SiouxSports.com Forum

Lennon

gfhockey

Why is Lennon wanted as an AD anyway?  Maybe an representative to the Foundation, but he doesn't have financial or negotiating skills necessary for DI.  Roger didn't either and that is a big part of why UND had such a bad transition when they had to get rid of Buning.

I could not agree more - totally different skill sets - and from the way Lennon left us I see no reason to "reward" him with a job now.  As much as I appreciate Roger's contribution to Sioux football, his AD term was a disaster that we are still trying to dig out of.  

• Upvote 2

If we assume that certain coaches have been kept around for purely financial reasons, wouldn't it have been even more cost-effective to simply wait until they were going into the final year of their contracts, and then maybe offer a one-year extension? I guess I've just never understood the rationale behind offering multi-year extensions for coaches no other schools are pursuing?

It's a good question.  I guess I would say that by offering extensions instead of raises, he kept them around.  The coaches may not have been recruited by other schools, but if they had a solid job they may have been less likely to be actively looking for work.  This is assuming that Faison had the mindset that once the position was opened, the salary would have to be raised to allow for some quality applicants.

The coaches were performing just well enough that he didn't HAVE to fire them, but were complacent enough that he could keep them on the staff (and thus the back-burner) by offering extensions.

I'm sure Lennon had his reasons for leaving, and you can't fault a guy for doing what he thought was best for his career, but man, that was about as bad of timing as possible for the program.  It really hurt UND football.  

Even though Kill had SIU running high at that moment, and Lennon got more money from SIU, I still saw the move as largely a parallel move.  Yes, Lennon would have had the transition to endure, but I believed that UND could have been a top-level FCS program out of transition had Lennon stayed.  

• Upvote 1

Bubb would never go to Siu if it meant leaving the HC here.  It's his dream job.

Bubba wouldn't leave for SIU.....unless he got a 500k raise (just picked a huge number).  That is one great thing about Bubba being here......he WANTS to be here.....this is not a stepping stone for him to some other position.  As long as he continues to be successful I think he'll stay until he's ready to retire.

I don't know if anyone has brought this up yet but  do any of you think that SIU goes after Bubba? He has ties to the school and is doing a great job here.

No way this happens from either side - it was a stepping stone for Bubba he has no roots there. 

Lennon bailed on us when we needed him most. End of story 

te coach yes but that's it

go to the nisc lennon

Maybe he bailed on us because of the "Fire the Coach" mentality that seems to be pervasive.  Fire Hak?  Just asking.  We saw all of the things that Hakstol added to the program to get it more exposure and remain a dominant team, nevermind his relentless recruiting efforts, only to continually have to put up with the Fire Hak crap.   Loyalty goes both ways, and if you treat someone who was as successful as Hakstol, minus the National Championship, like that, why should they stay when they have an opportunity?  To be honest, I am surprised it took 3 offers and some arm twisting to get Hakstol to take the Philadelphia job. 

Edited by tnt
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Maybe he bailed on us because of the "Fire the Coach" mentality that seems to be pervasive.  Fire Hak?  Just asking.  We saw all of the things that Hakstol added to the program to get it more exposure and remain a dominant team, nevermind his relentless recruiting efforts, only to continually have to put up with the Fire Hak crap.   Loyalty goes both ways, and if you treat someone who was as successful as Hakstol, minus the National Championship, like that, why should they stay when they have an opportunity?  To be honest, I am surprised it took 3 offers and some arm twisting to get Hakstol to take the Philadelphia job. 

dale won a natty. Hak didn't. End of story. Here was no fire Lennon threads and Lennon was king here 

• Upvote 1

If anyone knows the cumulative reasons why Dale left and still is sour on him, so be it I guess...

However, I'd be willing to bet the majority don't know the details on that (maybe i'm wrong).  It appears to me that specifically gfhockey doesnt.

Enlighten us please.  I wasn't at all happy how he left, when he left, what he left us with, and who he took with him.  Please tell my why, as a die hard Sioux football fan, I should not hold a grudge?  

• Upvote 2

Enlighten us please.  I wasn't at all happy how he left, when he left, what he left us with, and who he took with him.  Please tell my why, as a die hard Sioux football fan, I should not hold a grudge?  

This. 

Maybe he bailed on us because of the "Fire the Coach" mentality that seems to be pervasive.  Fire Hak?  Just asking.  

The "fire the coach mentality" that you mention is just message board BS. And if coaches' feelings are hurt by what they read on a fan board, then I think they're in the wrong line of work. I don't think UND has ever been very quick on the trigger when it comes to letting coaches go. IMO, I think we've held on to people a lot longer than other schools would have, and in a few cases, much longer than we ever should have. 

• Upvote 3

So you dont know the reasons either.

You seem to know a lot.  Do your own research.

Edited by UNDvince97-01

So you dont know the reasons either.

You seem to know a lot.  Do your own research.

I would say he left for personal gain at UND football expense.  Tell me why this is an incorrect assumption.  As of today I don't think he gained anything but I sure the hell know he cost our football program a lot.

I don't know if anyone has brought this up yet but  do any of you think that SIU goes after Bubba? He has ties to the school and is doing a great job here.

I think they will want to start over fresh with an outsider, not a former coach in the Lennon regime, which was not successful. Bubba went to SIU because of Lennon, he came back here, in part, because this place is special to him. Why else do you think he was so emotional at the introductory press conference two years ago?

I would say he left for personal gain at UND football expense.  Tell me why this is an incorrect assumption.  As of today I don't think he gained anything but I sure the hell know he cost our football program a lot.

Well you are certainly entitled to that opinion and more importantly as you stated "incorrect assumption".

Edited by UNDvince97-01
  • Upvote 2

I think he got sick and tired of the lack of support for the FB program by the Administration. Also, the Athletic Department was in total chaos at the time and he didn't want to work under those conditions. The blame lies with UND's lack of support for FB, not Lennon.

I am sure there is a lot of truth in your statement.  To me it still doesn't justify setting the program back years in a spitefull move for personal gain.  It was a sideways move and looking back now not a very wise one.  I don't think Bubba would have done it under the same circumstances.

I am sure there is a lot of truth in your statement.  To me it still doesn't justify setting the program back years in a spitefull move for personal gain.  It was a sideways move and looking back now not a very wise one.  I don't think Bubba would have done it under the same circumstances.

You can't blame Lennon for leaving. UND should have moved up right away instead of sitting on their hands. If anyone is to blame it would be the administration at the time. 

• Upvote 3