SiouxSports.com Forum

PairWise Rankings

jimdahl

I think someone posted yesterday they were surprised Providence had a better chance of getting in than we did, given that they lost their first round series.  It was then pointed out to that poster that is the reason their chances are better.  No opportunity to lose additional games.

6 minutes ago, SJHovey said:

I think someone posted yesterday they were surprised Providence had a better chance of getting in than we did, given that they lost their first round series.  It was then pointed out to that poster that is the reason their chances are better.  No opportunity to lose additional games.

Yes, they were ranked quite highly in the Pairwise before the HE tournament.  By the same token, Minnesota would also be in the NCAA tournament even if they didn't play another game.  

3 hours ago, siouxforcefans said:

According to CHN's twitter:  "We're re-running The Matrix b/c of glitch found affecting NCHC. Only major difference is North Dakota's chances of missing the NCAAs <5% now"

Ackbar Alert! 
Ackbar Alert!

giphy.gif

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

Yes, they were ranked quite highly in the Pairwise before the HE tournament.  By the same token, Minnesota would also be in the NCAA tournament even if they didn't play another game.  

Yeah, I was answering your question, I just didn't quote you.

30 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

So Providence has a 96% chance of making it - didn't someone post yesterday that the Friars were DOA?

Providence has a 96% chance of making it, but the strange thing is it doesn't really take a bunch of crazy outcomes to keep them out.

Let's assume:

Higher seeds win AHA and WCHA games.

Cornell beats Harvard in the ECAC.

DU beats UMD, and we beat WMU in the NCHC.

BC beats BU, then beats Lowell.

None of that is too crazy, or unrealistic.  But if it happens, then the B1G could really screw Providence.  OSU and PSU win their first round games, which they should, then upset MN and Wisconsin.  An OSU win in the title game is it all it would take to knock out 96% Providence. 

We can say what we want about the B1G, but all eyes are going to be on their scoreboard (if not actually in the arena).

3 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

Those odds resemble my chances most nights with my wife..........<5%.     :lol:

..................:(

Well, that shouldn't be surprising as most nights, MY chances with your wife hover around 85%.  :lol:

Yes, folks, I'm kidding.

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, siouxweet said:

If DU ends up being the number one overall seed would the committee keep them out of Fargo?

I doubt they would send the overall #1 seed to Fargo to potentially play a 3 seed that is playing basically a home game. "A fight is a flight" probably does apply here and they go to Cincy. 

4 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

I doubt they would send the overall #1 seed to Fargo to potentially play a 3 seed that is playing basically a home game. "A fight is a flight" probably does apply here and they go to Cincy. 

It's too bad that "a bus ride is a bus ride " won't send an eastern team on about a 20 hour road trip out to Fargo!  

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

Those odds resemble my chances most nights with my wife..........<5%.     :lol:

3 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

Well, that shouldn't be surprising as most nights, MY chances with your wife hover around 85%.  :lol:

1 hour ago, Blackheart said:

Hi-ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!

Ladies and gentlemen,

Thus explains why the band broke up. 

In case you forgot, this is Oxbow, Mafia, and Blackheart, and, yes, that is Sioux-cia pounding the skins. 

4 hours ago, siouxweet said:

If DU ends up being the number one overall seed would the committee keep them out of Fargo?

I think it depends on what seed UND is. If UND is a four seed then I think they (Denver) goes to Cincy, if UND is a three seed I'd bet they (Denver) end up in Fargo playing Canisius/Air Force/Tech/BG.  

• Upvote 1

I'm with Wilber: it comes down to is UND a 2, 3, or 4 (or the unspeakable). 

If UND is a 3 or 2, the #1 overall (assume DU or UMD) comes to Fargo.

If UND is a 4, it gets messy fast because of the no first round conference match-ups thing. 

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

I think it depends on what seed UND is. If UND is a four seed then I think they go to Cincy, if UND is a three seed I'd bet they end up in Fargo playing Canisius/Air Force/Tech/BG.  

I'm no great hockey mind but doesn't UND, provided they make the NCAA tourney, regardless what seed they are head to Fargo regional?

Just now, GDPritch said:

I'm no great hockey mind but doesn't UND, provided they make the NCAA tourney, regardless what seed they are head to Fargo regional?

UND is in Fargo regardless yes.  But if they are a three seed vs. a four seed it changes who ends up in Fargo as a 1 seed.