SiouxSports.com Forum

Diversity Issues on Campus

WiSioux

20 minutes ago, UNDColorado said:

All that but the herald missed the fact that the siouxper drunk t shirts people were not even UND students. Add in the fact that springfest is not a UND sanctioned event. Those pesky facts.

That's what I was pointing out.  Ask Joe Citizen about what happened and he'll likely tell you it was when some UND students got into trouble over some shirts.  Hell, google that story and you'll find out that rarely does one say that they were NOT in fact UND students.  

Mission accomplished.  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, ScottM said:

This is either:

(a) Another terrible, unseemly incident, or
(b) Four chicks, affiliations unknown, getting mud facials, took a pic and someone (again who and affiliations unknown) modified the picture and used to prank the uptight sphincters in admin. 

(I'm now looking out my window for the UPD car to pull up for that (b) thing. Surely that was offensive.) 

49 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

This is either:

(a) Another terrible, unseemly incident, or
(b) Four chicks, affiliations unknown, getting mud facials, took a pic and someone (again who and affiliations unknown) modified the picture and used to prank the uptight sphincters in admin. 

(I'm now looking out my window for the UPD car to pull up for that (b) thing. Surely that was offensive.) 

The one on the right looks like a guy to me

20 hours ago, mksioux said:

Speak for yourself Kennedy.  I, for one, do not want a "swift resolution."  I want any investigative process to be slow, deliberate, and above all, fair with full due process rights.  I don't like Kennedy pandering to the pitchfork mob and treating due process as some unfortunate pesky procedural barrier to an immediate tar and feathering.  

I didn't take it that he was trying to make it a swift process.  I thought he was trying to communicate that the best process is the one that follows the correct protocols, and that would be done in this case.

11 minutes ago, Sioux>Bison said:

If Kennedy stoops to the level of the whinny liberals then maybe my donations will need to be redirected to a different cause. Students or not colleges should not discipline student for expressing their first amendment rights whether they are in poor taste or not.

Kennedy's not stooping to anyone. He's doing the right thing by getting to the bottom of what's going on. If you want to see a bigger !@#$ storm than what's already played out, just have Kennedy ignore these allegations. FAIR OR NOT, UND already has a national reputation for being tone deaf to racial issues. Ignoring this new episode of allegations would not help our situation. 

16 minutes ago, Teeder11 said:

Kennedy's not stooping to anyone. He's doing the right thing by getting to the bottom of what's going on. If you want to see a bigger !@#$ storm than what's already played out, just have Kennedy ignore these allegations. FAIR OR NOT, UND already has a national reputation for being tone deaf to racial issues. Ignoring this new episode of allegations would not help our situation. 

Yeah he's in a tough spot. He will need to dish out some form of punishment or provide a good explanation that is backed by the "locked out" student. If punishment is necessary, it better not be expulsion or donors and the legislature will be angry. 

In this day and age these were stupid posts to put on social media.   But they weren't particularly threatening either.   These are good learning opportunities for kids who may have had little exposure to a diverse environment and the implications of social media.  I can remember back to when I was at college and did some pretty stupid stuff. I could have easily done something this thoughtless (and probably did) but because we lacked social media it didn't wrongly implicate a whole institution, and the ramifications to me were not so severe.  With maturity and exposure you gain more wisdom about how to interact socially.

If the resulting investigation proves some sort of punishment is warranted, fine.  But I don't think these situations raise to the level of the worst of racial discrimination or threat.  

• Upvote 2