SiouxSports.com Forum

Regional Tickets

franchise

1 hour ago, siouxstudent said:

Canada? not happenin

Need to think outside the box a bit.  It would be a great marketing opportunity for NCAA hockey.  Better than just a single game exhibition match.  It would feature some of the best 16 teams in college hockey.  I know it is a tremendous stretch for the NCAA to consider it, but it would be a bigger arena, draw a good UND crowd, plus draw some Canadian fans and players to watch.  And, it should earn the NCAA more money.

24 minutes ago, Siouxman said:

Need to think outside the box a bit.  It would be a great marketing opportunity for NCAA hockey.  Better than just a single game exhibition match.  It would feature some of the best 16 teams in college hockey.  I know it is a tremendous stretch for the NCAA to consider it, but it would be a bigger arena, draw a good UND crowd, plus draw some Canadian fans and players to watch.  And, it should earn the NCAA more money.

Put it in Vancouver and count us in.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Siouxman said:

Not to mention the fact that the NC-eh-eh jokes just write themselves.

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, RedFrog said:

Ended up with 4 ticket packages in section PLAT2 row WC ... is that section 2 in the upper level?

My guess is that is the second handicap accessible section since you got a wheelchair row.  If you are referring to the "2" in the upper ring, those are all suites (1-40).  

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, AJS said:

When it comes to UND bidding on a regional, I would prefer Fargo over Sioux Falls every time. Makes for a much tougher ticket, but gives them a better home ice advantage.  

5000 mostly UND fans compared to 10000 mostly UND fans.  How is a bigger crowd less of a home ice advantage?  

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

5000 mostly UND fans compared to 10000 mostly UND fans.  How is a bigger crowd less of a home ice advantage?  

I think you are strongly overestimating the amount of UND fans that would show up in Sioux Falls for the regional. This is based on every Regional that has ever been in St. Paul (same distance) that UND has been in (Sioux / Gophers could barely sell out the lower bowl and that was to go to the Frozen Four). The attendance isn't great and that's in one of the largest alumni centers for UND. Regionals being in-between the Frozen Faceoff and Frozen Four (which are well attended) hurt attendance.

I'd say more 5000 UND fans (100% capacity) compared to 5 / 6K fans (maybe 70% capacity w/ opposing fans).

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

The difference with the St Paul regionals from the past and one that would be played in Sioux Falls is we weren't the host in those regionals.  So we didn't know that UND would be playing their until a couple days before.  If we are the host school at Sioux Falls, we are guaranteed to play there if we make the tournament.  That is a huge difference.  Planning months in advance would definitely get more people there than planning to go days in advance.

When the time comes there won't be close to 10K UND fans at the Sioux Falls regional if they are the host school. I guess we'll have to wait a few years and see.

17 minutes ago, AJS said:

When the time comes there won't be close to 10K UND fans at the Sioux Falls regional if they are the host school. I guess we'll have to wait a few years and see.

If 8k fly to NY for 1 game, why is it that far fetched to see 10k drive to Sioux Falls for a Regional?

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, franchise said:

If 8k fly to NY for 1 game, why is it that far fetched to see 10k drive to Sioux Falls for a Regional?

NYC is a destination, Sioux Falls is Sioux Falls. I'm going to concede this discussion since we won't know until it happens. My original statement was I preferred Fargo over Sioux Falls, because I thought it offered a better home ice advantage. I think financially, it's tough for a lot of people to make 3 possible trips in a row work. The Frozen Faceoff is well attended by UND fans, then a lot would attend the Frozen Four if UND makes it. The regional works well in Fargo, since it's a non-hotel trip for most who will attend.

I could be wrong and 10K show up, I'm just not as optimistic as others and would put it at 5K.

4 minutes ago, AJS said:

NYC is a destination, Sioux Falls is Sioux Falls. I'm going to concede this discussion since we won't know until it happens. My original statement was I preferred Fargo over Sioux Falls, because I thought it offered a better home ice advantage. I think financially, it's tough for a lot of people to make 3 possible trips in a row work. The Frozen Faceoff is well attended by UND fans, then a lot would attend the Frozen Four if UND makes it. The regional works well in Fargo, since it's a non-hotel trip for most who will attend.

I could be wrong and 10K show up, I'm just not as optimistic as others and would put it at 5K.

Oh you mean those people who have high level Champions Club contributions, season tickets to every UND season for the past 15 years, spend hundreds at the Sioux shop while at home games, and fly to Tampa and NYC for games?  Those fans?!! ;)

• Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, franchise said:

With a trip to the Frozen Four on the line, no less.

How many fans went to Omaha for the outdoor series? Probably 8-10k? And that's another 4 hours past Sioux Falls.

• Upvote 2

You can't beat the atmosphere of Fargo when 5,000 of UNDs most rabid fans are crammed into that building. It's one heck of a home ice advantage. Place was constantly rocking probably more than I've ever seen. I think you naturally lose some of that when it's 10,000 people in a bigger building as people in the upper bowls feel more disconnected from the action.

My $0.02.  I would prefer 10k seats at Sioux Falls over 5k seats in Fargo.  Too many UND fans miss out on the regional with only 5k available.  With that said, I would not be in favor of bidding a regional in the TC.  Gophers don't need another home ice advantage they already have when hosting a regional at the Xcel.

• Upvote 2

Not a real apples to apples comparison comparing an outdoor game or one at MSG. Those are pretty special "one-off" type games. The Winnipeg game only drew 7,000 and that is a smaller commitment of time and money than the other two.

I don't think the demand for Sioux Falls would be as strong as it is be for Fargo because it is closer for a huge portion of the fan base and doesn't require the time commitment or dollars to attend. Minneapolis/St. Paul is a huge alumni base for UND but the crowds for regionals there always seem to be lacking (even if it is only a week's notice). That's not saying it wouldn't be better attended than most regionals but I don't think it would sell-out. Fargo was a slam-dunk for me because it is easy. Not as certain I'd go to Sioux Falls.

Other than more UND fans getting a chance to go, what benefits would Sioux Falls have over Fargo? The atmosphere wouldn't be any better. The team would spend more time away from home/normal routines. Did they even stay in Fargo two years ago or did they drive home and sleep in their own beds? It doesn't bother the FargoU fans as much (which is just an added side bonus).

As for getting tickets for Fargo, if you were above #400 in the Champions Club, you had the exact same chance of getting tickets as everyone else above, whether you give $1,000+ or $100/year.

56 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Not a real apples to apples comparison comparing an outdoor game or one at MSG. Those are pretty special "one-off" type games. The Winnipeg game only drew 7,000 and that is a smaller commitment of time and money than the other two.

"Only 7k"...vs Clarkson.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, jdub27 said:

Winnipeg is a different situation, it is another country.  To get a large crowd of local UND fans across the border would need enough lead time for many to apply for passports.  I am involved in many things locally and am surprised how many do not have passports or any desire to get them.  Besides a Minnesota game, not sure of another opponent that would entice these folks to get a passport on top of the other logistical requirements of going to a game in Winnipeg.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, franchise said:

"Only 7k"...vs Clarkson.

47 minutes ago, Air Force One said:

Winnipeg is a different situation, it is another country.  To get a large crowd of local UND fans across the border would need enough lead time for many to apply for passports.  I am involved in many things locally and am surprised how many do not have passports or any desire to get them.  Besides a Minnesota game, not sure of another opponent that would entice these folks to get a passport on top of the other logistical requirements of going to a game in Winnipeg.

The date of the Winnipeg game was announced a year ahead of time (though the opponent changed), so there was more than enough lead time to get a passport. The schedule with the actual opponent was announced 5-6 months ahead of time, so even then, there was more than enough time. My point was that a destination game, played in an NHL arena, 3-4 hours from the main part of UND's fan base barely drew 7,000 and that number actually includes a fair amount of fans that weren't necessarily supporters of either team because Canadians love hockey (unlike MSG which appeared to have very few neutral observers).

But your point about passports is what I was alluding to, obstacles lessen demand. For Winnipeg, it was a passport. For Sioux Falls vs. Fargo it is having to commit a whole weekend (including travel/lodging/etc) instead of a just an afternoon or evening for people. I'm sure it would still be successful and probably the best attended regional. I just doubt you'd sell out the place because the overall demand would be lower than Fargo is due to proximity and convenience. And again, other than being able to offer more tickets (which UND gets little to none of the proceeds), are there any other advantages for UND to hosting in Sioux Falls vs. Fargo?

• Upvote 2