SiouxSports.com Forum

Big Sky Semis: #1 Weber vs #5 UND (3/11 7:35)

SWSiouxMN

A great effort by the guys

If Jones had given us this team 5 years ago I would be firmly in his camp.

Instead he is now in his 10th year and gave us 4 years of the most frustrating  basketball I have ever seen.  Not sure if this keeps his job.

Finally, Jones is either the unluckiest human alive or he couldn't coach the final two minutes to save his butt.

Actually I think our coaching staff did a pretty good job.  The defensive scheme was good.  Weber State is not going to be shut down.  They are too good.  Whether it was coaching or not I think the ball  should of been in Hooker's hands  more than it was in the latter possessions.    Jones didn't miss the free throws, but if Hooker had the ball those free throws might not of been missed.  Hooker was in a zone all we needed to do was make sure he was given the ball  when we  were bringing the ball down the court.  I thought Geno tightened up on a lot of his shots towards the end.  Sometimes he gets way to cute on layups.

13 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

Frustrating to see  crandall take that last attempt in regulation over Hooker. Not a knock on crandall; Hooker is just that good. Great effort by the team. Sucks to lose, but hurts less knowing we played a solid game against a tough opponent.

They doubled Hooker on the in bounds.  No chance.  Smart move by Randino.

9 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

Frustrating to see  crandall take that last attempt in regulation over Hooker. Not a knock on crandall; Hooker is just that good. Great effort by the team. Sucks to lose, but hurts less knowing we played a solid game against a tough opponent.

I agree but they played it correctly and took Hooker completely out of the play with two guys on him almost the entire 11 seconds.  

Before that, we let them clear out for Senglin to do whatever he wanted one on one for 5 seconds before he drained his three to tie it up.   During the timeout beforehand, a coach with a brain instructs his team to double Senglin to get the ball out of his hands.     

Good game, everyone played tough and they took Weber to the end. Everyone should be proud how they played in the tournament. Next season a little more mature, and Bollomboy gone, maybe we can overtake Weber not only in the regular season at their place but in Reno. Good luck next year guys.

7 hours ago, UND1983 said:

They doubled Hooker on the in bounds.  No chance.  Smart move by Randino.

I know, wasn't a dumb play by crandall, just frustrating. I thought und played a pretty solid game against a really good opponent. With just about everyone back and the addition of baker, we will be good again next year.

Crandall is a freshman and hopefully will be more consistent.    He always has some silly turnovers, misses some easy  layups he shouldn't be,  missed some critical free throws, and missed the   game winner in regulation.   I love the guy and  he does a lot of great things  but if he does any one of those options better  we win the game.   What a great game and I was proud  of their effort. 

I thought last night was one of Crandalls best overall games.  He was aggressive and made plays for our offense.  

On the last play of regulation, it was a good look.  Can't ask for a better shot. I remember a two game stretch earlier this year where people were on Jones because we gave the ball to Hooker on consecutive last shots.  The play was fine, just have to make the shot. 

Saturday Morning Quarterback Time that has nothing to do with UND actually did:  if you had to do it all over would you take timout right when you notice they were doubling Hooker?  Then, reconfigure and make sure you come down hard with Crandall four on three, leaving Hooker out of the picture near half court.

Once again, just trying to replay it in my head the NEXT morning.  Geno got a good shot but wondering if they could have somehow got a layup based on Weber's defense.

9 hours ago, Siouxphan27 said:

I agree but they played it correctly and took Hooker completely out of the play with two guys on him almost the entire 11 seconds.  

Before that, we let them clear out for Senglin to do whatever he wanted one on one for 5 seconds before he drained his three to tie it up.   During the timeout beforehand, a coach with a brain instructs his team to double Senglin to get the ball out of his hands.     

Crandall played senglen tight on that play and.forced him to take.a very tough shot.  You could tell.by the way crandall.was playing him, he knew.had help if senglen drove.  I liked.the.plan.  Senglen was just unconscious and knocked.down the shot.

The only thing I will disagree with you on is Hooker is playing at a whole other level now compared to earlier in the year when he missed those late shots.  The ball should of been in Hookers hands.  Percentages of success would of went up dramatically.

8 minutes ago, Dagger said:

The only thing I will disagree with you on is Hooker is playing at a whole other level now compared to earlier in the year when he missed those late shots.  The ball should of been in Hookers hands.  Percentages of success would of went up dramatically.

They double-teamed him. There was literally zero chance of him getting the ball and even if he did what was he going to do with two guys on him?

Rahe's plan to surprise UND with a double team on Hooker worked perfect, unfortunately.

24 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

They double-teamed him. There was literally zero chance of him getting the ball and even if he did what was he going to do with two guys on him?

Rahe's plan to surprise UND with a double team on Hooker worked perfect, unfortunately.

Surprised UND and BJ? Q has 38 at this point. Name one coach in the BSC in that same situation that would not make someone else beat them?

.........and on a second thought don't answer that question.

• Upvote 3

35 minutes ago, Sioux95 said:

Crandall played senglen tight on that play and.forced him to take.a very tough shot.  You could tell.by the way crandall.was playing him, he knew.had help if senglen drove.  I liked.the.plan.  Senglen was just unconscious and knocked.down the shot.

Crandall did all he could do defensively on that play.  it was just baffling to me why we would leave him out on an island in 3 point land guarding the best 3 point shooter in the league while we are up by 3 points.  I just kept waiting for the double to come over.   We came with double teams all game long to the wings and corners and it worked well.  I'd much rather double and end up giving Bolomboy a bunny with 11 seconds left and keep a 1 point lead than let Senglin work all alone for 5 seconds to gain separation.

I guess we will just have to disagree on this one.  I thought it was a horrible end of game defensive strategy when up by 3 points.   

1 minute ago, ArtVandalay said:

14foot wide open jump shot to win it. Isn't a coach in basketball that wouldn't want that shot.  He just air balled it. 

By a freshman.  Rahe got what he wanted.  Not arguing that it wasn't a good shot to take, though.  Just not the perfect setup for UND as they obviously wanted Hooker to take it but he was doubled.  

Conversely, Weber had their best shooter take the 3 to tie it.  Sucks it worked out that way after UND played them even all game.

7 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

re-watching the last play:

-they tried to free Hooker off the double team, but the screen was missed.

-it was an open shot, Geno just flubbed it.  

I know it's tough to call a foul at that time but there could have been a call on the offensive rebound attempt.