SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA @ Quinnipiac - NCAA national championship edition

AZSIOUX

28 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

The end of the second and the beginning of the third was the worst hockey I've seen from this team this season. Worse than against Wisconsin. It was putrid. On our heels, desperately bombing pucks down the rink for icing after icing, gliding to the puck. It really was terrible to watch because we had just been pounding them for most of the second period. We can't afford to do that on Saturday or the streak will extend. 

I have to pretty much agree.  After the Q/BC game, I liked whichever NCHC team advanced to win it all.  But that was with the "regional" UND team in my head.  With last night's team fresh in my mind, I have to think Pecknold is liking his chances.  UND's just going to have to play a lot better tomorrow.

If UND decides again to forgo the middle 50% of the ice when getting the puck out of the D zone thru the neutral zone it will be difficult to win Saturday vs Q. Can't continually chip it off the boards or flip it down the the ice for an icing call like last night. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

If UND decides again to forgo the middle 50% of the ice when getting the puck out of the D zone thru the neutral zone it will be difficult to win Saturday vs Q. Can't continually chip it off the boards or flip it down the the ice for an icing call like last night. 

I would like to think a to of that was trying to catch DU in a line change...as they were pressing their luck more than once on that

• Upvote 2

The loss of LJ, if he can't go, is big because you're down a good faceoff guy. That made a big difference with all of the icings. That being said, the faceoff numbers were quite even for the game, and UND won the big one when it counted.

Everyone in the press conference acknowledged that they didn't play their best game. Part of the credit goes to Denver. But you could see the relief and excitement on their faces after this one. I'm optimistic they'll be more like the team we remember from the regional on Saturday.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Oxbow6 said:

Hey u nailed it last night on the Boeser Pass & Schmaltz shoot ....good call - we may need u to make another end of one coaching call Sat. U should get into a field where a diagnosis is required  

QU is the higher seed, has last change, and gets to wear the home jersey. I'm assuming they'll wear the yellows they wore against BC as QU was the higher seed there too (BC wore the all maroon look). 

Did UND make an agreement with QU to be be able to wear the whites (against their yellows) in the event they met, or ... 

7 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

QU is the higher seed, has last change, and gets to wear the home jersey. I'm assuming they'll wear the yellows they wore against BC as QU was the higher seed there too (BC wore the all maroon look). 

Did UND make an agreement with QU to be be able to wear the whites (against their yellows) in the event they met, or ... 

I think Bucci was confusing White/Darks with how the NHL does it with White being lower seed. Schlossman is saying UND will most likely wear Black business suits

• Upvote 1

Let's say LJ is out.  Not that you want to be making a ton of changes right now, but is it possible they consider sitting Olson after the third period gaffe?  That would potentially mean two new faces, out of St. Clair, Wolanin and Wilkie.  Each has their virtues.  Wolanin might be the least effective of the three as a forward, but would give you insurance in the lineup in the event of an injury or DQ to a defenseman.  I think St. Clair might be most likely to bring a big energy boost, which last night's team seemed to need.  And Wilkie, as a shooter, brings the best chance of converting a Bobcat mistake into a goal.

50 minutes ago, Wildfan said:

I think Bucci was confusing White/Darks with how the NHL does it with White being lower seed. Schlossman is saying UND will most likely wear Black business suits

I LOVE this.

When the business suits were in their big run in the mid to late 2000s, they weren't used often and were truly saved for BIG weekends (At Mariucci, Regionals, Frozen Fours, Final Fives) and we never lost in them. Then, they seemed to cool down on them as we used them a bit more. Am I imagining this or did we not use them a bunch one season?

This will pump up the boys and make Q think just a little bit.

16 minutes ago, jk said:

Let's say LJ is out.  Not that you want to be making a ton of changes right now, but is it possible they consider sitting Olson after the third period gaffe?  That would potentially mean two new faces, out of St. Clair, Wolanin and Wilkie.  Each has their virtues.  Wolanin might be the least effective of the three as a forward, but would give you insurance in the lineup in the event of an injury or DQ to a defenseman.  I think St. Clair might be most likely to bring a big energy boost, which last night's team seemed to need.  And Wilkie, as a shooter, brings the best chance of converting a Bobcat mistake into a goal.

Will be interesting to see what the coaches decide here.  I can see them going either way on Olson, but my gut says he'll stay in the lineup for the same reasons they've put him in the lineup every game in this tourney.  Assuming St. Clair is full speed and showing well in practice I think that's were I go. Experience, and give the senior a chance to go big in his last game.   But Wilkie does have that ability to score, so would understand that as well.   I would guess if they need 2 forwards it's those two over Wolanin.  Our D is so good even if 1 gets hurt they can play the other 5 enough to cover.   They can rest all summer

10 minutes ago, Fetch said:

Was the ice or humidity a big factor ?

U would think they could handle that in a pro rink ?

After watching the 4 regular season games between these two I definitely believe the ice was a factor. A factor for both teams however. There were 4 morning skates, and 2 games. The ice was given less than a hour to recover after the 1st game. Full rink with body heat and heat from outside, or heater in the building doesn't help. I know players have said before that the ice is not as good when they follow a womens game just for the fact that it isn't nice a crisp and set up like it is on nights that they are the only show in the rink.

• Upvote 2

Any speculation on whether Olson is in the lineup tomorrow? I could see St. Clair and Wilkie in for Johnson and Olson. Also thought 25 struggled last night. This team has to turn the performance from last night around and play their game. Dictate the pace. Olson might help with that so he stays in??

Come on, boys! "Check the last box!"

image.png

image.jpeg

Gersich will not sit tomorrow. St.Clair if LJ can't go. 

Heavy line becomes Rhett at center St. Clair with Pogo at wings.

4th line as is unless Wilke goes for Olson.

1 hour ago, Wildfan said:

Hajdu wouldn't confirm on Twitter. I'd still love to see our green lids and breezers with the black sweaters someday.