SiouxSports.com Forum

2017 Season

F'n Hawks

17 minutes ago, northdakota18 said:

Looking at next years schedule, initial gut feeling is that the Eastern Washington game will be for the sole right to the big sky championship. Feel like the team as a whole will take another step forward as they have every year with Bubba, and start putting some teams away rather than nearly every game coming down to the wire. Yesterday sucked but remember that in our 3 losses we lost by a combined 8 points.. Mussman's last season we went 3-8 and lost by a combined 174 points (over 3 TD's per loss) - really puts into perspective how far we've come.

The future is bright

This. (Captain obvious statement coming up) Each year a player will progress, get stronger in the offseason, get more comfortable with different situations and the game slows down for them. Offensively this team had 1/2 of the core groups (OL, WR) that were basically seeing the field for the first time. With injuries, depth was spread very at times, this caused close games and inconsistency at time. All those players return (except Coe) with a year under their belts. They'll start next year with not only experience at every offensive position, but depth.

This years team was good, next years team will be really good with the chance to be great (i.e. healthy Georges). They will be a team that should beat the average / above average teams by a couple TDs. Talent wise, they'll be Top 5 in the country.   

12 minutes ago, iSpider said:

I was impressed with your team yesterday despite the loss. We were very fortunate to beat you in a game that could very easily have had a different result.

You are a very good team, but you should be even better next year and in the years following. I am impressed by your running backs and your overall team speed, especially with respect to your defensive linemen and safeties.  You have two great running backs and your quarterback will mature and become more consistent with his passing which hurt you a bit in some critical situations. 

Greater depth is very important and that will improve as well. This is Rocco's 5th year at UR and it is the first year in which he has been able to develop the quality depth needed to compete with the loss of many starters. But depth is  more important than most people can imagine in that it not only allows you to adequately replace lost starters but to maintain a high energy level and avoid fatigue during the game. Your defense is excellent against the run, but it appeared to me that they wore out in the 4th quarter. Depth in that area with more game time substitution will fix that for sure. I see you soon becoming competitive with NDSU who, like it or lot, has been the best team in FCS for the last five years.  

Your coaches and players showed a lot of class both on the field and also in their post-game interviews. Both teams showed mutual respect during the game and played with a lot of emotion, two talented teams with a lot of class and character.  Your players believe in your coach who seems to be a man of quality and as well as coaching knowledge and talent.     I understand your disappointment with the loss, but in your future there will be several more victories of more importance than losses such as this. 

So good luck to you guys. You have a lot to look forward to in not only the success of your football program but also in the growth and enthusiasm of your fans as you work toward a greater success in the playoffs. 

Thank you for the kind remarks. Depth is our main issue and we will need to keep recruiting talented guys to build it.

Also nice to have a game without a boatload of penalties. You don't have a cheap team and I like that.

16 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

The combined losses of JIS and Carter at CB and Georges at WR did us in at the end.... 

Which carter ? i think they both are still on the team . C. Carter had the better camp but bubba saw something good in the other cb. Hopefully carter will take the next step that bubba is looking for. I still trust bubba!

1 hour ago, the cornerback teacher said:

Which carter ? i think they both are still on the team . C. Carter had the better camp but bubba saw something good in the other cb. Hopefully carter will take the next step that bubba is looking for. I still trust bubba!

He's talking about Tyus going down for the season early

1 hour ago, the cornerback teacher said:

Tyus is who I was referring to since he was a starter. I've been curious with the absence of C Carter. I don't care who steps up opposite Harris, somebody has to.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Tyus is who I was referring to since he was a starter. I've been curious with the absence of C Carter. I don't care who steps up opposite Harris, somebody has to.

Somebody needs to step up! The corners need to get stronger we can't have them being strong armed for the ball or drug down the field. But they all have got better each year which is good.

The only concern I see is the fact that the games these guys won occurred in spectacular fashion. The SD 2 OT game was the first and capped off by the NAU game. Hard for any team to win those big comebacks year after year. Thus I hope the other commenters are right that there should be more lopsided games next year.

Still stinging from this loss, but that definitely doesn't take away my excitement for the future of this program.   Next years team should be their best in the d1 era.  Bring back a lot of talent and many 3 and 4 year starters.  

4 year starters: (5)

DE- dranka   CB- Deion  S- cole QB-Keaton   K- taub   

3 year starters:(6) 

DE-drew  NG- tank  ILB- Connor 

RB- john   WR- Stanley  OT- stockwell.  

Und looses coe and Luke on offense and Noah, Bakker, Jawon, labat and Carrothers on D and Alex on special teams.  8 of the 56 two-deep are seniors  

Next years senior class is massive in numbers, talent and experience.    Three of the four captains currently are juniors. The to-be senior leadership is incredible and will be of great value. 

The big needs for next year:

qb- drop down or juco for back up 

wr- speedsters speedsters 

ILB- depth   

Returning players with the talent for all conference or all American: 

Cole, Santiago, Tank, Brady, Donnell,Taubs, Deion, Dranka and possibly  Demon, Stockwell, Drew, Connor, Disterhaupt, Dussold.  Great talent coming back  

Returning injured players that will make an impact:  cox, tyus, oscar and hopefully Clive   

Not sure on all the current true freshman that are red shirting but from witnessing the spring and fall ball: 

finke- (fb) looked really athletic and plays with an edge. Love the way he competes 

Randolph- (cb) is a very talented player that would look great under center

Hunt- (lb) looks athletic and seems to have the right mind frame for a backer 

haas-(olb) currently way to skinny but his height 6'5" and athleticism at that position is impressive.  Plus very active .  Could be a very good player 

rastas-(lb) hudl tape is worth a look....high octane player that hits anything and everything with a snap or punch.

UND took a nice step this year , I see no reason why we can't keep stepping forward to a higher seed next year  

Agree with the optimism. This was the 1st FCS playoff game for Bubba as a head coach. Just like the team, he also is still learning and getting better each year as is the staff and the team. Football is getting relevant for the 1st time in a very long time. I was at the hockey game last night at MSG and in our section  between plays and periods, everyone was on their phones following football. Was pretty cool! Everyone is disappointed and no more than the the team. We keep taking steps. I for one am excited for what is coming next year!

• Upvote 2

Year 3 of BubbaBall: Not unexpectedly we're a couple of experiences (plays) and a couple players short of where we need to be. The course is in the right direction. 

Just like not making the playoff last year acted as a motivator, I expect the same from this experience. 

• Upvote 3

Do u think the Coaching staff learned anything about second half playoff game management that will help next yr

How much are football season tickets Mrs. Fetch will be retired by football season next yr & if we stay in GF we should be ready to make the move to watching some good football - cause I sure can't depend on the Vikings for that fix :silly: I love good football but then I want to win & a dynasty would be nice for a few yrs :D

Got to admit I'm really liking Bubba

Key positions we're a couple players short at:

- I worry about LB depth going into next season. Jade Lawrence had better be ready to see a lot of snaps along with O'Brein, Rodgers, and Disterhaupt. 
- The secondary (outside of 19 and 8) needs some serious competition and guys who want to be out there. 
- The team can't be one deep at QB. Honest question: Is the recruit from the MSP metro good enough to be the top back-up as a true freshman if need be? 
- The knock on the WRs is speed. There was this dude named "Jerry Rice" who wasn't all that fast but he played fast and it worked. Take note. 

This team should be a year wiser in some key positions. That should balance out what appears to be a tougher schedule (AMMV). 

Just now, The Sicatoka said:

Key positions we're a couple players short at:

- I worry about LB depth going into next season. Jade Lawrence had better be ready to see a lot of snaps along with O'Brein, Rodgers, and Disterhaupt. 
- The secondary (outside of 19 and 8) needs some serious competition and guys who want to be out there. 
- The team can't be one deep at QB. Honest question: Is the recruit from the MSP metro good enough to be the top back-up as a true freshman if need be? 
- The knock on the WRs is speed. There was this dude named "Jerry Rice" who wasn't all that fast but he played fast and it worked. Take note. 

This team should be a year wiser in some key positions. That should balance out what appears to be a tougher schedule (AMMV). 

Jerry Rice had game speed. Not track speed. Most of our wrs have neither.

26 minutes ago, Fetch said:

Do u think the Coaching staff learned anything about second half playoff game management that will help next yr

How much are football season tickets Mrs. Fetch will be retired by football season next yr & if we stay in GF we should be ready to make the move to watching some good football - cause I sure can't depend on the Vikings for that fix :silly: I love good football but then I want to win & a dynasty would be nice for a few yrs :D

Got to admit I'm really liking Bubba

This year my tix in 215 were 100 bucks.