SiouxSports.com Forum

UND Fighting Hawks @ Western Michigan

AZSIOUX

UND comes off a tie and win vs cc in the forks while western was swept at SCSU giving up 15 goals on the weekend. 7/8. UND ends the regular season at home vs WMU March 4/5. Wmu also gave up 16 in a weekend to cloud earlier in the season as well as giving up 13 in a weekend to Umd.

After this series UND has a bye week before the final stretch. Could give a few guys an extra whole week if not ready by this weekend.

UND 20-3-3 // 11-2-1-1 nchc 3rd pairwise 

WMU 7-14-3 // 4-9-2-2 nchc 30th pairwise 

image.jpg

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, fightingsioux4life said:

This is one team in our league where the phrase "hot goalie" should never, ever come up. This team gives up goals in bunches; we need to jump on them early and often both nights and get the 6 points.

SCSU outscored them 31-8. 

Hopefully nobody buys into the goal differentials and believe that any weekend is going to be a piece of cake.  Losing to Wisconsin should have taken care of that line of thinking.  Minnesota outscored them 13-2 last weekend, so clearly every weekend is a fresh start for every team.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

Team that allows the most goals vs the team the allows the least?  No problem.

I disagree. Wisco will be as bad of a team as we've seen all season, very similar to CC or Maine. Now we obviously tied Maine because we ran into a hot tendy. But this term of "trap game" is kind of bogus to me. It's hockey, weird outcomes will happen, but not too often. The fact we tied Maine leads me to believe that situation wont pop up for a bit. And one could argue Maine is a better team the wisco (maybe).

Wisconsin wasn't supposed to be a problem either, but weird things do happen, especially if you approach it from the perspective that it shouldn't be a problem.  I'm sure UND felt that way after they got up on CC 4-0, so hopefully they will be on guard against that. 

11 hours ago, tnt said:

Hopefully nobody buys into the goal differentials and believe that any weekend is going to be a piece of cake.  Losing to Wisconsin should have taken care of that line of thinking.  Minnesota outscored them 13-2 last weekend, so clearly every weekend is a fresh start for every team.

Doesn't matter that the fans will think it's an easy 6. The coaches won't let the players do it.

20 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Doesn't matter that the fans will think it's an easy 6. The coaches won't let the players do it.

These are kids that don't have the benefit of years of seeing what happens when teams get overlooked.  We saw it last weekend with being ahead of CC by a lot. I'm sure the coaches warned them that the game wasn't over, but until it actually happens sometimes it falls on dear ears.  I would hope after the Wisconsin and CC games they would be ready to go, but players see the same things and stats as fans do.  I have no doubt that the players would be ripped to no end if it happened against Western Michigan, but sometimes fans need to show a little more respect for teams too, especially if they expect the players to do so.  Western Michigan has beaten some good teams, so they play well on occasion.  The key will be to jump on them early and let them get the "here we go again" feeling.  

46 minutes ago, tnt said:

These are kids that don't have the benefit of years of seeing what happens when teams get overlooked.  We saw it last weekend with being ahead of CC by a lot. I'm sure the coaches warned them that the game wasn't over, but until it actually happens sometimes it falls on dear ears.  I would hope after the Wisconsin and CC games they would be ready to go, but players see the same things and stats as fans do.  I have no doubt that the players would be ripped to no end if it happened against Western Michigan, but sometimes fans need to show a little more respect for teams too, especially if they expect the players to do so.  Western Michigan has beaten some good teams, so they play well on occasion.  The key will be to jump on them early and let them get the "here we go again" feeling.  

I just don't think this team has that type of mentality. We talked a bit about it before last week. The team came out with jump and didn't take them lightly. It's pretty naturual to start to coast up 4-0, regardless of opponent. I think they'll get after them.

I think a large part of the equation in the CC comeback was goaltending. I don't usually like to throw goalies under the bus but Cam looked a little too comfortable in letting some soft goals in.  I think it may have been a good wake up call for him and hopefully keeps him sharp moving forward no matter the score.

• Upvote 4

56 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I just don't think this team has that type of mentality. We talked a bit about it before last week. The team came out with jump and didn't take them lightly. It's pretty naturual to start to coast up 4-0, regardless of opponent. I think they'll get after them.

Don't get me wrong, I think this team has been focused better than I ever would have anticipated considering all the freshmen on the team, but every team is going to have some lapses, it's just a matter of whether they are substantial enough to cost them a game.  I hear Berry and some of the players talk about the need to be consistent and win both games because you will have to do that in the tournament.  I think it's good that mentality is a part of their thinking already. 

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, sprig said:

WDAZ will pick up the American Sports TV broadcast on Saturday night on WDAZ xtra (596 on midco cable, 8.3 with ota antenna).

Confirmed today that this is also the case in Fargo.  WDAY/WDAZ xtra will be showing this game Saturday night.  CableOne has this on channel 1028 or 1029 in HD.

• Upvote 1