SiouxSports.com Forum

UND FIGHTING HAWKS vs. CC Tigers - FRIDAY Gameday

AZSIOUX

Gardner and LJ answered the call with Cags and Schmaltz out.
Unfortunately the goalies and some of the dmen laid an egg on a few goals and it cost us a point in the Penrose race.

Hopefully tomorrow they come out the same as tonight...and then maintain that level for the next 2 periods.

41 minutes ago, Cratter said:

Seems to be more than just an injury doesn't it.

Well, you've got two other goalies who have both performed very well in the first half of the season, even excellent.  So Tomek is going to have to earn his way on to the ice, IMO

• Upvote 2

Some of my thoughts as the game unfolded:

What a great game!  Blowout city!  They might score 10!

Lets see 5-0!  Oh man a shorty! ?  

What!?

Uh oh....get him out of the net!

Wow.

YESSS!!!! 

What are the rules for the OTs again?

What a snipe by Boeser.  Whelp, 2 of 3 points after all of that.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, dagies said:

Well, you've got two other goalies who have both performed very well in the first half of the season, even excellent.  So Tomek is going to have to earn his way on to the ice, IMO

In my opinion, listening on the radio tonight, the other two just gave him ice time. Sounded like two of the goals on Cam were unacceptable, and Matt performed better, but not by much.

1 minute ago, dagies said:

How do you earn your way on if you don't get to play? If he is healthy, Johnson made a solid argument tonight for Tomek playing tomorrow. Once Hrynkiw warmed up he looked solid. Saved us in overtime and at the end of the 3rd. Started slow.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, dagies said:

I have a hard time believing a walk on goalie is going to be better than the highest drafted goalie to play at UND in forty years. 

2 minutes ago, Cratter said:

I have a hard time believing a walk on goalie is going to be better than the highest drafted goalie to play at UND in forty years. 

I see your point, but did he play like a walk-on goalie in the first half of the year?

That's a game we need to win, no excuse for only getting a tie out of that. Great start and in total control and Thompson fans on the pass and then tries to still make the pass after fanning on it and it turns into a CC shorthanded goal to give them some life. Get to the 2nd and seemed like things were back in control even though we were missing on lots of passes and most of our guys weren't really moving unless they had the puck on their stick but then Cam gives up a couple terrible goals and CC has a lot more life. Get a little bit into the 3rd get called for a pretty weak penalty and Hrynkiw is sliding all over out of position and CC ties it up and quickly after that takes the lead. Some desperation from Boeser, Poganski, and Gardner gets us to OT and Boeser/Hrynkiw salvage a SO win. I thought we used the bank it off the glass breakout way too much tonight part of the reason was probably because we had too many guys standing around and I think that was a big part of why we missed on so many passes. Neither goalie for the Sioux was real good tonight both looked shaky and out of position most of the time. I'd start Cam again tomorrow or otherwise if Tomek is fully ready and has been solid in practice maybe give him the chance and see what he can do with it. CC still didn't generate many offensive chances tonight just need whoever is in net tomorrow to play much better than tonight and hopefully we get a more crisp game on the offensive side of things and get a solid win.

3 minutes ago, dagies said:

I see your point, but did he play like a walk-on goalie in the first half of the year?

No.

I'm not saying Matt is a bad goalie, or Cam for that matter.

I'm just saying that a healthy, by most reports, Tomek barely even get exhibition playing time seems odd.

4 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Thompson should sit tomorrow. He's had some bad games before but not like this. Johnson also was very off. Give them both the night off.

On a positive note how much did Sanderson add tonight? He seemed to be a factor all night long and out worked every CC player to prime spots. 

L Johnson's two goals weren't enough?  Or are you talking about Cam? 

1 minute ago, geaux_sioux said:

Thompson should sit tomorrow. He's had some bad games before but not like this. Johnson also was very off. Give them both the night off.

On a positive note how much did Sanderson add tonight? He seemed to be a factor all night long and out worked every CC player to prime spots. 

When people say Johnson my first thought is always Luke. I was confused because he played as well as I've ever seen him tonight. But yeah, Cam had a rough night. Seems to be a very hot and cold goalie. Terrible against LSSU to start the season, then gets super hot for 8 games or so, and then back to the goalie I was nervous about coming into the season. Hopefully we get December Cam in March and April

1 minute ago, Cratter said:

No.

I'm not saying Matt is a bad goalie, or Cam for that matter.

I'm just saying that a healthy, by most reports, Tomek barely even get exhibition playing time seems odd.

I get that, and that's probably my first gut reaction as well.  I'm just trying to look at this from the perspective the coaches, who by all accounts are smart hockey guys and have more riding on wins and losses than me.  Long story short my guess is Tomek hasn't shown enough in practice to earn playing time beyond the other two guys, who have been playing well (for the most part)

1 minute ago, Cratter said:

I'm sure its about Cam.

I was assuming that too, but wanted to be sure.

Cam came into the game with the best netminder stats in the country.  If he fights the puck one night (and clearly he had an off-night tonight) I think you have to get him back up on the horse tomorrow.  Let him show why those pipes should be his. 

4 minutes ago, dagies said:

I get that, and that's probably my first gut reaction as well.  I'm just trying to look at this from the perspective the coaches, who by all accounts are smart hockey guys and have more riding on wins and losses than me.  Long story short my guess is Tomek hasn't shown enough in practice to earn playing time beyond the other two guys, who have been playing well (for the most part)

I don't disagree.:cool:

Time will tell what happens with Tomek. Just be nice to see what this highly touted goalie brings to the table;  us fans just have to wait and see.

14 minutes ago, snova4 said:

In my opinion, listening on the radio tonight, the other two just gave him ice time. Sounded like two of the goals on Cam were unacceptable, and Matt performed better, but not by much.

If Tomek is gonna get the chance to start this year I think it will be tomorrow. I wouldn't be real mad or surprised if Cam got the start tomorrow and a chance to bounce back though either. I wouldn't go with Hrynkiw I just think he takes himself out of position quite a bit and the rebound control usually isn't real great.

If Tomek doesn't play tomorrow or next week, I don't see him starting a game this year which seems very odd. Maybe the injury is just lingering and he's not ready yet. Hrynkiw has been as good as we could have hoped for this year, but it just seems off to me that he is playing over Tomek. What do I know though? I completely trust Berry and whatever reason he has is a good enough reason for me.

11 minutes ago, 808287 said:

I was assuming that too, but wanted to be sure.

Cam came into the game with the best netminder stats in the country.  If he fights the puck one night (and clearly he had an off-night tonight) I think you have to get him back up on the horse tomorrow.  Let him show why those pipes should be his. 

I'm thinking a night off may be a good thing for him. He played a ton of games in a row and kicked ass at a historic level. He's cooled off a bit and maybe could use a night off before posting 6 straight shutouts.