SiouxSports.com Forum

The Ag College weighs in.

chicofelipe

3 hours ago, Goon said:

To me,this guy's a clown. 

Definition of Tribe: a social division in a traditional society consisting of families or communities linked by social, economic, religious, or blood ties, with a common culture and dialect, typically having a recognized leader.

Don't be dumb. If UND's current/old name was the (insert anything not native here), the #RollTribe thing, which is as bad as NDSU stealing the hook 'em horns... Wouldn't exist. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

11 hours ago, Jackie Treehorn said:

Typical whiny FU fan.  

I'm not ready to condemn the whole bulk of NDSU fans because of this article. I actually watched the game surround by NDSU fans. I took a few jabs, but for the most part they wanted to see the Sioux (Hawks - that was one of the repeated jabs) as much as I did (ok, maybe not quite as much).

This speaks more to me of the obnoxious youth (I'm only 30), that feel the need to share their opinion with out looking at the full scope of the situation. This person is offended by UND chanting Go Sioux and Sioux Forever, but apparently not by their own fans chanting Sioux Suck S%#T. For the record, I'm not overly offended by that, it is simply an opposition chanting against a rival. What I'm opposed to, is criticizing the use of a particular nickname when you feel it suits your interest.

Really, I didn't even finish reading this article because of how thin the meaning was behind it. This is no better than any of your "overly" PC crowd that like to kick and scream, but if you ever asked them to give a real description of what or why this offended them, they would have no substance behind their opinion.

In general, I'm more disappointed with the author of this article than I am in NDSU or their fans. To bulk together the views of all Bison fans with this moron would be the equivalent of bulking together all the people at UND or in GF, with the moron English teacher that hates ROTC.

I'll step down off my soapbox now.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, ILiketheSiouxYeah said:

Isn't it just Grand to watch all these poor sports crawl out of the weeds with their opinions on UND, to make themselves feel better, because right now, it really hurts. It feels really good over on this side, impervious to the dialogue. REAL Sioux fans know, it's not about the name, its the history and tradition of it. Take the name away, but you can't take away what it stood for. Chanting, Sioux forever, at the end of that game was just an epic way to end the year and show the country why we're the cream of the crop. NDSU is tops in FCS football in terms of fan following, so good on them, imagine if they were subject to a name change, they would react exactly the same, we're all North Dakotans and proud of our boys, and the history they've written. 

Well put, and for what it is worth, I appreciated all of the NDSU fans that pulled for us. Including the very classy Carson Wentz tweet. No way in hell I'll cheer for NDSU when we are playing against you, but I'll certainly admit that I've pulled for the Bison in Nat'l Champ games, or in games against FBS opponents. I may be a little different, because my in-laws are huge Bison fans, but who do I have a more vested interest in. NDSU or Sam Houston? NDSU or K State? NDSU or Jacksonville St? NDSU or IA ST? Etc. 

Its the obnoxious fans, that will look for any little way to put down UND, even moments after a nat'l championship, that gets irritating. Unfortunately we have some of those fans too.

Anyway, lets make some noise in football, dance in basketball, and hang number 9 in hockey. Go SIOUX!

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

I'm not ready to condemn the whole bulk of NDSU fans because of this article. I actually watched the game surround by NDSU fans. I took a few jabs, but for the most part they wanted to see the Sioux (Hawks - that was one of the repeated jabs) as much as I did (ok, maybe not quite as much).

This speaks more to me of the obnoxious youth (I'm only 30), that feel the need to share their opinion with out looking at the full scope of the situation. This person is offended by UND chanting Go Sioux and Sioux Forever, but apparently not by their own fans chanting Sioux Suck S%#T. For the record, I'm not overly offended by that, it is simply an opposition chanting against a rival. What I'm opposed to, is criticizing the use of a particular nickname when you feel it suits your interest.

Really, I didn't even finish reading this article because of how thin the meaning was behind it. This is no better than any of your "overly" PC crowd that like to kick and scream, but if you ever asked them to give a real description of what or why this offended them, they would have no substance behind their opinion.

In general, I'm more disappointed with the author of this article than I am in NDSU or their fans. To bulk together the views of all Bison fans with this moron would be the equivalent of bulking together all the people at UND or in GF, with the moron English teacher that hates ROTC.

I'll step down off my soapbox now.

Wise beyond your years.

1 hour ago, bison73 said:

What butt hurt are you referring to????????

The whining, bitching, and moaning from the NTACs in Fargo, Duluth, Denver.... The JAs at the DU blog are a hoot... Sad thing is they appear to actually believe what they are hyping...  The kid in fargo is harmless...and clueless.  

So when does a UND fan bring up the fact that when UND wins a Natty, it is against the big boys, not the second tier of the D1?  Yes it is impressive NDSU won 5 titles in a row, but it is not an all inclusive tourney for D1?  So it is comparing apples and oranges.  Granted UND has not won 5 in a row, but NDSU hasn't played a Minnesota, Michigan, Wisconsin, Boston College, I think you get the point, in a tournament either.  

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, ringneck28 said:

So when does a UND fan bring up the fact that when UND wins a Natty, it is against the big boys, not the second tier of the D1?  Yes it is impressive NDSU won 5 titles in a row, but it is not an all inclusive tourney for D1?  So it is comparing apples and oranges.  Granted UND has not won 5 in a row, but NDSU hasn't played a Minnesota, Michigan, Wisconsin, Boston College, I think you get the point, in a tournament either.  

Winning a championship on any level is an accomplishment.  But I do have to say I dont consider Quinnipiac to be one of the big boys. Or the fact that of the 60 teams who play hockey 23 are D2 and D3. But thats just me. I also know we are in the second tier of D1 of which I have no problem with.

I went to NDSU for 2 years before going on to professional school outside of North Dakota.  I have lived and worked in Grand Forks for more than 30 years and have become a UND sports fan but still root for NDSU when they are not playing UND.  I believe that both schools represent the state of North Dakota in a very positive manner.  Both schools over the years have had tremendous athletic programs that have won multiple national championships in many sports.  I have become a huge UND hockey fan since living in Grand Forks but have still been very proud do see NDSU win the football championships over the past 5 years.  The fact that many if not most UND fans still cheer for the "Fighting Sioux" locally or on the national stage does not reflect badly on UND or North Dakota.  The fact is that this change was forced on us by the NCAA with very little basis that we used the nickname or logo in a hostile or abusive manner.  Most if not all UND fans used the nickname and logo in a very respectful manner.  I have never seen a UND Fighting Sioux fan use the "Fighting Sioux" in a negative manner in any situation.  The only negative I have ever noticed is opposing teams chanting "Sioux Suck" or something similar.  This is no different than Bison opponents chanting "Bison Suck".  The fact remains that the only Sioux tribe to actually have a say on the I nickname overwhelmingly approved the use of Fighting Sioux by UND.  The other relevant tribe (at least according to the NCAA) were never given the opportunity to approve or disapprove the use of the nickname and logo.  The bottom line is that is going to take some time for UND fans to accept the new nickname and I have not problem with our fans supporting their team using Fighting Sioux chants.  I know the players on our teams certainly support and appreciate it.

• Upvote 4

38 minutes ago, bison73 said:

Winning a championship on any level is an accomplishment.  But I do have to say I dont consider Quinnipiac to be one of the big boys. Or the fact that of the 60 teams who play hockey 23 are D2 and D3. But thats just me. I also know we are in the second tier of D1 of which I have no problem with.

This year Quinnipiac was one of the "Big Boys" in NCAA division 1 hockey being ranked 1 or 2 in the polls and the pairwise for most of the year.  There is a lot more parity in D1 hockey now then there will ever be in football or basketball.  This is not meant to take anything away from NDSU and their football championships, it has been a tremendous accomplishment.  But to try and diminish the significance of the UND "Fighting Sioux" winning the D1 hockey national title based on the team that they beat in the championship is immature at best.  Both teams had to win 3 games against the best teams in the nation to get to the national championship game.  Enough Said!!.

24 minutes ago, bison73 said:

Serious question, are there any D2 or D3 schools with FCS football teams, similar to hockey? I know there's a lot of small Eastern schools with successful FCS football programs like there are in D1 hockey.

4 minutes ago, SiouxperSiouxFan said:

This year Quinnipiac was one of the "Big Boys" in NCAA division 1 hockey being ranked 1 or 2 in the polls and the pairwise for most of the year.  There is a lot more parity in D1 hockey now then there will ever be in football or basketball.  This is not meant to take anything away from NDSU and their football championships, it has been a tremendous accomplishment.  But to try and diminish the significance of the UND "Fighting Sioux" winning the D1 hockey national title based on the team that they beat in the championship is immature at best.  Both teams had to win 3 games against the best teams in the nation to get to the national championship game.  Enough Said!!.

Just today they had 2 players sign NHL contracts and 2 players refuse NHL offers. There will be more from this years team to play in the NHL. They are also the second winningest program since 2012. Would be #1 if they had beat UND. 

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, bison73 said:

Well Quinnipiac beat a lot of very good teams including Boston College(D1 in all sports) who has really had UND's number in recent history.  So I really believe that the SIOUX are the best team in Division 1 hockey.  UND's toughest game was against Denver, a NCHC league opponent and a D1 powerhouse that plays down in other sports.  Hockey is a different animal, there are small schools out there that put a very competitive team on the ice on a yearly basis...And their players go on to the Show.

I'm not discounting what the Ag school has done, but let's put things in proper perspective.

6 hours ago, Goon said:

To me,this guy's a clown. 

Definition of Tribe: a social division in a traditional society consisting of families or communities linked by social, economic, religious, or blood ties, with a common culture and dialect, typically having a recognized leader.

Good to know what you really think of the #rolltribe hashtag since many of the current and former Sioux players use it. 

• Downvote 1

24 minutes ago, GreenWing said:

Serious question, are there any D2 or D3 schools with FCS football teams, similar to hockey? I know there's a lot of small Eastern schools with successful FCS football programs like there are in D1 hockey.

None that I know of.

23 minutes ago, rochsioux said:

Good to know what you really think of the #rolltribe hashtag since many of the current and former Sioux players use it. 

I think you missed the point, I was trying to show that Tribe isn't isn't racist like the guys is claiming. I said nothing negative. 

13 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Yes, some people accepted the new nickname the day it was announced, and others will never ever refer to UND as the Fighting Hawks.  And everyone else fits somewhere in between.  Of course it will take awhile for most to adjust to the new nickname.  But really he does bring up a good point.  Yelling "Go Sioux" when our nickname is the Fighting Hawks, from an outsider, does seem strange.  I get it during the so called" cooling off" period when we had no nickname to continue to refer to the teams as the Sioux.  But now that we have a new nickname, we have to all at least try to adjust to the new name.  I am not saying you have to burn all your Sioux apparel and buy hundreds of dollars of new Fighting Hawks apparel.  Everyone can move at their own pace.  But when you are ready to make that transition, the first step might be just to refer to the team by their actual nickname.  It's really not as bad as you think.

On Facebook I had someone tell me I don't have any UND Pride because I said Go Hawks. Pretty sad that's the mindset of some people. We all cheer for the same school no matter what nickname they are. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, GreenWing said:

In the primary DI sports of FB, BB and Baseball, you cannot play DI unless you are fully a DI institution.  Exception are made for other sports such as hockey, where non DI institutions are allowed to play at the DI level.  

48 minutes ago, 4evrSIOUX said:

Well said!  The fact is The State of North Dakota's championship teams are in different sports. It's a big deal that we have 2 championship teams in this state. We should all be proud of BOTH teams. Great sports year for Nodak! 

In case you didn't know UND has a football team at the DI level, and I am not as giddy as you to cheer for our in-state rival in any sport we also compete in. 

• Upvote 4