SiouxSports.com Forum

2016 Season

shep

8 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

So UND shouldn't have scheduled Sam Houston State to a non-conference home and home, either? 

You want to be the best, you have to beat the best. Thank God Bubba isn't shying away from winning every game on the schedule - that's the way it NEEDS to be. 

Lastly, Bowling Green is a MAC team; UND should be able to hang with most, if not all, from that mediocre FBS conference. 

Sam Houston is slowing it down more under Keeler.  Simple spread.  

Who said Bubba wasn't supposed to actually win the games on the schedule?  Meh.  

Regarding NDSU's FBS scheduling philosophy, which made their program, GT and CB came out after a few years and flat out stated they try and schedule games where they matchup well and are winnable.  Minnesota  Ball State, Central Michigan, Wyoming, Iowa State, Minnesota, Colorado State, Kansas, Kansas State.  Most all of those teams were normal/slower paced teams with average offenses.  Midwest type of teams. 

Very similar to Wyoming last year.  

To sum it up, I do think UND can win the game.  Don't like the matchup vs. their offense because of our shortcomings at corner but I do think their offense will be down this year a bit due to the losses and coaching change.  Will take time to gel.  

Like I said before, UND's offense needs to win the game through ball control and a demoralizing running attack.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

I understand that. My point was, they haven't shied away from competition. They go out expecting to win, regardless of who they play or where they play. 

Charleston Southern, Deleware State, Farris State, Prarie View A&M, Incarnate Word, St. Fracis, Robert Morris, and Lafayette. You're right, they ain't scared.

To each their own in terms of opinions but I guess my opinion on this matter is that there is a bit too much nitpicking going on here.

Yes, playing fast-paced teams is scary and a bad match-up for teams with little corner depth and that can't tackle in space. Yes, playing PAC-12 teams like Utah and Washington will be more difficult than playing MWC (Wyoming) and MAC (Bowling Green) teams, but it does set you up for a big-time splash win for the program. Since a win versus Wyoming brought confidence to the program last season, what would a win versus Utah or Washington do? That kind of potential win cannot be overlooked, in my opinion. Go for the big win, even if that includes an up-tempo team from the MAC. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Charleston Southern, Deleware State, Farris State, Prarie View A&M, Incarnate Word, St. Fracis, Robert Morris, and Lafayette. You're right, they ain't scared.

You just had to nitpick, didn't you. :) I know they have scheduled some soft teams too (I seriously didn't know what Incarnate Word was when I first saw it on their schedule; though it was a typing error), but my point was more directed that UND should not schedule teams based on their style, or the team being too tough. If we want to compete with the best, we need to play the best.

It was really a comment more directed toward what UND is trying to do vs. a pat on the back for Moo U.

6 minutes ago, UND-1 said:

To sum it up, I do think UND can win the game.  Don't like the matchup vs. their offense because of our shortcomings at corner but I do think their offense will be down this year a bit due to the losses and coaching change.  Will take time to gel.  

Like I said before, UND's offense needs to win the game through ball control and a demoralizing running attack.

Fair statement, and our team is certainly capable of this. On paper we should be a little better with our passing game, so hopefully we can mix it up.

Most interesting thing to watch for in this game will be one of the FCS's top defensive lines against one of the FBS's most experienced.

Just now, siouxfan512 said:

You just had to nitpick, didn't you. :) I know they have scheduled some soft teams too (I seriously didn't know what Incarnate Word was when I first saw it on their schedule; though it was a typing error), but my point was more directed that UND should not schedule teams based on their style, or the team being too tough. If we want to compete with the best, we need to play the best.

It was really a comment more directed toward what UND is trying to do vs. a pat on the back for Moo U.

NDSU has a formula for getting to the playoffs and having the all important home field. Play 1-2 non conference one time tomato can each year at home. They've paid big bucks to some terrible teams only the reap the rewards through home playoff games and titles.

I don't think they're quite as calculating with the FBS schools that they schedule now. Oregon doesn't fit the usual profile. Iowa does, I wouldn't be suprised to see them win that one.

Bowling Green was agreed to/scheduled in late 2011 when Dave Clawson was the head coach and they were coming off of a 5-7 record preceded by a 2-10 performance in 2010. Pretty sure Clawson doesn't run a hurry-up offense. In 2011 they ran an average of 69 plays per game with a pass/run ratio of around 52/48. Dino Babers didn't show up until 2014. Last year, under Babers, they averaged 81 plays per game with a pass/run ratio of 42/58. Seems to me that when it was scheduled, they were scheduling a middle of the road MAC team (at best) that ran a typical offense.

Wyoming on the other hand was definitely running a spread offense under Christensen when they were scheduled in early 2011. They didn't switch to a more traditional offense until Bohl took over in 2014.

For comparison, last year UND averaged 66 plays per game at a run/pass ratio of 30/70. That skews towards running for various reasons including Keaton still learning the offense, being injured and that Santiago guy and the rest of the backfield being pretty good.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Bowling Green was agreed to/scheduled in late 2011 when Dave Clawson was the head coach and they were coming off of a 5-7 record preceded by a 2-10 performance in 2010. Pretty sure Clawson doesn't run a hurry-up offense. In 2011 they ran an average of 69 plays per game with a pass/run ratio of around 52/48. Dino Babers didn't show up until 2014. Last year, under Babers, they averaged 81 plays per game with a pass/run ratio of 42/58. Seems to me that when it was scheduled, they were scheduling a middle of the road MAC team (at best) that ran a typical offense.

Wyoming on the other hand was definitely running a spread offense under Christensen when they were scheduled in early 2011. They didn't switch to a more traditional offense until Bohl took over in 2014.

That is true and undeniable.  I probably shouldn't have called out Faison for the BG game being it was scheduled so far out.  I didn't like playing a game like that and my point earlier about NDSU being able to somehow, someway schedule ideal teams is the point.  

Charleston Southern, Deleware State, Farris State, Prarie View A&M, Incarnate Word, St. Francis, Robert Morris, and Lafayette. 

UND plays any of these teams last year instead of SU and they make the playoffs(then again who knows based on the reasoning given by the committee)  However, no regrets - Bubba did the right thing for the state of ND. 

8 minutes ago, Nodak78 said:

UND rec'd 1 first place vote in the coaches poll.  any bets it was Barney?  Barney respects our program.

That is a pretty solids bet. I really don't care where we are ranked preseason. I'd like to say we are better off under the radar, but I don't think we will actually be overlooked.

I'm surprised EWU is getting so much love, given their performance last season.Hard to not show some love to NAU or PSU after last season, and MT certainly deserves to be in one of those top spots. UND is probably in about the right spot for preseason. Remember they were much improved last year, but still missed the playoffs and showed where they could be exposed.

I do see us finishing in the top 2, especially given our schedule.

• Upvote 3

Mussman put the perception and reality of und football straight in the toilet!   Bubbas finally above the water but the d1 transition has been brutal.  I guess the perception of und football is " prove your worth" before being recognized. The reality is that they will prove it this year 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, UNDColorado said:

Polls are out:

Media picks us 4th

Coaches pick us 5th

http://www.bigskyconf.com/news/2016/7/12/FB_0712161745.aspx

So our Conference schedule looks like this:

@ 7/8 Montana St.

9 Cal Poly

@ 11/13 Sacramento St.

7 Southern Utah

@ 12/11 Idaho St.

6 Weber

@ 10 Northern Colorado

1 Northern Arizona

While rankings don't mean too much this time of year, we can now confirm how favorable our schedule appears to be.  Only 1 conference game against a team in the top 5, and that is at home versus NAU.  We have an even more favorable road schedule.  If we take care of business, there is no reason not to think that last game of the year could be for a Conference Championship!!

• Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

So our Conference schedule looks like this:

@ 7/8 Montana St.

9 Cal Poly

@ 11/13 Sacramento St.

7 Southern Utah

@ 12/11 Idaho St.

6 Weber

@ 10 Northern Colorado

1 Northern Arizona

While rankings don't mean too much this time of year, we can now confirm how favorable our schedule appears to be.  Only 1 conference game against a team in the top 5, and that is at home versus NAU.  We have an even more favorable road schedule.  If we take care of business, there is no reason not to think that last game of the year could be for a Conference Championship!!

FYP. We have a nice schedule this year. Too bad we don't have more home games though.

47 minutes ago, UNDColorado said:

I am really hoping that last game of the year against NAU has some meaning!

NAU quarterback looks a little frail in the photo.  Hopefully he scrambles up the middle in Reyes's direction.

• Upvote 2