SiouxSports.com Forum

Diversity Issues on Campus

WiSioux

In a letter to the campus community Wednesday, Kennedy condemned the two photos, but said a zero-tolerance policy is not possible for UND's campus.

"While I appreciate the desire for such a policy, it is unachievable under the First Amendment of the U.S. Constitution," Kennedy wrote. "The challenge we all face is to find the balance between wanting to eliminate expressions of racism and bigotry and supporting the free speech guaranteed by the First Amendment. If we value freedom of speech, we must acknowledge that some may find the expressions of others unwelcome, painful, or even, offensive. We can, however, speak out and condemn such expressions, and we can work to create a more welcoming and inclusive environment."

Kennedy couldn't have handled this any better. Refreshing to see after how big of disaster Kelley was in situations like this. Well done. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

41 minutes ago, AJS said:

Refreshing to see after how big of disaster Kelley was in situations like this. Well done. 

To which even remotely analogous situation are you referring?  Kelley and Kennedy both did their fair share of investigating and condemning, but I certainly don't recall any students being punished where First Amendment rights were implicated.

25 minutes ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

To which even remotely analogous situation are you referring?  Kelley and Kennedy both did their fair share of investigating and condemning, but I certainly don't recall any students being punished where First Amendment rights were implicated.

I'm pretty sure the gamma phi's had forced diversity training for their offensive banner.

im happy how Kennedy handled this situation and I suppose I jumped the gun to criticize the decision to investigate. It good to see some common sense in higher education.

12 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

The girl who was locked out of her room refused to press charges. Perhaps she wasn't as upset by what her roommates did as her "friends" were. 

She had to have initially pressed charges if the UPD began an investigation.  Why she withdrew them is up for speculation but she obviously wasn't fine with this initially. 

It's an interesting decision by Kennedy.  I wonder if you can still be kicked out of the dorms for playing your music too loudly since, apparently, racially harassing your neighbor is now acceptable.  

• Downvote 9

4 minutes ago, dlsiouxfan said:

She had to have initially pressed charges if the UPD began an investigation.  Why she withdrew them is up for speculation but she obviously wasn't fine with this initially. 

It's an interesting decision by Kennedy.  I wonder if you can still be kicked out of the dorms for playing your music too loudly since, apparently, racially harassing your neighbor is now acceptable.  

No one was racially harassed or else the investigation would have found that and actions would have been taken.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, dlsiouxfan said:

Oh, so you know exactly what went down?

• Upvote 4

23 minutes ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

The difference was Kelley always seemed to go "over the top" when condemning. Making sure everyone knew that they could seek counseling after the Springfest / Sioux-Per-Drunk t-shirt situation. Forcing Gamma Phi to do sensitivity training over the banner deal (still not sure how that was offensive). 

Not a first amendment rights issue, but he handled the Lamda Chi situation so poorly. Basically convicting those students in the court of public opinion. He never apologized for that after it was proven the student made it up. 

46 minutes ago, Sioux>Bison said:

I'm pretty sure the gamma phi's had forced diversity training for their offensive banner.

im happy how Kennedy handled this situation and I suppose I jumped the gun to criticize the decision to investigate. It good to see some common sense in higher education.

It was not Kelley who "forced" anything.  http://www.grandforksherald.com/content/und-sorority-trouble-pro-nickname-banner-during-time-out-week-parent-organization-apologizes

On Tuesday, Gamma Phi Beta’s national organization said the sorority will again receive training.

31 minutes ago, Blackheart said:

Oh, so you know exactly what went down?

It says right in the article that "charges were dropped by the complainant".  That would certainly imply they were initially brought. 

It doesn't take much to infer that the girl who was locked out of the room wasn't OK with this but I guess some people can't admit that racial harassment exists unless it personally happens to them.

• Downvote 6

17 minutes ago, AJS said:

The difference was Kelley always seemed to go "over the top" when condemning. Making sure everyone knew that they could seek counseling after the Springfest / Sioux-Per-Drunk t-shirt situation. Forcing Gamma Phi to do sensitivity training over the banner deal (still not sure how that was offensive). 

Not a first amendment rights issue, but he handled the Lamda Chi situation so poorly. Basically convicting those students in the court of public opinion. He never apologized for that after it was proven the student made it up. 

Kelley's very Kennedy-esque statement re: Gamma Phi Beta

UND President Robert Kelley issued a statement saying he was disappointed and that the timing of its display, at the start of Time Out Week, demonstrated a lack of sensitivity.

“UND has a long-standing respect for the rights guaranteed by the First Amendment, which we teach in many of our academic programs,” Kelley said in the statement. “Along with that, we have a critical responsibility to promote respect and civility within our campus community. We teach and model respect for others. It is imperative that, through our actions, we demonstrate respect for all.”

It was the national chapter and not UND that imposed the training.

3 minutes ago, dlsiouxfan said:

It says right in the article that "charges were dropped by the complainant".  That would certainly imply they were initially brought. 

Actually it says possible criminal charges were investigated but the "case" was dropped by the complainant. No mention of charges ever being filed. 

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, UNDBIZ said:

Actually it says possible criminal charges were investigated but the "case" was dropped by the complainant. No mention of charges ever being filed. 

Why did you have to rain on his once again misinterpretation of the facts? 

• Upvote 2

I dare any of you to watch one episode of "Legends of Chamberlain Heights" (Comedy Central). Season 1, episode 1, should do.

It makes "South Park" feel like "Sesame Street". Run on cable; sure, not OTA, but not PPV (like HBO) either. 

If LoCH can fly, well, this incident is at worst, at worst, "South Park". --> Yeah, some might have been offended but it's not illegal by any stretch. 

1 hour ago, UNDBIZ said:

Embarrassing article, I bet Erik Jonnason II is really patting himself on the back for being such a hero. I'll never be able to wrap my head around how a "Sioux Sucks !@#$" chant or the Sioux-Per-Drunk Springfest tshirts can in anyones mind be racist. Does Erik think that a single student when saying that chant is referring to actual Native Americans? Or when the students made those t-shirts it was not a play on words with the old nickname / what happens at Springfest but they were somehow making fun of the alcohol problems that is taking place on reservations. Give me break.  

5 minutes ago, AJS said:

Embarrassing article, I bet Erik Jonnason II is really patting himself on the back for being such a hero. I'll never be able to wrap my head around how a "Sioux Sucks !@#$" chant or the Sioux-Per-Drunk Springfest tshirts can in anyones mind be racist. Does Erik think that a single student when saying that chant is referring to actual Native Americans? Or when the students made those t-shirts it was not a play on words with the old nickname / what happens at Springfest but they were somehow making fun of the alcohol problems that is taking place on reservations. Give me break.  

Like one of the people who commented on the article said, this guy needs a safe space.

Seriously, while I take no offense to the whole thing, this commenter seems to be trying to write stuff for the SJW agenda (bolding is mine)...  What a dumbazz.  SMDH.

Nate Nelly
October 8, 2016 at 5:27 pm

What is your problem? Is this very first time you have ever been to any college game? This is college, these types of things are to be expected. I believe you need to stop being one of those individuals that gets offended by everything. We don’t need one of these safe spaces for football. By the way, you are writting for a paper that should be backing NDSU. These chants are something that we just do. I recommend that you chill out, stop being offended by nothing at all, chant Sioux suck s*** at the next game, and get drunk. Now the next article I read from you better start supporting our team or you can find a new State and a new paper to write for.

“That’s another BISON first down!” “Move those chains…”  It is at these moments during the game when we must realize it is 2016 and we still have racism prevalent here at North Dakota State.

This guy can't be serious?  Is he trying to imply that the crowd yelling "move those chains" when referring to the first down chains is referencing slavery and is racist?  Is that what he is implying?  Wow.  What an idiot!!

Just now, Siouxperfan7 said:

“That’s another BISON first down!” “Move those chains…”  It is at these moments during the game when we must realize it is 2016 and we still have racism prevalent here at North Dakota State.

This guy can't be serious?  Is he trying to imply that the crowd yelling "move those chains" when referring to the first down chains is referencing slavery and is racist?  Is that what he is implying?  Wow.  What an idiot!!

No?  After they say "Move those chains" they say "Sioux suck sh*t."

• Upvote 2

On 10/5/2016 at 9:25 PM, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

The first time it was forced when they did the Cowboys and Indians party. The second time, the Panhellenic Council suggested mandatory sensitivity training to Kelley and then their national office stepped in and enforced it. Just to clarify, I'm married to a Gphi who was in the house at the time.