SiouxSports.com Forum

2016-2017 Season

SWSiouxMN

1 hour ago, Cratter said:

It's more that his contract ends after this season and currently has not been renewed.

Oh I get that.  Just trying to point out to Hoops44 that Jones is indeed playing for his job.  Even if he is given a year or two extension this summer and the team tanks next year...I think there's a pretty good chance he is let go.  Most coaches at this level are at risk of being fired should their team not play up to expectations.  I'm hoping UND has set the bar fairly high...at a minimum a top three finish in conference and a few tourney wins.  The Big Sky is not a good basketball conference.  Outside of Weber and occasionally Montana, there is not another "good team" in there.  I hope UND really starts to focus on pumping up the program to the point where they are in the conference hunt year in, year out and make the dance every now and then.

• Upvote 1

In the unlikely event UND hangs Jones out to dry by not giving him an extension ... pretty much sticking a dagger in his back as far as this year recruiting is concerned, than logic would dictate the Jones is very very much coaching to save his job and in need of a top 2 finish in the league or winning the tourney. More likely Jones get an extension the and coaching to save his job rhetoric is nothing unlike a position he has been in before and one that is not uncommon to the profession  and therefore a rather lame point of discussion

In my own opinion, being he still hasn't gotten an extension (which is coming I believe), I would go as far as to say the budget cuts are what saved him from the ax this spring.  They would have had to add budget for the new staff.  

17 minutes ago, UND-1 said:

In my own opinion, being he still hasn't gotten an extension (which is coming I believe), I would go as far as to say the budget cuts are what saved him from the ax this spring.  They would have had to add budget for the new staff.  

makes a lot of sense ... to not can him after greatly exceeding all expectations last season in order to save money....but now give him an extension with a buyout this year???when they could let his contract expire,can him and save 1 to 2 hundred thou...Somebody must be onto something or on something. Opinions are a dime a dozen and logic is not a requirement to have one

14 minutes ago, hoops44 said:

makes a lot of sense ... to not can him after greatly exceeding all expectations last season in order to save money....but now give him an extension with a buyout this year???when they could let his contract expire,can him and save 1 to 2 hundred thou...Somebody must be onto something or on something. Opinions are a dime a dozen and logic is not a requirement to have one

Name one coach that has coached without at least a year left on his contract?  They are doing it as a show of "faith" for recruiting purposes because it's what you have to do.  You know they told him win big or else.  Or at least you should cause you know a lot.  

If you want to know why it seems weird, look at who the AD is.    

2 hours ago, hoops44 said:

Opinions are a dime a dozen and logic is not a requirement to have one

Correct...

And you are welcome to have your opinion on this topic.  However, in this case your opinion happens to be wrong.

Logic and corroboration has been used over and again to come up with my (and others here) opinion that Jones is coaching for his job this year, which is more than justified.

2 hours ago, UND-1 said:

Name one coach that has coached without at least a year left on his contract?  They are doing it as a show of "faith" for recruiting purposes because it's what you have to do.  You know they told him win big or else.  Or at least you should cause you know a lot.  

If you want to know why it seems weird, look at who the AD is.    

Every coach in South Dakota. 

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, UNDvince97-01 said:

Correct...

And you are welcome to have your opinion on this topic.  However, in this case your opinion happens to be wrong.

Logic and corroboration has been used over and again to come up with my (and others here) opinion that Jones is coaching for his job this year, which is more than justified.

according to your logic Jones would have been canned years ago... If you could read I never said Jones had a 100% of coaching UND 2017/2018 therefore Like I said earlier to some extent Jones as well as many other coaches are coaching for the jobs ....not really a big deal it happens quite often

49 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

Lets discuss something else: updated schedule 

Dec 10 @ Northern Iowa

Dec 20 @ Iowa

I wonder if FSN north will broadcast UNI, and Big 10 network would broadcast the Iowa game. Both would be great. 

5 hours ago, dmksioux said:

Oh I get that.  Just trying to point out to Hoops44 that Jones is indeed playing for his job.  Even if he is given a year or two extension this summer and the team tanks next year...I think there's a pretty good chance he is let go.  Most coaches at this level are at risk of being fired should their team not play up to expectations.  I'm hoping UND has set the bar fairly high...at a minimum a top three finish in conference and a few tourney wins.  The Big Sky is not a good basketball conference.  Outside of Weber and occasionally Montana, there is not another "good team" in there.  I hope UND really starts to focus on pumping up the program to the point where they are in the conference hunt year in, year out and make the dance every now and then.

I wonder how this whole budget cut thing will affect the extention/buyout/contract expiration. Obviously Ed tried to save money to go forward but will that include more money for basketball salaries? Lots of questions before, during and after this season to answer.

• 2 weeks later...

And after finding out that UNC has put out their schedule, we can put together UND's conference schedule.   Up to date schedule so far

Dec 10 @ Northern Iowa

Dec 20 @ Iowa

Dec 29 @ PSU

Dec 31 @ SAC ST

Jan 5 NAU

Jan 7 SUU

Jan 12 @ MSU

Jan 14 @ Montana

Jan 19 Weber

Jan 21 ISU

Jan 26 @ SUU

Jan 28 @ NAU

Feb 4 UNC

Feb 9 EWU

Feb 11 Idaho

Feb 16 @ ISU

Feb 18 @ Weber

Feb 25 @ UNC

Mar 2 SAC ST

Mar 4 PSU

TBD @ NDSU

We get Montanas once on the road and Idaho/EWU once at home.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, SWSiouxMN said:

And after finding out that UNC has put out their schedule, we can put together UND's conference schedule.   Up to date schedule so far

Dec 10 @ Northern Iowa

Dec 20 @ Iowa

Dec 29 @ PSU

Dec 31 @ SAC ST

Jan 5 NAU

Jan 7 SUU

Jan 12 @ MSU

Jan 14 @ Montana

Jan 19 Weber

Jan 21 ISU

Jan 26 @ SUU

Jan 28 @ NAU

Feb 4 UNC

Feb 9 EWU

Feb 11 Idaho

Feb 16 @ ISU

Feb 18 @ Weber

Feb 25 @ UNC

Mar 2 SAC ST

Mar 4 PSU

TBD @ NDSU

We get Montanas once on the road and Idaho/EWU once at home.

Please don't tell me they are doing the "no non-conference home games to save money they don't have" thing again?  

57 minutes ago, UND-1 said:

Please don't tell me they are doing the "no non-conference home games to save money they don't have" thing again?  

Guessing those games haven't been released. All that list has is the conference games and the away D-1 games that have been released. That being said, I wouldn't expect a ton of non-conference home games as per usual.

15 minutes ago, the green team said:

From what I understand is...for what other schools want to come here, is not within the financial window the team has access to.

They need to take that baseball/golf money and invest it into our basketball program. (Scheduling, salaries)

1 hour ago, UND-1 said:

Don't worry, they will play the usual ND teams at home like Valley City and Jamestown. Maybe they can stretch the budget a little and get Duluth and Bemidji State in the Betty.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, the green team said:

From what I understand is...for what other schools want to come here, is not within the financial window the team has access to.

"January non-conference road trip to North Dakota." <-- What is the immediate mental impression 95% of NCAA teams get with that statement?

19 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

"January non-conference road trip to North Dakota." <-- What is the immediate mental impression 95% of NCAA teams get with that statement?

Additionally,  When MBB beat Louisiana Tech and Bowling Green at The Betty a few years back.  All schools are looking for non-conference wins in the months of November/December. Once the word gets out that you are not an automatic W- especially on your home floor...opposing teams begin to look elsewhere to find those wins if they can.

58 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

They need to take that baseball/golf money and invest it into our basketball program. (Scheduling, salaries)

That isn't money that's just sitting there waiting to be used.  It's money that is used to help with the budget shortfall.  It's not hanging out in UND's back pocket.