SiouxSports.com Forum

UND FIGHTING HAWKS vs. CC Tigers - FRIDAY Gameday

AZSIOUX

3 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

LOL!  Never heard so much positive-speak after a blown 4-0 lead against a bottom feeder.  Oh, if only Dave Hakstol was still around!  :lol:

I'm really angry tonight. It might not be a burn the Ralph to the ground response tonight because for some reason the free throw contest win feels like a win. Less bitter aftertaste. Still it is absolutely pathetic that it got to that point. The guys showed us in the first period how much better they are than CC. Hopefully we get that performance the whole game tomorrow. I'm sure the players feel like they let that get away from them and played like they had already won the game in the first period. I thought we had won the game in the first period since like Goon said earlier; we haven't blown a 4 goal lead at home since the 80's. 

You're probably right though. It would be a lot worse on here if Hak was still around.

22 minutes ago, SiouxScore said:

If Tomek is gonna get the chance to start this year I think it will be tomorrow. I wouldn't be real mad or surprised if Cam got the start tomorrow and a chance to bounce back though either. I wouldn't go with Hrynkiw I just think he takes himself out of position quite a bit and the rebound control usually isn't real great.

Agree, Tomek came in as a blue chip recruit.  If he is healthy we need to see what have and a good place to start is tomorrow night.

1 hour ago, SiouxFanatic said:

Thompson has been exceptionally terrible tonight. My lord just downright awful. Wolanin should be on the blueline instead of Thompson.

everyone seems to be calling out Keaton when another blueliner probably had his worst collegiate game ever.

5 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

everyone seems to be calling out Keaton when another blueliner probably had his worst collegiate game ever.

Because Thompson's mistakes were the most glaring and one was costly. 

I thought LaDue and Poolman also had a tough time as well out there.

The overall UND defensive effort struggled.

1 minute ago, SiouxFanatic said:

I thought LaDue also had a tough time as well out there.

Ausmus had a pretty brutal mistake as well. I think he got bailed out but I remember clearly thinking WTF Ausmus. Thompson's mistakes just lead directly to goals or should have been goals. I never noticed Shaw so that's not a bad thing for a defenseman. Poolman was good. Stecher is unbelievable. Nothing else ever needs to be said about him.

20 minutes ago, UND-RedSox fan said:

I'm really angry tonight. It might not be a burn the Ralph to the ground response tonight because for some reason the free throw contest win feels like a win. Less bitter aftertaste. Still it is absolutely pathetic that it got to that point. The guys showed us in the first period how much better they are than CC. Hopefully we get that performance the whole game tomorrow. I'm sure the players feel like they let that get away from them and played like they had already won the game in the first period. I thought we had won the game in the first period since like Goon said earlier; we haven't blown a 4 goal lead at home since the 80's. 

You're probably right though. It would be a lot worse on here if Hak was still around.

You are my favorite SS person of the evening. So much truth. 

9 minutes ago, SiouxFanatic said:

no they weren't. The fumble on the pp was bad though.

2 hours ago, Goon said:

In 1988 While UND was playing in the GLI. They led Michigan 5-1 and lost the game 6-5 in OT

Do you know when the last time it happened in Grand Forks was? I quickly looked through all of our games with box scores on USCHO and didn't find any home games where we blew a 4 goal lead. Their schedules go back to the 98-99 season. We did blow a 5-1 lead in Alaska in 2010, but that game ended in a 5-5 tie.

1 hour ago, SiouxFanatic said:

Vaunted Sioux defense not good tonight, along with our two goalies.  Sioux need to put the effort forth like in 1st period and last 5 minutes of 3rd period.  Effort and mentality are so critical to good results in hockey and there's no reason it should take a 1 goal deficit to a bottom feeder (albeit a much improved CC team over last 4 weeks, no doubt) to kick start that drive from all those NHL draft picks. 

My take from Sec 110:

1st period domination...at one point SOG were 15-1.

Periods 2 and 3 were atrocious. Absolutely terrible in the NZ and passing was poor. Seemed like Hak invaded Berry's body as all we did was try to chip it off the boards and take it down the walls transitioning out of our own end. Forgot they could use the middle 1/3 of the ice.

Players.....the good, the bad and the ugly.

Great to see LJ pick up some scoring. Sanderson and Gardner looked good throughout. #2 is just a complete player and what a competitor.

There was lots of talk about multiple D-man going pro this off season.....did anyone watch Fejes tonight. That is a COLLEGE power forward...not a NHL player. Ausmus had zero chance slowing him down especially on the rush. #4 was just......absolutely brutal. Just brutal. Pollman and Ladue were not good either. 

#11 had just an ugly game.....effort was there but struggles to make anything happen.

Cam.......well I guess goalies have these games occasionally but goals 2 and 3 were goals ND HS girls goalies let in. Really really bad goals. Keaton's disaster on the the shorty gave CC a pulse but those 2 goals gave them life. Cam needs to start tonight.....he'll be much better.

Didn't like the 3x3. Not a fan of college hockey shootouts.

UND got more points than they deserved last night.

Will see what this team really is made of tonight after that mess last night and not having #8 and #9 to right the ship.

• Upvote 4

53 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Seemed like Hak invaded Berry's body...

C'mon, Ox, you're better than that...NCAA semi-final game recipe of poor goaltending + bad defense = Hakstol's fault.  Flash forward a season and it's still a shot at a coach who hasn't exactly fallen flat on his face in the NHL so far.  

BTW, the dark jersey idea at home sucks, NCHC.

• Upvote 4

8 hours ago, SiouxFanatic said:

I'll agree to disagree. The errant pass to the CC player who was coming down the slot in OT was also bad. Hrynkiw came up big and made the save fortunately.

OMG, was that bad.  Geez.

Others have already mentioned it and I noticed it too, as little hockey as I know.  I didn't see the first period, but 2nd period was all about just trying to dump the puck out of the defensive zone.  Kept going to CC players in the neutral zone who would re-enter the UND zone, rinse and repeat.   Seemed like very little flow...no wonder CC was generating chances and UND wasn't.  It was ugly to watch.

I don't remember who was complaing about Boeser's frequent blind passes, but I'm guessing that's something that he has to adjust based on new linemates.  I've seen him make several throughout the year (usually with success) because the CBS line has a knack for knowing where each other will be.  Obviously, that's not something he can afford to do right now.

1 hour ago, MafiaMan said:

C'mon, Ox, you're better than that...NCAA semi-final game recipe of poor goaltending + bad defense = Hakstol's fault.  Flash forward a season and it's still a shot at a coach who hasn't exactly fallen flat on his face in the NHL so far.  

BTW, the dark jersey idea at home sucks, NCHC.

The playing "not to lose" chip it off the boards and only work the puck down the walls with a lead game plan......that's what I'm talking about. Hak did it most of the time with multiple goal lead at UND. Berry tried it last night.....getting the same result Hak got most of the time.

Dark jersey idea at least prevents us from having to look at those horrible yellow CC sweaters for 2 nights.