SiouxSports.com Forum

2016 Baseball Season

dakotadan

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Bump.  Last weekend of UND Baseball in Grand Forks.  Get out and support 'em.

http://www.undsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=13500&ATCLID=210944424

May 13
New Mexico State * Kraft Memorial Field (Grand Forks, N.D.) 5:00 p.m.    
May 14
New Mexico State * Kraft Memorial Field (Grand Forks, N.D.) 3:00 p.m.    
May 15
New Mexico State * Kraft Memorial Field (Grand Forks, N.D.) 12:00 p.m.  

Fitting that the final home stand goes the way it did...NMSU with the sweep.  6-0, 4-0, 7-2.

A rather subdued Senior Day celebration post-game, and if you were wondering like me whether UND would do anything - anything at all - in observance of the obvious, not a peep.  UND Baseball goes out with a ridiculously anti-climactic thud.  No appearance by the President or AD (Saturday's "Fire Faison" sign was absent today), no words, no acknowledgment.  Nothing.

Mind you, I wouldn't know the first thing to say under the circumstances, but I was looking to UND to find some way to make it special, to do something classy.  They will give more thought to table centerpieces at the umpteenth hockey celebration banquet than they gave to the demise of an entire program.  And I think that's sad.

8 hours ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

Fitting that the final home stand goes the way it did...NMSU with the sweep.  6-0, 4-0, 7-2.

A rather subdued Senior Day celebration post-game, and if you were wondering like me whether UND would do anything - anything at all - in observance of the obvious, not a peep.  UND Baseball goes out with a ridiculously anti-climactic thud.  No appearance by the President or AD (Saturday's "Fire Faison" sign was absent today), no words, no acknowledgment.  Nothing.

Mind you, I wouldn't know the first thing to say under the circumstances, but I was looking to UND to find some way to make it special, to do something classy.  They will give more thought to table centerpieces at the umpteenth hockey celebration banquet than they gave to the demise of an entire program.  And I think that's sad.

I agree.  I don't know what, but something should have been done to acknowledge/honor the fact that those coaches and players put their heart and soul into that program.  Leaving behind some sweet memories the last couple of seasons (e.g., Jeff Campbell winning the national home run hitting contest, three of last year's seniors signing pro contracts, beating Southern Cal two out of three to open this season).  Thanks for your investment, Coach Dodson, asst. coaches, and all the players.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

For something special to happen wouldn't Faison have to actually be in town?  Not only did he no-show up for the final home series of UND Baseball ever, he didn't attend graduation this weekend, either.  That's fairly embarrassing, IMO.  

17 minutes ago, UND-1 said:

For something special to happen wouldn't Faison have to actually be in town?  Not only did he no-show up for the final home series of UND Baseball ever, he didn't attend graduation this weekend, either.  That's fairly embarrassing, IMO.  

I'll reserve judgment until I know what he was doing instead. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, UND-1 said:

Do you know where he was? 

38 minutes ago, UND-1 said:

http://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/4034163-wayne-nelson-questions-questions-questions-und-athletics

Everything is going just swell in the athletic department, so we have been told.   (but, the hockey team won a Natty!!!)

I'd like to hear your opinion on how you fund 21 sports and stay competitive with schools sponsoring 16 or 17.   

UND needs to cut a couple more and reinvest that money back into its programs.   

• Upvote 2

54 minutes ago, UND-1 said:

http://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/4034163-wayne-nelson-questions-questions-questions-und-athletics

Everything is going just swell in the athletic department, so we have been told.   (but, the hockey team won a Natty!!!)

As for Wayne's last comment: Since the transition and up to right now, the Big Sky is literally the only conference option that provides what UND requires. There has been no other acceptable options offered up without leaving football to hang out to dry making those choices a non-starter. Until that changes, his last question is an absolute moot point.

5 minutes ago, homer said:

I'd like to hear your opinion on how you fund 21 sports and stay competitive with schools sponsoring 16 or 17.   

UND needs to cut a couple more and reinvest that money back into its programs.   

Certain I have stated that same thing.

BF didn't want to cut any sports, but Ed made him.  That is the problem with what's going on right now.  UND should be at 16-17 sports (without going into detail as to which one's).  But, BF's first pitch to Ed as to how he was going to meet the budget cuts was to do a bunch of things that didn't involve cutting sports.  Lack of vision.

UND should have cut 4-5 sports all at the same time, including two more women's sports.  I think that will be coming sometime in the next year.  Why not do it all at once?  And Miller's Title IX article showed that Baseball was not a casualty of Title IX and UND easily could have cut women's sports.

• Upvote 1

Big Sky sports where UND finished last or next to last..

Soccer, M/W Tennis and Softball.

Big Sky sports where UND is competitive..

Football, M/W Basketball and Volleyball.

Sports where UND has not been competitive, but improving and will improve due to the HPC, M/W Track and Field.

Where UND does the worst is in the non-revenue sports.

Go Sioux!!

• Upvote 1