SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA vs. WMU

AZSIOUX

That's the scary thing is that we could have a 3rd (I think) round draft pick ride the bench an entire year then have to battle against a top-3 statistical goalie for possibly two more years. Yes, Matej was recovering from surgery, but it sounds like he's been good to go since the start of the new year. It's seriously doubtful he stays long enough to be clear of Cam. I guess it's a good problem to have. Let's just be happy we have presumably three very capable goalies, rather than a situation like the 01-02 team had after Karl left.

26 minutes ago, SiouxTupa said:

That's the scary thing is that we could have a 3rd (I think) round draft pick ride the bench an entire year then have to battle against a top-3 statistical goalie for possibly two more years. Yes, Matej was recovering from surgery, but it sounds like he's been good to go since the start of the new year. It's seriously doubtful he stays long enough to be clear of Cam. I guess it's a good problem to have. Let's just be happy we have presumably three very capable goalies, rather than a situation like the 01-02 team had after Karl left.

Why is it doubtful? It's HARD to be a pro goalie. Just because he's a third round pick doesn't mean he's blindly given a spot. Sure, the Flyers will want to get him and will give him his shot, but it won't benefit him from running away. Remember, Hak is the coach of the team who holds this kid's rights. I'd be surprised if he goes anywhere, but I guess I've been surprised before.

56 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

My guess is no. No way he was guaranteed anything other than "he'll get a shot".... it happens. Anyone heard anything of him leaving? Only things I've heard about Tomek have been positive.

My guess is no too, however it does make one think about the possibility. Guys have left for worse reasons (cough Tambo cough) so I just hope Matej is ready to stick it out and earn his spot.  I have to admit though, I was really surprised he didn't get the start or at the very least play an entire period against the U18s.

21 hours ago, burd said:

I just hope no one gets injured this weekend.  That can always happen, but WMU plays very physical, and they may not have a lot to play for by late Saturday night.  Not that I remember them being cheap.

My thoughts exactly.  We were at the games in Kalamazoo and a couple of the freshmen learn quickly about keeping your head on a swivel.  They have some big dudes, they play very physical, and they have some guys with speed.  I am hoping that we don't lose anybody as they enter the critical part of the season.

Is one of these nights Senior night?  If the boys win Firday, I wouldn't mind seeing Schmaltz sit (and anyone else recovering from a ding for whom a rest would help).  It's not like Saturday will be the last home game, with the first round of conf tourney to follow.  If if's Senior night though, you have to play Caggiula, I think, even if a  rest would do him good. I know it's not really "Sioux Hockey" to sit players to avoid possible injury exposure or to just rest them, but I'd still like to see that strategy get some consideration.  Pairwise is a factor in the background, since seeding counts, and that's a strategy consideration too.  I'm guessing the coaches will just play those who are cleared to play and treat Saturday like any other game, regardless of Friday's outcome. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, burd said:

Is one of these nights Senior night?  If the boys win Firday, I wouldn't mind seeing Schmaltz sit (and anyone else recovering from a ding for whom a rest would help).  It's not like Saturday will be the last home game, with the first round of conf tourney to follow.  If if's Senior night though, you have to play Caggiula, I think, even if a  rest would do him good. I know it's not really "Sioux Hockey" to sit players to avoid possible injury exposure or to just rest them, but I'd still like to see that strategy get some consideration.  Pairwise is a factor in the background, since seeding counts, and that's a strategy consideration too.  I'm guessing the coaches will just play those who are cleared to play and treat Saturday like any other game, regardless of Friday's outcome. 

Saturday is senior night. I honestly think with St. Cloud on our heels we will try to get placed in St Paul and keep our foot on the gas

3 hours ago, SiouxTupa said:

I've thought a lot about this too. No way a third rounder stays more than 2 years on the pine. I've had inklings that he may bolt in the off season however isn't matej super young? Pretty sure he's the youngest goalie in college hockey. With that being said, Cam will receive an offer this off season. Hopefully he doesn't bite, however, if he performs well next year as well he'll most likely have to take it. Matej will beat out rinks next year and will hopefully get a decent amount of playing time, then his junior year is his.

1 hour ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

Saturday is senior night. I honestly think with St. Cloud on our heels we will try to get placed in St Paul and keep our foot on the gas

Yeah, and I suppose it's hard to support a culture where you give 110% at all times while treating any game as less important.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, burd said:

Yeah, and I suppose it's hard to support a culture where you give 110% at all times while treating any game as less important.

Not only that, but momentum is a funny thing.  It may seem like an unimportant game, but it's hard to predict what would happen to the team's mojo if they lost.

3 hours ago, scpa0305 said:

I've thought a lot about this too. No way a third rounder stays more than 2 years on the pine. I've had inklings that he may bolt in the off season however isn't matej super young? Pretty sure he's the youngest goalie in college hockey. With that being said, Cam will receive an offer this off season. Hopefully he doesn't bite, however, if he performs well next year as well he'll most likely have to take it. Matej will beat out rinks next year and will hopefully get a decent amount of playing time, then his junior year is his.

With the way things are in college hockey now with Pairwise, you don't see as much splitting goaltending duties unless there is inconsistency.  Remember Gino used to split goaltending duties many times during the first half, then chose to ride the hot goaltender after Christmas.  Now you almost can't afford to throw a new guy in, unless bad play dictates it.  Also don't know how any pro organization would look upon having a high draft pick ride the pine for a long time, although Tomek being so young, coupled with how long goaltenders usually take to develop helps the situation.  Agree that Tomek will play a bit next year if he is as advertised and healthy.

Not the right thread for this but can someone tell me why I think it's Robert Morris has a better record then 5 other schools including the gophers yet they're below those other schools in the pairwise and in the regular standings too. Is it their strength of scedule cuz I didn't think the gophers was that hard unless I'm just being biased

52 minutes ago, tnt said:

With the way things are in college hockey now with Pairwise, you don't see as much splitting goaltending duties unless there is inconsistency.  Remember Gino used to split goaltending duties many times during the first half, then chose to ride the hot goaltender after Christmas.  Now you almost can't afford to throw a new guy in, unless bad play dictates it.  Also don't know how any pro organization would look upon having a high draft pick ride the pine for a long time, although Tomek being so young, coupled with how long goaltenders usually take to develop helps the situation.  Agree that Tomek will play a bit next year if he is as advertised and healthy.

I'm sure the Flyers were getting updates on his rehab.

4 minutes ago, Emerald joker said:

Not the right thread for this but can someone tell me why I think it's Robert Morris has a better record then 5 other schools including the gophers yet they're below those other schools in the pairwise and in the regular standings too. Is it their strength of scedule cuz I didn't think the gophers was that hard unless I'm just being biased

They do have some bad loses and also beat 3 ranked teams.

17 minutes ago, Emerald joker said:

Strength of schedule-  Robert Morris 50th, UMN 4th

Also worth noting that the #1 seed, and a first round win vs. CC (likely opponent) will put UND on the ice for the Friday afternoon game at Target Center, March 18.

thats how it went last year anyway to ensure "bracket integrity" and more rest for the top seed heading into the Championship.

Lot of hockey between now and then though. 

44 minutes ago, GoalieMask said:

Also worth noting that the #1 seed, and a first round win vs. CC (likely opponent) will put UND on the ice for the Friday afternoon game at Target Center, March 18.

thats how it went last year anyway to ensure "bracket integrity" and more rest for the top seed heading into the Championship.

Lot of hockey between now and then though. 

If I'm not mistaken, UND chose the afternoon game.

13 hours ago, Emerald joker said:

They are in Atlantic Hockey. Atlantic Hockey currently has the 60, 58, 54, 51, 48, 45, 40, 34, 30, and 28th ranked team in Pairwise and that is better than the conference usually is. Any loss in conference is going to hurt them and they have 6.

54 minutes ago, UND-RedSox fan said:

They are in Atlantic Hockey. Atlantic Hockey currently has the 60, 58, 54, 51, 48, 45, 40, 34, 30, and 28th ranked team in Pairwise and that is better than the conference usually is. Any loss in conference is going to hurt them and they have 6.

Ok, thanks guys for clarifying