SiouxSports.com Forum

2017 Season

F'n Hawks

7 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

With a slow start and losing the first two games this year, and dropping out of the polls for a while.......I think we were maybe focusing on trying to get style points more than we should have.  With most of the OL returning, hoping that start is much better out of the gate next year. 

I am thinking the same thing because we started the year with an all new line minus Stockwell...that took some time to develop and should be a more polished group to start next season.

Here is my first quick assessment of non-conference play for next season. Would like to head into conference play 3-0 next season with an FBS win, but 2-1 would still be really solid. Another 1-2 start would be detrimental to our season, and while we overcame it this season, I’m not going to bank on us going back to back undefeated conference season. Of course it is possible, but it would be best for the team to avoid putting themselves in that kind of position.

@ Utah (8-4) *Heading into the Foster Farms bowl against Indiana

I don't know a lot about Utah, but they appear to be a team that plays a lot of close games. Looking over their schedule from last season they seem to play quite a few close games. They do return their QB, who will be a senior for the Utes, but lose 3 of their 4 top receiving threats. Williams appears to be a threat on the ground, as well as through the air, so hopefully UND can keep him in check. Utah does lose their top RB, but has a few young guys, who will likely split time. Sophomore Armand Shyne had 78 attempts for 392 yards and 4 TDs, while Freshman Zack Moss had 78 attempts for 384 yards and 2 TDs.

The Utah defense has 17 interceptions in 2016 (prior to their bowl game), but appear to be similar to UND in that they give up yards, but capitalize on turnovers. Their pass defense is ranked 8 of 12 in the PAC 12 (256 yards per game), while their rush defense is second in the PAC 12 (129 yards per game) behind Washington. Their special teams appears to be a strength, which is something UND will need to strengthen, as we have witnessed this past weekend. Utah also had the most sacks in the PAC 12 with 40 this past season, so our O-Line will need to come up big to start the season, and Keaton will need to be ready to move. Winning the turnover battle and TOP would be big in this one. Utah will be much tougher the Bowling Green was this year, but when UND brings their A game, they can compete with anyone. It all comes down to which UND team shows up.

Key Returners

JR. Troy Williams (QB): 196/367 for 2579 yards. 7 Interceptions/15 Touchdowns. 102 Rush Attempts for 393 Yards and 5 Touchdowns.

SO. Raelon Singelton (WR): 26 Receptions for 454 yards. 4 Touchdowns

JR. Marcus Williams (DB): 4 Interceptions, 59 Tackles (42 Solo, 17 Assist), 2 Forced Fumbles, 2 Fumble Recoveries.

SO. Chase Hansen (DB): 3 Interceptions, 86 Tackles (50 Solo, 38 Assist), 3 Forced Fumbles, 3 Fumble Recoveries.

Key Departures

SR. Tim Patrick (WR): 43 Receptions for 684 Yards. 5 Touchdowns.

SR. Cory Butler-Byrd (WR): 29 Receptions for 372 Yards. 0 Touchdowns.

SR Evan Moeai (TE): 22 Receptions for 308 Yards. 2 Touchdowns.

SR Joe Williams (RB): 184 Attempts for 1213 Yards. 9 Touchdowns.

SR Brian Allen (DB): 4 Interceptions

• Play to Win, Stay Competitive, Stay Healthy

Missouri State (4-7) Last place in the MVFC

Missouri State started their season much stronger this year, but dwindled as the year went on. They do lose senior QB Brodie Lambert, but return their top 3 pass catching threats; as well as their top two running backs. It is worth noting that Breck Ruddick was the backup this season and did see some playing time going 34 of 52 for 424 yards and 4 TDs with 1 INT. Biggest loss for Missouri State is stud LB Dylan Cole, but outside of him and the QB position, they appear to retain quite a few pieces. There is not much to get excited about with team in any statistical category, as they rank near the bottom of the MVFC in just about everything. This is a game UND should win, and should win with some style points; BUT if UND starts the season slow like in 2015 then all bets are off and this could be a nailbiter. That being said, we retain a lot of talent, and host this in the Alerus (Let’s get a little revenge for the beating we took a few years ago). Limit the mental mistakes and penalties, and this could get ugly J

Key Returners:

JR Malik Earl (WR): 41 Receptions for 534 Yards. 3 Touchdowns.

JR Deion Holliman (WR) 30 Receptions for 246 Yards. 3 Touchdowns.

JR Erik Furmanek (TE) 27 Receptions for 245 Yards. 5 Touchdowns.

SO Jason Randall (RB): 121 Attempts for 491 Yards. 2 Touchdowns.

JR Calan Crowder (RB): 76 Attempts for 370 Yards. 4 Touchdowns.

JR Colby Isbell (DE): 6.5 Sacks, with another 6 QB hurries. 1 Forced Fumble.

Key Departures.

SR Brodie Lambert (QB): 147/262 for 1691 Yards. 14 Interceptions/18 Touchdowns. 69 Rush Attempts for 263 Yards.

SR Dylan Cole (LB): 142 Tackles (85 Solo, 57 Assist). 8 TFL. 2 Interceptions 3 Forced Fumbles. STUD.

@ South Dakota (4-7) 7th place in the MVFC

This one makes me a little nervous, because it is a game we need to win, but could certainly be close, as these games usually are. We are on the road. AND The Yotes players will certainly remember what happened in GF in 2016. Streveler is a machine and is what gets this offense going. USD returns several younger receivers, all of which had nice contributions in 2016. Streveler seems to spread the ball out quite a bit, but is huge with taking off and running. Unfortunately, this could be another shoot out kind of a game, unless UND can control Streveler. USD showed how potent their offense could be, but ranked last in the MVFC in total defense. No need to elaborate too much on this team; we saw them this season, we know what they are capable of, and we know just how important this game is to our final record next season. Safe to say that USD is more talented than their 2016 record showed, and we have to play them on the road. This would be a very important win before heading into conference play.

Key Returners:

JR Chris Streveler (QB): 164 of 273 for 1947 Yards and 22 TDs. 9 Interceptions. 161 Rush Attempts for 950 yards and 9 Touchdowns.

Trystn Ducker (WR): 26 Receptions for 274 Yards and 1 TD

T. Carpenter (WR): 24 Receptions for 380 Yards and 5 TDs

Randy Baker (WR): 24 Receptions for 142 Yards

Alonge Brooks (WR): 22 Receptions for 384 Yards and 5 TDs

Key Departures:

SR Trevor Bouma (RB): 190 Attempts for 708 Yards and 4 Touchdowns.

SR Jet Moreland (LB): 106 Tackles (60 solo, 46 assist), 1 Forced Fumble

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

No. Just, ... no. 
I want some games to be flat out gimmes. 

It allows sitting starters (to protect from injury) and getting the second and third team reps for the future. 

If they can get to be that solid, great.  Awesome!

But for now, I certainly enjoy watching these up and down, hard fought games. (That's just me)

Just now, Ozzie82 said:

I recommend that everyone let it go regarding Grady.  We've moved on and so has he.

No way, we'll be asking about when the Grady Train is coming back to the station for at least the next 15 years.

I hear he has been working out like crazy and will be back strong and faster ;)

• Upvote 2

On 12/4/2016 at 9:22 PM, shep said:

Plus we have a potential playmaker on the bench.

Gordon looked good in the times he was in.

I wouldn't mind having Santiago in the slot and used like we did with dressler.  He could be our Jet Sweep guy and could even take that Jet Sweep between the tackles with his abilities.   plus this will give us some speed in the receiver position along with Clive we would be pretty dangerous. We would be more than adequate at running back with olivera, nevermann  and Gordon.   I think if Santiago really excelled in the slot position, he might have a future in the pros. Not so sure you could say that about him playing running back.

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Sioux94 said:

I'd agree with that.  Hopefully he can improve on that for next year.  Thought he might have improved on it this year from the prior year....but sure didn't seem like it....was typically locked in on one guy.

I think a bigger issue is over the last two games our opponents receivers were able to catch balls in traffic, our receivers weren't. They are young and will improve on that.   they will have to, because with their speed they are going to be iN a lot of situations where the passes are contested

2 hours ago, Sioux95 said:

I wouldn't mind having Santiago in the slot and used like we did with dressler.  He could be our Jet Sweep guy and could even take that Jet Sweep between the tackles with his abilities.   plus this will give us some speed in the receiver position along with Clive we would be pretty dangerous. We would be more than adequate at running back with olivera, nevermann  and Gordon.   I think if Santiago really excelled in the slot position, he might have a future in the pros. Not so sure you could say that about him playing running back.

I think of him as a Percy Harvin type of player. For awhile, Harvin was really good.

2 hours ago, Sioux95 said:

That does sound pretty good!  Clive out wide....Santiago in the slot....Oliveira in the backfield.....one of the Tall WR's on the other side.  Cloyd at TE if they start using him and gets rolling.  Who do you focus on defending?  Could make for an extremely versatile offense......they couldn't just stack the box and play the run all day long, well they could but that should leave things wide open for big plays through the air.  Santiago had such a big year at RB his first year I think that has kept them from putting him out wide more.  He seems like a team player, and I think you are right.......if he started lighting it up out of the slot he's likely got a better chance at that type of position at the next level than RB.

14 hours ago, RD17 said:

I think you are significantly overvaluing some of these teams.

SUU will be under .500 next year. They lose their only productive players at running back and receiver and they were also hit hard by graduation on a defense that allowed 455 yards per game. UND beat them by 22 this year and will pound them next year. Warren is going to take this program on a downward trend.

EWU loses five first team all-conference players, including those three star receivers. They can't run the ball or stop the run so unless they have three more receivers that are All-America caliber they will fall off next year. Baldwin is also the front runner to get the Nevada job so they are likely to have a new coach as well.

It is tough to win in Missoula but Stitt has them going in the wrong direction. Soft football team that plays a soft style.

When was the last time EWU fell off after graduation losses? They didn't after losing Bo Levi Mitchell, Taiwan Jones, Vernon Adams.  Hoping that program will drop off seems more wishful thinking to me.

• Upvote 3

55 minutes ago, Matt said:

When was the last time EWU fell off after graduation losses? They didn't after losing Bo Levi Mitchell, Taiwan Jones, Vernon Adams.  Hoping that program will drop off seems more wishful thinking to me.

Having a new head coach along with perhaps a new coaching staff may affect them more than anything. Also, speaking towards the game in 2017, that is at home in the Alerus Center which helps UND's chances a lot. 

7 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Having a new head coach along with perhaps a new coaching staff may affect them more than anything. Also, speaking towards the game in 2017, that is at home in the Alerus Center which helps UND's chances a lot. 

Don't misunderstand, it's not like they're unbeatable, but their track record as a program tells me they don't drop off much from year to year despite graduation losses.

8 hours ago, Matt said:

They were 6-5 last year.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Matt said:

Don't misunderstand, it's not like they're unbeatable, but their track record as a program tells me they don't drop off much from year to year despite graduation losses.

We need to develop a mentality that when teams come to the Alerus Center, we win and they lose, no matter how good they are.

• Upvote 1

https://millersports.areavoices.com/2016/12/07/und-football-turns-the-page-to-2017/

"Schweigert said the main areas of improvement he wants to see this offseason are at quarterback, offensive line and defensive back".

No doubt, these were 3 of the main areas that held back UND from being a good to a very good / great team.

• QB - I think a JUCO backup QB should be the #1 priority this offseason. A guy that can play next year if needed, but can be sold on him being the guy the year following. Studsrud was inconsistent this year, but I think improved OL play will help Studsrud as much as it'll help the RB's
  • OL - Went from very bad the first 4 games, to average. Starting the season with 4 new starters and really only a couple with experience, was tough. They improved a lot over the year. With 4 starters returning (plus 2 more that started), this group should really improve and should go from average to Good next year (Possibly Very Good, if Freshman really make a push for playing time)
  • DB - Agree they need to work on the big play. Arnell returning would be big. I really like the secondary, who returns everyone. Holm / Hunt are extremely talented and I thought played well for Freshman this year.

One thing I love about Bubba is how he just seems to get it, when it comes to pointing out the obvious and breaking down what they need to work on. I bring this up, because for years I've been frustrated with the way you can never really get any information out of the hockey coaches. Their power play is always embarrassing and you don't hear a word about it. We all notice something that needs to be worked on and Bubba brings it up, it's just really refreshing.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

5 minutes ago, LkvlleUNDFan said:

I didn't book my plane tickets to Salt Lake City this far out just to see UND "hang with Utah." I'm excited for 2017 and what this team can become. Who wants to join me at Rice-Eccles next September to cheer on a Hawks win?

richard-greene-university-of-utah-rice-e

I will be there and am already excited!

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, LkvlleUNDFan said:

I didn't book my plane tickets to Salt Lake City this far out just to see UND "hang with Utah." I'm excited for 2017 and what this team can become. Who wants to join me at Rice-Eccles next September to cheer on a Hawks win?

richard-greene-university-of-utah-rice-e

That really sounds like fun.  We are planning on the Southern Utah game on Nov 4.  Fly to Vegas and drive the 2 hours or so to Cedar City.

• Upvote 1

Wouldn't be surprised if Utah and Washington try to trade away our games, as they could use more FBS games for SOS.  Granted, Washington got into the CFP this year, but playing an FCS game is a risk and isnt looked highly upon by the committee unless you are a Bama.

The Oregon-NDSU game is probably safe now as Oregon has dropped off the radar.