SiouxSports.com Forum

UND Baseball

northernraider

1 hour ago, northernraider said:

Today is opening day for college baseball which for the first time since 1901 will not include UND.  No doubt it was expensive due to large rosters and frequent travel. However, if powers at be knew that UND would eventually would be in the Summit League would it have been saved? 

If the Summit league had allowed UND to join as an affiliate member 4-5 years ago, story might have been different.

• Upvote 2

• 2 months later...

Nice write-up.

http://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/4266904-what-could-have-been

No surprise these guys are having impact.  Personally, I think that UND was able to recruit quality and character guys because only character guys would commit to coming to the frozen tundra of Grand Forks with its long road trips, late spring, and short home season.  The deck for success at D1 is stacked against northern teams; Indiana's 2013 CWS appearance was the first for the B1G since 1984.  For the northernmost teams, fuhgeddaboutit.

Playing at UND meant love of the game and love for the school.  Still sad to drive by Kraft on a sunny, spring day, but the U is marching on.  I'd love to have seen the Hawk on an official baseball cap or jersey, though.  I'd have bought one on the spot.

3 hours ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

Nice write-up.

No surprise these guys are having impact.  Personally, I think that UND was able to recruit quality and character guys because only character guys would commit to coming to the frozen tundra of Grand Forks with its long road trips, late spring, and short home season.  The deck for success at D1 is stacked against northern teams; Indiana's 2013 CWS appearance was the first for the B1G since 1984.  For the northernmost teams, fuhgeddaboutit.

Playing at UND meant love of the game and love for the school.  Still sad to drive by Kraft on a sunny, spring day, but the U is marching on.  I'd love to have seen the Hawk on an official baseball cap or jersey, though.  I'd have bought one on the spot.

The Wallner kid at Southern Miss has a legit chance to be the national freshman of the year. Was real disappointed when he chose Southern Miss over Minnesota after UND dropped the program although there wasn't a whole lot of scholarship money left at Minnesota which probably played a role.

• Upvote 1

On 5/14/2017 at 7:20 AM, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

Nice write-up.

With access to the Metrodome, UMn should've been better during that timeframe. 

22 hours ago, SiouxScore said:

The Wallner kid at Southern Miss has a legit chance to be the national freshman of the year. Was real disappointed when he chose Southern Miss over Minnesota after UND dropped the program although there wasn't a whole lot of scholarship money left at Minnesota which probably played a role.

Wallner is on track to be a first round pick in the 2019 MLB draft...just crazy.

• 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Find it quite ironic that UND doesn't have men's team sport for Spring season. Will Summit Conference put any pressure on UND to bring back baseball especially when conference has minimum number of baseball schools. Also the cost for baseball should be reduced significantly with conference partners within driving distance of each other. 

7 hours ago, ND-fan said:

Find it quite ironic that UND doesn't have men's team sport for Spring season. Will Summit Conference put any pressure on UND to bring back baseball especially when conference has minimum number of baseball schools. Also the cost for baseball should be reduced significantly with conference partners within driving distance of each other. 

In order to do that they would have to add/bring back a women’s sport or cut another men’s sport for Title IX.  I don’t see UND bringing back baseball anytime soon.

Don't you think that if the Summit really wanted UND to bring back baseball they would have made it a requirement for UND to enter the league?

They will solve that issue by adding a team (when, TBD)

On an unrelated note, is Men's Golf going to make it past this year?

• 5 years later...

7 years after the program was cut.....UND has its first MLB player:

If the program would have been around one more year, he Muckenhirn would have likely been second behind Matt Wallner who made his major league debut last season. He was originally committed to UND before the program was cut.

• Upvote 1

• 3 months later...