SiouxSports.com Forum

President Kennedy Message on Athletics

fightingsioux4life

7 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

With the rumblings coming out of Bismarck, it is going to be very interesting to hear what their plan is. I'm still as dumbfounded as you on their plan.

The severity of our state's financial chalenges for the next bienium is going to be brought to the front pages of our state's newspapers in the next couple of months.

35 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

< TIN FOIL HAT ALERT > 

Could this be a way to do it anyway but blame Bismarck? 

"Our plan was to save them all, but in light of recent budget allocations out of Bismarck ..."

As a rule, not owning tough decisions (even if they end up being right) is a sign of a god awful leader.

• Upvote 2

On ‎1‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 1:35 PM, jdub27 said:

With the rumblings coming out of Bismarck, it is going to be very interesting to hear what their plan is. I'm still as dumbfounded as you on their decision to do nothing.

This is why I never really bought that whole "this is finalized" statement from 300 Twamley Hall. It can't be any worse than what has already done now how has it?

On ‎1‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 1:41 PM, The Sicatoka said:

< TIN FOIL HAT ALERT > 

Could this be a way to do it anyway but blame Bismarck? 

"Our plan was to save them all, but in light of recent budget allocations out of Bismarck ..."

Well Kennedy has a political background and all so your either on something or onto something there Sic.

Things are going to get worse before they get better:

Possibility of cumulative cuts totaling 26.55 percent if all proposed budget trimming measures are adopted for the 2017-19 budget now being shaped.

The potential reduction includes 6.55 percent cuts already made to its 2015-17 budget, as well as proposed cuts for 2017-19 of 15 percent advocated by former Gov. Jack Dalrymple and an additional 5 percent trim recommended by Gov. Doug Burgum.

My guess is that the recent round of cuts and plans would handle the initial 6.55% + the 15%. The additional 5% proposed by Burgum probably wasn't planned for.

1 hour ago, jdub27 said:

Things are going to get worse before they get better:

My guess is that the recent round of cuts and plans would handle the initial 6.55% + the 15%. The additional 5% proposed by Burgum probably wasn't planned for.

Not sure where your quote is from, but the 6.55% is included in the 15%.

On 1/10/2017 at 1:22 PM, UND-1 said:

Unsustainable, one-time, special needs type of fundraising.  They still should have cut sports AND done this to help the sports that were left.  I will never understand the 'more revenue, no cutting' philosophy they went with.  

Seems pretty consistent with the way our government handles things. Why cut spending, when you can just raise taxes? :blink:

• Downvote 2

25 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Not sure where your quote is from, but the 6.55% is included in the 15%.

From a Forum article so it very well could be wrong. Looking back at a couple articles, I'm leaning towards your interpretation being correct, not the Forum's, which seemed fairly high when I read though it but my fault for assuming they were correct. The bigger issue I meant to point out with the quote is the additional 5% cuts recommended by Burgum, which are going to be a stretch because it seemed that 15% was more or less thought of as a worst case scenario.

Here is the actual wording from Dalrymple's Budget Address (which again, doesn't include Burgum's additional 5% cut):

HIGHER EDUCATION
However, we are recommending an initial 10 percent reduction in the General Fund support and further reductions of 5 percent that can be offset by an assumed tuition increase of no more than 2.5 percent per year across all campuses.

5 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Ah, with the writer getting his info from Bresciani, it makes sense it would be completely wrong or at least misleading.

It did have this passage:

But Bresciani repeatedly cautioned that it is early, and there are many unanswered questions about which of many budget proposals and variations legislators ultimately will favor. He said it isn’t yet clear, for example, whether lawmakers will consider the 6.55 percent cuts to the 2015-17 budget a one-time reduction or ongoing.

Dalrymple had suggested the possibility of a 5 percent tuition increase to soften the budget cuts, but Bresciani said it isn’t a given that legislators would go along with a tuition hike.

Everything from this summer seemed to indicate that the recommended 10% cuts would include the ~4% cuts from last year and then add in the extra 5% Dalrymple mentioned to get to 15% (which again, was being prepared for). But I suppose if you say "it isn't clear" and go with the bigger number, that has a much more dramatic effect, even if you really do know. Also, I'm not sure where they get the possible 5% tuition increase from however as Dalrymple's address clearly says 2.5%.

Now is the time for Kennedy to step up and make some decisions and not worry about the backlash. We need to cut some sports, regardless of the budget situation. We also need to raise more financial support, because of the budget situation.

This also could make a move to the Slummit/MVFC or Slummit/BSC-FB almost a done deal. :(:angry:

4 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Now is the time for Kennedy to step up and make some decisions and not worry about the backlash. We need to cut some sports, regardless of the budget situation. We also need to raise more financial support, because of the budget situation.

This also could make a move to the Slummit/MVFC or Slummit/BSC-FB almost a done deal. :(:angry:

The football situation will determine if we move in the Summit.  That would have happened regardless. 

• Upvote 1

You would think this would be a simple plan:

Decide the conference situation first (no inside info but I think its an all or nothing propositions, its Summit/MVFC or Big Sky).  I don't think the MVFC really wants to be at 11 and wonder if they are trying find that 12th member.  I also don't think the Big Sky really wants us as an affiliate. 

Then go back to cuts, get Faison and the other Big Wigs in athletics involved and them only.  If anyone on campus complains, point back to the IAC. We went this way and this is what happened.  Now we will try it another.

Or you can reverse the order and it will still be fine (you can do the cuts and still be fine in both leagues)

I see Schloss was on twitter singing the praises of the Women's Hockey team this weekend.  Peculiar timing.  

BTW, they lost both games to Wisconsin but maybe they are "getting closer to turning the corner" and the game one loss was " something they can build on".  

• Upvote 4

45 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

I see Schloss was on twitter singing the praises of the Women's Hockey team this weekend.  Peculiar timing.  

BTW, they lost both games to Wisconsin but maybe they are "getting closer to turning the corner" and the game one loss was " something they can build on".  

I wouldn't expect them to beat Wisconsin, but it has to bring into question how UND can lose both games to the #1 by 1 but can't sweep Lindinwood and Syracuse.

On 1/21/2017 at 9:38 AM, fightingsioux4life said:

Kennedy played it out perfectly.  He knew there were going to be mandatory cuts the state would propose.  Instead of cutting sports initially, he recommended to keep them all and then when the state forced them to make cuts, he had a scapegoat for the reason sports were cut.  Either way, the writing was on the wall that this is likely going to happen.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Kennedy played it out perfectly.  He knew there were going to be mandatory cuts the state would propose.  Instead of cutting sports initially, he recommended to keep them all and then when the state forced them to make cuts, he had a scapegoat for the reason sports were cut.  Either way, the writing was on the wall that this is likely going to happen.

That's fine.  But, why then did he make them do their Dog and Pony show to save their program?  All of that was a complete waste of time and embarrassing for the coaches if he had this grand plan.  

• Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

I don't believe it's going to happen until I actually see it.  

Feelings might get hurt so common sense is out the window. 

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

He should have never said that this was going to be done once and never revisited. He painted himself in a corner and will rightfully get roasted for it. That being said, he has a second chance to do what should have been done the first time and fix the problem.

Not saying I agree with what he did.  But it seems like instead of taking responsibility and making the necessary cuts, he is going to make it appear that its the state that is making UND cut programs and not him.  So while he may think he is coming out looking as the good guy that tried to save every athletic program, he actually comes out looking like a failed leader incapable of making tough decisions

• Upvote 1