over-reacting to postings on a UND fan site. Of course fans want to get all the mileage they can out of a victory over their in-state rival and twist the knife as much as you can. No doubt FU had a season of epic proportions last year with the only blight being the loss to their in-state rival. Of course last year their line was that game meant nothing to them - let's see if that still holds true this year. 

It was a bad game for UND - they're young adults playing a game - it's fun to win, it sucks to lose. That's all. 

If fans are happy with UND being a top 3 team in the BS most years, Jones is your guy. If you ever want to beat a big time D1 team on the road or win the BS tournament thus making the big dance, a change needs to be made.

• Upvote 2

As recently as last week, I was in favor of giving Jones the benefit of the doubt.  Over the last couple of years I have been reading message boards about what other fans thought about UND.  The general consensus being good/great players with poor to bad coaching.  I looked past that as possibly just "no nothing fans".  After last night's debacle, I must say I agree.  No, I didn't see the game, just followed it via the internet.  When I read a tweet from a Herald sportswriter saying he saw the worst half of basketball he had ever seen, that's saying something.  How do you not have your team ready to play this game?  How do you not make adjustments during the game?  How are you behind by 24 points at halftime to a team that almost lost to Crookston?  Trailed by as many as 37 points???  How does that happen?

I have been to Fargo many times to watch UND play, sometimes with success and sometimes not, even when UND had the better team.  Never have I seen something like this.

A change needs to made.  Are you reading these comments Mr. Faison?  Fans (well me anyway) who would otherwise be supporting Jones have reached the tipping point.

• Upvote 1