SiouxSports.com Forum

PairWise Rankings

jimdahl

27 minutes ago, UND-RedSox fan said:

St. Cloud loses tonight, Quinnipiac ties or loses, and we win. If that happens we are in 1st. Difficult to get ahead of SCSU without QU stumbling

UND gets ahead of St. Cloud if its RPI gets higher than theirs (Quinnipiac has nothing to do with it).  Quinnipiac has already sealed the comparison with St. Cloud due to their head yo head wins an one common opponent that they split the comparison.  UND currently has the common opponents comparison over St. Cloud, but is losing the RPI comparison, which is the tiebreaker.  If UND and St. Cloud play at the frozen faceoff, the winner of that most likely will have the fast track to St. Paul.  It's best not to worry about the pairwise until the conference tourneys are over.  It is very fluid with every game having an effect on every team's RPI.

13 minutes ago, siouxu31 said:

UND gets ahead of St. Cloud if its RPI gets higher than theirs (Quinnipiac has nothing to do with it).  Quinnipiac has already sealed the comparison with St. Cloud due to their head yo head wins an one common opponent that they split the comparison.  UND currently has the common opponents comparison over St. Cloud, but is losing the RPI comparison, which is the tiebreaker.  If UND and St. Cloud play at the frozen faceoff, the winner of that most likely will have the fast track to St. Paul.  It's best not to worry about the pairwise until the conference tourneys are over.  It is very fluid with every game having an effect on every team's RPI.

Quinnipiac results have an effect on SCSU and their RPI. We can finish ahead of St Cloud and QU if all three teams are tied in the comparisons. If QU doesn't remain ahead of SCSU in RPI then it is more difficult to pass SCSU. 

I know Pairwise is fluid. I find it fun to look at. 

6 hours ago, UND-RedSox fan said:

Quinnipiac results have an effect on SCSU and their RPI. We can finish ahead of St Cloud and QU if all three teams are tied in the comparisons. If QU doesn't remain ahead of SCSU in RPI then it is more difficult to pass SCSU. 

I know Pairwise is fluid. I find it fun to look at. 

Again how is it difficult to pass St. Cloud if Quinnipiac won this weekend?  If Quinnipiac loses again UND will pass them, as long as UND continues to win.

20 minutes ago, siouxu31 said:

Again how is it difficult to pass St. Cloud if Quinnipiac won this weekend?  If Quinnipiac loses again UND will pass them, as long as UND continues to win.

Every way I ran it on College Hockey News modifier for Pairwise resulted in us behind St. Cloud unless Quinnipiac tied or lost. I didn't think a UND win and St. Cloud loss alone would be enough for us to move ahead of them in RPI. Obviously I messed something up. From what I was seeing on their website, it would take a three-way tie and UND winning the tie-breakers for UND to finish ahead of St. Cloud. I'm no expert on Pairwise. I was describing results I found playing around on CHN. I more than likely missed situations where UND finished ahead of St. Cloud alone and was too busy trying to find ways where UND finished first.

The situation I was describing would have ended with UND winning the 3-way tie breaker for first. Again, I didn't think UND would pass SCSU in RPI with us winning and them losing. QU losing or tying would have allowed us to pass them in RPI and even if SCSU won tonight, it wouldn't have mattered because we would have won the three way tie breaker for first. 

I missed the simplest way for us to pass SCSU and went looking for another way to pass them. However, passing QU in RPI makes it very difficult for St. Cloud to finish ahead of us because there is no way SCSU will ever win the comparison against QU and us being ahead of QU in RPI guarantees us a way to finish ahead of SCSU using tie breakers.

I'm not looking to bash the PW, just for some perspective.  I actually like numbers and scientific analysis, and I surely don't want to jump off the 'Pairwise is flawed' cliff, BUT...how is UNO still even in the conversation?  Polled extremely high early, but now sits squarely at 6th in conference, with some spectacular meltdowns in the 2nd half.  Is Pairwise so good that it's hard for mere mortals to appreciate?  Is it simply designed to be perfectly objective and appropriately forgiving?  Is a 10-0 non-conference record really a miracle drug for an otherwise mediocre season?

Is UNO's resume worthy of an at-large bid?

3 minutes ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

I'm not looking to bash the PW, just for some perspective.  I actually like numbers and scientific analysis, and I surely don't want to jump off the 'Pairwise is flawed' cliff, BUT...how is UNO still even in the conversation?  Polled extremely high early, but now sits squarely at 6th in conference, with some spectacular meltdowns in the 2nd half.  Is Pairwise so good that it's hard for mere mortals to appreciate?  Is it simply designed to be perfectly objective and appropriately forgiving?  Is a 10-0 non-conference record really a miracle drug for an otherwise mediocre season?

Is UNO's resume worthy of an at-large bid?

The NCHC as a whole played so well outside of the conference this year resulting in losing conference games not affecting teams too much. Add in the fact that Omaha went 10-0 with a nice sweep of Mankato and we have a team set up nice to make the postseason despite struggling in the conference. We don't need to look much further than SCSU last year. Finished 1 game over .500 but still made the tournament thanks in large part to playing in a stacked conference and doing decent outside the conference. Or we could look at this season and see an under .500 Duluth team in position to get an at-large bid. 

Omaha's worst losses are getting swept by WMU and dropping one to CC. Look at the teams around them in the Pairwise and you will see similar losses. Lowell at 12 was swept by Connecticut, split with New Hampshire, and has ties with Merrimack and Brown. #14 Penn State went 2-2 against Ohio State and has ties with #47 Anchorage and #58 Niagara. Duluth is under .500 and one spot behind Omaha. The Gophers are the worst team in Minnesota and are two spots behind Omaha. 

As far as RPI goes, Omaha is as close to #25 RPI as they are to Notre Dame and BU tied at 9. So, with a very rudimentary look, UNO is as likely to drop out of the top 25 as they are to get into the top 10.

The fact that losses in the NCHC hurt a lot less than losses within the Big 10 or WCHA or even some teams in Hockey East and the ECAC is what is helping UNO stay where they are. But they are in position to drop hard.

My bracketology

Albany:

1.  Quinnipiac vs 15 UMD (swapped with MInny due to hosting and intraconference match)

8. Yale vs 9.  Notre Dame

Excel:

2.  NoDak vs 16 Minnesota (host)

7. DU vs 10. BU

Worcester

4. Prov vs 13. UNO

5. BC vs 11. Harvard (swapped with Lowell due to intraconference)

Cinci

3.  SCSU vs 14. Penn State

6.  Michigan vs 12. Lowell

The X and Worcester would be attendance dreams...

2 minutes ago, yzerman19 said:

My bracketology

Albany:

1.  Quinnipiac vs 15 UMD (swapped with MInny due to hosting and intraconference match)

8. Yale vs 9.  Notre Dame

Excel:

2.  NoDak vs 16 Minnesota (host)

7. DU vs 10. BU

Worcester

4. Prov vs 13. UNO

5. BC vs 11. Harvard (swapped with Lowell due to intraconference)

Cinci

3.  SCSU vs 14. Penn State

6.  Michigan vs 12. Lowell

The X and Worcester would be attendance dreams...

If it ended today....Duluth wouldn't make it....Robert Morris (AQ)

12 minutes ago, yzerman19 said:

So...ceteris paribus...if the NCAA post season started tomorrow the Excel would likely have:

UND vs Minnesota

Denver vs BU

Region of Death returns!

How fun would this be!

• Upvote 1

NoDak vs Goldy; let's make that happen.  1st of four straight seasoms facing them and hopefully that continues indefinitely.

The intensity is the greatest thing for the players and fans and UND can make amends for they way the '12 and '14 seasons ended.

I just stumbled upon the 2008 game at Marriucci that ended in a 1-1 tie; followed by fisticuffs and handshake shenanigans.  Who doesn't miss that? 

• Upvote 3

I got to where I hated everything about playing the Goofs

It just got to such a low that I was happy to never play them again

& the Pig 10 thing made that happen

I hate them so much I hope the entire league fails

I don'T know if a coaching change would help but he was a big part of the entire attitude 

Sure we were competitive but it went to far worse than that over the nearly 40 yrs I have paid attention 

& it is not a Minnesota thing I love the Vikings Wild & Twins

3 hours ago, iluvdebbies said:

3 hours ago, iluvdebbies said:

Minnesota is out as well wcha gets a spot also

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, squirtcoach said:

Quinnipiac is .0022 points ahead of UND in the RPI and idle next weekend.  If UND sweeps Western, I presume UND would slip ahead of them on the RPI and take #1 in the PWR, but I am no Math Major.

Depends what else everyone's opponents and opponents opponents do...